Quantcast
Anyone ordered custom 2 or 3 piece rims? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ordered custom 2 or 3 piece rims?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by bruceod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Off of which group? I'm a part of a few myself but haven't been lucky enough to win anything, yet haha. PM if you want.

Congrats on the win!
    +1 curious what group

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Maybe it’s just me but I would have your mini- tubbing, and axle shortening done before I spec’d and ordered wheels. Ordering rims first seems like taking a crap, then pulling your pants down. You could do it but I wouldn’t recommend it.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Maybe it’s just me but I would have your mini- tubbing, and axle shortening done before I spec’d and ordered wheels. Ordering rims first seems like taking a crap, then pulling your pants down. You could do it but I wouldn’t recommend it.
    You're thinking about it backwards, i want to fit the axle to exactly where i want the rims, it would be more of a crap shoot getting my axle cut down and hoping the rims fit.

I reached out to the guy who will be doing the axle to make sure and he said it was the right way to do it.

regarding the mini tubbing, it doesn't matter as much, you can do a 335 tire with these tubs but i think im only doing 305. so after its tubbed and the wheels arrive, i'll set them up to where i want, measure between and report that back to the axle/diff guy to cut to suit.

My Ride
    14 Viper

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    You're thinking about it backwards, i want to fit the axle to exactly where i want the rims, it would be more of a crap shoot getting my axle cut down and hoping the rims fit.

I reached out to the guy who will be doing the axle to make sure and he said it was the right way to do it.

regarding the mini tubbing, it doesn't matter as much, you can do a 335 tire with these tubs but i think im only doing 305. so after its tubbed and the wheels arrive, i'll set them up to where i want, measure between and report that back to the axle/diff guy to cut to suit.
    https://www.dv8motoring.com/ or find Deviate on Facebook.

Tell Tony "Paul from Calgary" sent you.

Here is his camaro, which may be similar to yours:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tony...w=1368&bih=776

I have purchased multiple sets of wheels from Deviate. He will work with the manufacturer to get the specs correct. I ordered custom 3pc forgelines from him, and custom forgeline monoblocks from him as well. He is probably THE wheel expert in the viper community but he was a founder of ls1tech.com (I think, don't quote me on that) and hes a chevy guy through and through.

Details of your revised axle and tubs will be key to getting the fitment you prefer.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by parabs View Post
    https://www.dv8motoring.com/ or find Deviate on Facebook.

Tell Tony "Paul from Calgary" sent you.

Here is his camaro, which may be similar to yours:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tony...w=1368&bih=776

I have purchased multiple sets of wheels from Deviate. He will work with the manufacturer to get the specs correct. I ordered custom 3pc forgelines from him, and custom forgeline monoblocks from him as well. He is probably THE wheel expert in the viper community but he was a founder of ls1tech.com (I think, don't quote me on that) and hes a chevy guy through and through.

Details of your revised axle and tubs will be key to getting the fitment you prefer.
    Rim's are already on order!

Wish i knew 18 tire sizes were limited before i ordered though haha.. not many 335 options.

Cant tell what to believe online, does a 315 really looks terrible on a 12" wide rim?

My Ride
    14 Viper

335 in an 18 is very limited. G-Force Rival and Toyo R888r's. Michelin does do production runs from time to time, but the viper guys swallow them up quickly.

If you did 18" 3pc, did you do stepped lips or reverse lips? If you did reverse lips you could downgrade the look with stepped lips but likely get to a 19" diameter wheel with that change utilizing the same centres.

I have a new front set of 18x12" Forgelines that I plan to run the toyo 315/30/18's on. The Toyo's do fit "wide" but I anticipate they will still be a bit stretched. I will try to remember to upload a photo for you..

My Ride

335 in an 18 is very limited. G-Force Rival and Toyo R888r's. Michelin does do production runs from time to time, but the viper guys swallow them up quickly.

If you did 18" 3pc, did you do stepped lips or reverse lips? If you did reverse lips you could downgrade the look with stepped lips but likely get to a 19" diameter wheel with that change utilizing the same centres.

I have a new front set of 18x12" Forgelines that I plan to run the toyo 315/30/18's on. The Toyo's do fit "wide" but I anticipate they will still be a bit stretched. I will try to remember to upload a photo for you..
    I did stepped lip.

If you remember to upload that pic that would be awesome, thanks! i've seen a couple and they didn't look bad to me, i'd love to see what you end up with. Seems like a lot of porsche guys run 315 on a 12" wide rim..

Thanks for the help!

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Have you thought about a 28” tall tire out back? MT makes an ET Street SS in a 345/35/18 (28x13.5).

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    Have you thought about a 28” tall tire out back? MT makes an ET Street SS in a 345/35/18 (28x13.5).
    I did see those and i’d Love the look of that extra rubber, but according to DSE I can only fit a 315 with their tubs. After many hours of forum “research” I should be able to fit a 335 though, so it’s probably what I will end up with...

I’m lowering the car 2” as well, I have the full DSE mini-tub rear setup, so that might hinder the ability to have the taller rubber, I don’t know for sure..

Right now it has 255/70r15, and it actually looks decent, but they rub on the one side.

My Ride
    14 Viper

I did stepped lip.

If you remember to upload that pic that would be awesome, thanks! i've seen a couple and they didn't look bad to me, i'd love to see what you end up with. Seems like a lot of porsche guys run 315 on a 12" wide rim..

Thanks for the help!
    Toyo r888 315/30/18 on Forgeline GTD1 18x12. They fit a bit more square than I thought they would!

Name:  CD0D8E87-9F7E-4E73-9247-51E6343CBFBA.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  37.2 KBName:  DD97B160-460E-4389-8587-79833DF83C3E.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  35.1 KBName:  EAA3D4FD-A4AB-4C3C-A025-B4C58F5E05B4.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  31.0 KB

My Ride

That doesn’t look bad at all! Thanks for the update, appreciate it. First hand experience trumps all.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Yeah, those look pretty good. I’m switching my car over to an 18” setup and am going around 12” wide out back. But the car is bad enough for traction with 325/50/15 ET Radials...I’m not sure what it’d be like wth the Toyos.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

I did see those and i’d Love the look of that extra rubber, but according to DSE I can only fit a 315 with their tubs. After many hours of forum “research” I should be able to fit a 335 though, so it’s probably what I will end up with...

I’m lowering the car 2” as well, I have the full DSE mini-tub rear setup, so that might hinder the ability to have the taller rubber, I don’t know for sure..

Right now it has 255/70r15, and it actually looks decent, but they rub on the one side.
    Just curious, what type of look are you going for with the car? I borrowed a buddy’s 18” wheels to do some fitting and the short tires really looked terrible on the car...the rears were 26” tall (305/something, I think).

My Ride
    14 Viper

Yeah, those look pretty good. I’m switching my car over to an 18” setup and am going around 12” wide out back. But the car is bad enough for traction with 325/50/15 ET Radials...I’m not sure what it’d be like wth the Toyos.
    I don’t know what power levels you’re at, however Calvo Motorsports runs the Toyo’s On their TT cars from 1300-1800hp and the viper chassis isn’t designed for drag type racing. If you can’t hook on the toyos you may need to resolve a chassis issue, unless you’re above those power levels.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

I don’t know what power levels you’re at, however Calvo Motorsports runs the Toyo’s On their TT cars from 1300-1800hp and the viper chassis isn’t designed for drag type racing. If you can’t hook on the toyos you may need to resolve a chassis issue, unless you’re above those power levels.
    Sorry, wasn’t clear...car is fine with those tires at the dragstrip launching off the brake with boost. But aired up on the street without heat in them, they are easy to blow off. Because I have to drive the highway so much to get anywhere, I want a tire that wears well and gets okay traction for street driving. I’m still expecting to be skating around at any speed when under load though. I just don’t know if the Toyos would be more like the MTs or closer to a regular radial. I guess I could dial back power delivery in the tune but what fun is that?

My Ride

Just curious, what type of look are you going for with the car? I borrowed a buddy’s 18” wheels to do some fitting and the short tires really looked terrible on the car...the rears were 26” tall (305/something, I think).
    Honestly i'm a big fan of more tire, so when i get my tubs installed i'm going to do some measuring to see what i can fit, the only thing i don't know about is the DSE lowering leafs and how tall of a tire they can fit..

My Direction for the car is a bit all over the place haha, i think in the end pro touring, for now i'm redoing all the suspension and brakes, so it will be kinda the original body look but lowered on nice rims ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Next winter LS swap, maybe a turbo LQ? i dunno, my friends are super into that shit, i'm just educating myself.

Edit: now i'm wondering if i should see if i can change my order to 11.5's so i can do 305/45r18 haha fuck
    Last edited by JfuckinC; 02-09-2019 at 07:12 PM.

My Ride
    14 Viper

...I just don’t know if the Toyos would be more like the MTs or closer to a regular radial. I guess I could dial back power delivery in the tune but what fun is that?
    I’d take you for a rip in my car on the toyos if we ever have an opportunity. I haven’t driven on an MT but I understand the toyos are much more like a radial than a drag tire on the street. I have found the toyos hook good cold, and even better when they are warmed up.

I currently have the older r888’s on my car, but they are dated 2015 or 2016 I think, so they aren’t quite timed out yet. I also
    Keep them in my heated garage.

My Ride

MT says their 305/40r18 is approved for a 12” rim? (ET Street S/S) maybe that’s what I should go for..

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Honestly i'm a big fan of more tire, so when i get my tubs installed i'm going to do some measuring to see what i can fit, the only thing i don't know about is the DSE lowering leafs and how tall of a tire they can fit..

My Direction for the car is a bit all over the place haha, i think in the end pro touring, for now i'm redoing all the suspension and brakes, so it will be kinda the original body look but lowered on nice rims ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Next winter LS swap, maybe a turbo LQ? i dunno, my friends are super into that shit, i'm just educating myself.

Edit: now i'm wondering if i should see if i can change my order to 11.5's so i can do 305/45r18 haha fuck
    Then I’d think you’d want to run a 28” tire out back. I’m not familiar with the tub company but I’d be surprised if you can’t fit at least a 28” tire in it. Plus the extra sidewall high will be nice to have if you go turbo LS.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

I’d take you for a rip in my car on the toyos if we ever have an opportunity. I haven’t driven on an MT but I understand the toyos are much more like a radial than a drag tire on the street. I have found the toyos hook good cold, and even better when they are warmed up.

I currently have the older r888’s on my car, but they are dated 2015 or 2016 I think, so they aren’t quite timed out yet. I also
    Keep them in my heated garage.
    It feels like it’s gonna be cold forever...summer tires will never be needed again!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast