Quantcast
Anyone have an Amex Platinum card? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have an Amex Platinum card?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by gqmw View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They changed it I think. Website says card anniversary date now.

Will maybe make some use out of priority pass, I have MLL access as well. Anyone been to any of their centurion lounges?
    You can use the $200 for seat upgrades as well. It's pretty flexible.

I've only gone to Plaza Premium lounges unfortunately.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

Amex Centurion lounges are way better than normal Priority Pass lounges, and only come with Platinum and Centurion cards.
    The one at SFO has a proper cocktail menu, decent wine list, and the food is actually pretty good, heads and shoulders above what you'd get at a Plaza Premiere.

The sign-up/referral bonus points get pretty ridiculous if you have people to refer.
    I had 175k of referral points last year (wife, in-laws, parents, friends) on the Canadian Amex Business Platinum. 25k points per referral so $250 cash or $500 of flights each.

You get Gold status at Marriott hotels, which gets you a room upgrade at check-in if available and 2pm checkout. If the hotel isn't at capacity I've always gotten an upgrade, which is nice.

The US business platinum gets you 1 year of WeWork, which now makes sense given the shit show that was the WeWork failed IPO. WeWork started the Amex partnership back in Feb and it only runs until the end of 2019. I never could figure out why WeWork gave out a $395/m product as a credit card perk, but now it makes sense... they were trying to pump up their subscriber numbers ahead of their IPO (also why it was slated to end at the end of 2019).

So funny benefit is that when people visit SF there are like 12 WeWorks downtown... I will book a spot at 3-4 of them, they all have free beer on tap, and we do a WeWork crawl and have a pint at each

Centurion food and cocktail menu... pretty damn good when it's free!
    Name:  centurion.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  37.5 KB
    Name:  sfo centurion.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  70.9 KB

My Ride
    Exploded.

lmao WeWork.

Damn Centurion food is WAY better indeed. Plaza Premium food is good but not THAT good.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Centurion is the bomb. I cancelled my Amex plat business card, for some reason a lot of lounges wouldn't let me in with that claiming its different from the regular Amex plat which was super annoying. Also after Costco cancelled I found I just didn't use it enough to justify the fees since I don't travel as much anymore.

That being said milking those self-referral bonuses was glorious.

My Ride
    Exploded.

For anyone who doesn’t travel much the Plat card doesn’t make sense. If you travel 1-2x a month, you make money on lounge visits alone [based on ($699-200)/12]
    Doing It For the 'Gram

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    For anyone who doesn’t travel much the Plat card doesn’t make sense. If you travel 1-2x a month, you make money on lounge visits alone [based on ($699-200)/12]
    It's break even if you just travel once in the first year. Use the $200 travel credit, and then the 50k welcome points as a statement credit towards travel ($500 value). Hard to justify for future years though if you don't travel semi often.
    ---

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    It's break even if you just travel once in the first year. Use the $200 travel credit, and then the 50k welcome points as a statement credit towards travel ($500 value). Hard to justify for future years though if you don't travel semi often.
    Oh yes, apologies. My statement is related to year 2+ usage.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    This and that.

Funny this cropped up. Was actually looking at their site yesterday and contemplating getting it. But not sure if there's any real benefit for me considering the $700 fee.

I have two Avion's right now - business and personal and put together I have close to 250,000 points that I pan to use for travel etc. I do travel at least 3-4 times a year and my thought process is that Avion is good enough and I pay I think $200 for the both cards per year. I do like the looks of the Plat but that's obviously not enough reason to get it. What really are the advantages that I would get with that vs my Avion's? Other than a cooler card I suppose.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Funny this cropped up. Was actually looking at their site yesterday and contemplating getting it. But not sure if there's any real benefit for me considering the $700 fee.

I have two Avion's right now - business and personal and put together I have close to 250,000 points that I pan to use for travel etc. I do travel at least 3-4 times a year and my thought process is that Avion is good enough and I pay I think $200 for the both cards per year. I do like the looks of the Plat but that's obviously not enough reason to get it. What really are the advantages that I would get with that vs my Avion's? Other than a cooler card I suppose.
    If you do get it make sure to use someones referral code. Its free $ for them so might as well.

I'm not sure specifically on the Avion's point value but it might be worth checking what the points are worth for both cards and see which gives more.

Platinum also has a pretty sick concierge service that can do a lot for you (at no charge) Lets say you forgot your wife/moms birthday or something but are busy (or feeling lazy). You can just call the # and say here's their address I wanna spend 100$ on chocolates or flowers or whatever and they go research places and book it all and have it delivered. I've also used it for concert tickets for big events that I know will sell out. You can set it up ahead of time and they'll have a bunch of their staff all try at once you scoop you tickets and charge your card. And they have some good pull at restaurants too, so you can sometimes get them to book reservations at places that won't let you book personally over the phone.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 10-31-2019 at 02:41 PM.

The Business Platinum is $499 and way better value. You get 75,000 bonus points for signing up w/ a referral (only 40k w/o a referral), which is worth $750 cash or up to $1500 of flights. No WeWork for the Canadian card. Card is metal PM me if you want a referral link for the business platinum card.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Geo View Post
    The Business Platinum is $499 and way better value. You get 75,000 bonus points for signing up w/ a referral (only 40k w/o a referral), which is worth $750 cash or up to $1500 of flights. No WeWork for the Canadian card. Card is metal PM me if you want a referral link for the business platinum card.
    Reading online and comparing though, it doesn't look like the business plat has the same benefits as regular plat? If I do go this route (getting a plat) I would cancel one of my Avion's. If I get a business plat, I would cancel my business Avion, if I get a personal plat, I would cancel the personal Avion. Not a big fan of keeping too many cards.

Also looking at the cobalt it may actually be the best card to be honest but it's just not cool looking. lol

I have a Cobalt and love it. 5% cashback at restaurants and grocery stores, or 10% towards flights.
    Hack: buy pre-paid gift cards at Safeway (prepaid visa, home depot, amazon, etc), pay w/ Cobalt, collect 10% back towards flights
    In fact that's mostly how I convert CAD to USD... I buy $500 USD pre-paid Visa debit cards at Safeway here, pay with the Cobalt, pay the 2.5% FX fee and the 1% card fee... still well ahead!
    Except when you're at the bar... you don't want to look like a degenerate paying w/ a gift card, so I always bust out the metal card for that

Between the Cobalt, Business Platinum and US business platinum, I've collected just over 1MM Amex points between my wife and I over a year. We travel a lot so the perks are absolutely worth it for us.

My Ride
    This and that.

That certainly makes sense. Cobalt is also metal eh? Reading the footnotes though, it appears that you earn 5 points for every $1 spent in a year until you reach 30,000 points. After that it's all 1 point per $1, correct?
    Earn 5 points for every $1 at (i) restaurant, quick service restaurant, coffee shop and drinking establishments in Canada, (ii) stand-alone grocery stores in Canada, (iii) delivery of food and groceries in Canada as a primary business, up to a combined maximum of $30,000 in net purchases posted to your account annually on these categories. Once the maximum is reached, you will no longer earn at 5 points for every $1 regardless of credits, returns and adjustments. Earn 1 point for every $1 thereafter. Calculation resets to zero each year on the Cardmembership anniversary date. Earn 2 points for every $1 at or for (i) stand-alone automobile gasoline stations in Canada, (ii) travel services or travel bookings including air, water, rail and road transport, lodging and tour operator sales, (iii) local commuter transportation in Canada including subway, streetcar, taxi, limousine and ride sharing services. Purchases at merchants where these categories are not their primary business such as general merchandise retailers do not qualify. Merchants are typically assigned codes and categorized based on what they sell. Earn rate of 1 point for every $1 applies when the merchant code is not in an eligible category, using a payment account or service of a third party, a card reader attached to a mobile phone, or online retailer that sells goods of other merchants, or the merchant category is otherwise not identified.
    But looks like you earn 2 points for every $1 on gas and travel bookings regardless though. Worry about switching to Plat for Business would be if it doesn't get accepted everywhere, then it would be am accounting nightmare.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

But looks like you earn 2 points for every $1 on gas and travel bookings regardless though. Worry about switching to Plat for Business would be if it doesn't get accepted everywhere, then it would be am accounting nightmare.
    That's also why I cancelled mine. For a lot of things Amex was great but a lot of places don't accept it. Gets tiring having to use a personal card and keep track of expense reports for reimbursing myself. I think Amex is better in the US but Canada is still hit or miss. Especially when I pickup a lot of supplies at local shops (small scale manufacturing)

That certainly makes sense. Cobalt is also metal eh? Reading the footnotes though, it appears that you earn 5 points for every $1 spent in a year until you reach 30,000 points. After that it's all 1 point per $1, correct?

Oh shit, the $30k limit is new! I forgot about that, I think it came into effect back in August.
    Cobalt isn't metal, Plat/Biz Plat is though.

Tbh I just used the Canadian biz plat for the sign up bonus, once I hit the spend (it was $7k in 3 months when I got it), I haven't really used it at all, and will cancel it before the year is up. I then referred my wife, which was worth 100k points (25k referral plus 75k sign-up), transfers 1:1 to Aeroplan so ends up being pretty damn good for paying $499!

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    That's also why I cancelled mine. For a lot of things Amex was great but a lot of places don't accept it. Gets tiring having to use a personal card and keep track of expense reports for reimbursing myself. I think Amex is better in the US but Canada is still hit or miss. Especially when I pickup a lot of supplies at local shops (small scale manufacturing)
    I guess another option is I just keep my Avion Business and also get the Plat Business and use it everywhere I can expect for where I can't then just stick to Avion business. At the end of the year drop the statements of both cards to the accountant for write-off purposes.

Looking at all this now though is making me realize how shit Avion is with 1 point per $1 spent and 1.25 for travel. That's nothing special. So I feel like I gotta do something about my personal card as well as technically that gets used for way more $ than business.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Geo View Post
    Oh shit, the $30k limit is new! I forgot about that, I think it came into effect back in August.
    Cobalt isn't metal, Plat/Biz Plat is though.

Tbh I just used the Canadian biz plat for the sign up bonus, once I hit the spend (it was $7k in 3 months when I got it), I haven't really used it at all, and will cancel it before the year is up. I then referred my wife, which was worth 100k points (25k referral plus 75k sign-up), transfers 1:1 to Aeroplan so ends up being pretty damn good for paying $499!

That's definitely smart. I am looking at more long term solutions though as in something I switch into and can just stick with for a while kind of a thing.

My Ride
    V8s

If the focus is just getting a cool card, why not do something like this? https://lioncreditcard.com/

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    If the focus is just getting a cool card, why not do something like this? https://lioncreditcard.com/
    That sounds sketchy as fuck.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Endorsed by DJ Mustard!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast