Quantcast
Anyone ordered custom 2 or 3 piece rims? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ordered custom 2 or 3 piece rims?

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Default Anyone ordered custom 2 or 3 piece rims?

Has anyone ordered them before? 2 or 3 piece forged? Do they send you a render or something of what they look like?

Just wondering how you know what you're getting after you spec them out, for example rotiform, some of their stuff looks so different depending on what you decide to do regarding all their options. or American racing, they just have stock photos on the website but you can "customize" them..

Any input appreciated.. thanks!

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

what brand are you looking at?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Maybe if you start hitting 5figures you might get that level of detail... but not in my experience. If only you knew a guy that knew how to use CAD...

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  93.5 KB

This is what I'm imagining as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone ordered them before? 2 or 3 piece forged? Do they send you a render or something of what they look like?

Just wondering how you know what you're getting after you spec them out, for example rotiform, some of their stuff looks so different depending on what you decide to do regarding all their options. or American racing, they just have stock photos on the website but you can "customize" them..

Any input appreciated.. thanks!
    I've ordered 3 piece wheels from the JDM counterparts. Everyone has similar configurations (Innel Barrel, Outer Barrel, Face Color, Barrel Colors, Barrel Sizes, Bolt Colors, Step Lips, Reverse Lips). Usually the face design doesn't change. I can explain through more a PM if you'd like.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    what brand are you looking at?
    Leaning Towards the Rotiform 917... 2 piece welded, it's 2k cheaper than the 2 piece and i don't like to see hardware..

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Maybe if you start hitting 5figures you might get that level of detail... but not in my experience. If only you knew a guy that knew how to use CAD...
    That's fair and kind of what i figured.. i know/follow the guys who do brixton and it seems they do that for their price point haha.. CAD's for bum's man =P , but it would be hard to do anything without any info to start

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    img

This is what I'm imagining as a result.
    Someone in my community had those on a dodge nitro loll just broke my heart everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by 3nergiz3d View Post
    I've ordered 3 piece wheels from the JDM counterparts. Everyone has similar configurations (Innel Barrel, Outer Barrel, Face Color, Barrel Colors, Barrel Sizes, Bolt Colors, Step Lips, Reverse Lips). Usually the face design doesn't change. I can explain through more a PM if you'd like.
    I guess you kinda answered my questions, the face design wont really change, just move where ever i set the offset?

I'm mini tubbing and cutting my axle so i can pretty much do whatever i want.. i just don't want to fuck it up haha..

Leaning Towards the Rotiform 917... 2 piece welded, it's 2k cheaper than the 2 piece and i don't like to see hardware..

That's fair and kind of what i figured.. i know/follow the guys who do brixton and it seems they do that for their price point haha.. CAD's for bum's man =P , but it would be hard to do anything without any info to start

Someone in my community had those on a dodge nitro loll just broke my heart everytime.

I guess you kinda answered my questions, the face design wont really change, just move where ever i set the offset?

I'm mini tubbing and cutting my axle so i can pretty much do whatever i want.. i just don't want to fuck it up haha..
    It is tough to give you a specific rendering but realistically it usually isn't too tough to figure out and often they have done more common configurations regularly and have pics of finished products to show as examples. As for the hardware, most of the major wheel builders have the ability to build 2 and 3 piece wheels of the non-welded variety with hidden hardware (bolts together from behind the face rather than the front of the face) which is beneficial as it gives you the ability to take the wheel apart if you ever need to fix damage or want to change configurations etc where with a welded wheel you get what you get.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i would shy away from custom rotiforms... have seen a $$$ set and the quality of finish wasnt there. the owner of said wheels has owned them all and he would never do that again.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    It is tough to give you a specific rendering but realistically it usually isn't too tough to figure out and often they have done more common configurations regularly and have pics of finished products to show as examples. As for the hardware, most of the major wheel builders have the ability to build 2 and 3 piece wheels of the non-welded variety with hidden hardware (bolts together from behind the face rather than the front of the face) which is beneficial as it gives you the ability to take the wheel apart if you ever need to fix damage or want to change configurations etc where with a welded wheel you get what you get.
    I see, thanks for the insight!

i would shy away from custom rotiforms... have seen a $$$ set and the quality of finish wasnt there. the owner of said wheels has owned them all and he would never do that again.
    Yah? shit, i was really liking that rim haha..

What other some other good options? i won a waffle for tires/rims haha

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Ccw?

It is totally possible somebody unfortunately received something that was not up to par, but in all honesty I have seen that with every brand of wheel and not just Rotiform. It is actually a very rare occurance but when it happens to someone, it isn't something they experience or see often so they assume it is always like that, but as with anything, humans are involved in production whether it is Rotiform, BBS, Advan or otherwise. I will say Rotiform is all owned and build by MHT which builds very high end wheels, even for other companies huge, well known and respected premium wheel lines that people don't realize do not actually manufacture their own rims rather than just marketing them as their own, and they are all built in the same machine shops on the same equipment with all the same materials. It is just the center cap that is different!

My point being, do not let one persons subjective experience taint an entire brand. There is no such thing as 100% perfection across any brand of any wheel, and Rotiform (MHT) is better than many/most.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

This guy is an industry guy Bob... he sees and orders money wheels daily

This guy is an industry guy Bob... he sees and orders money wheels daily
    Oh I hear you, but like I said, odd shit happens every day. I am an industry guy too and I have sold a lot of Rotiforms over the years, custom build and otherwise, and I have not had his specific experience with that line ever. It doesn't mean I am saying he is full of shit or anything, but I am saying it cannot be a blanket statement that they all suck because it just isn't so. In 100% absolute honesty, I have seen more quality control issues cross my path with HRE than I have Rotiform (or any of the MHT manufactured wheels for that matter) and HRE is undeniably considered one of the most premium lines. That doesn't mean I think HRE is shit. It just means they are all capable of missing something in quality control and finishing. I think you sort of have to expect that with custom build as it relies on more human input during the manufacturing processes and you need to inspect your shit before accepting them.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

He also is not a fan of HRE

But yeah, it was more so the lack of support from them with the issues than the actual issues... as it tends to be when something goes wrong that made him essentially boycott them... he is a serious wheel snob though. But for same money I have to agree with him that there are better choices to be had

Also they did look great when he first got them, the issues arose later on

My Ride
    Has wheels

What other some other good options? i won a waffle for tires/rims haha
    Off of which group? I'm a part of a few myself but haven't been lucky enough to win anything, yet haha. PM if you want.

Congrats on the win!

My Ride

Anyone want to comment on my offsets before i order? haha

Front: 17x8 0 offset/4.5” backspacing (it's what every website says is right)

Rear: 18x12 -50 offset/4” backspacing (these will dictate how i get my axle modified) Should have 6" of lip, because of the concave. They're also step lip.

Thanks...

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Help to know the car first! (Unless I skipped past it)

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Help to know the car first! (Unless I skipped past it)
    1967 Camaro RS, going to be lowered 2" and mini tubbed. might lower it 3 if 2 doesn't look like enough for these rims

My bad totally forgot that haha

Will end up going for a pro touring look, so flame away if you're not into that, but i love it haha
    Last edited by JfuckinC; 02-11-2019 at 08:14 PM.

1967 Camaro RS, going to be lowered 2" and mini tubbed. might lower it 3 if 2 doesn't look like enough for these rims

My bad totally forgot that haha

Will end up going for a pro street look, so flame away if you're not into that, but i love it haha
    It is tough to know if the rears will be right or not without the full measurements of everything. If your axle isn't narrowed I would think a 12" wide rim with a neg 50 will hand way the heck out but again it depends on how narrow the axle is and fender positioning (widend or stock etc).

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    It is tough to know if the rears will be right or not without the full measurements of everything. If your axle isn't narrowed I would think a 12" wide rim with a neg 50 will hand way the heck out but again it depends on how narrow the axle is and fender positioning (widend or stock etc).
    I'm going to have the axle narrowed to suit the rims after i receive them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast