Quantcast
Keystone XL or Energy East - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Keystone XL or Energy East

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Default Keystone XL or Energy East

If we were given the ability to build EITHER Keystone XL or Energy East, which one would you rather?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    08 GSR

Energy East

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Energy East as well but I have a question regarding this.

Recently there was a story out of the US saying that they were now a NET exporter of Oil. If thats the case why do they need our oil?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Energy East as well but I have a question regarding this.

Recently there was a story out of the US saying that they were now a NET exporter of Oil. If thats the case why do they need our oil?
    What they export and what they import are not the same oil. Short story is that thier gulf coast refineries are built to run on heavy oil, like what comes from Venezuela and Canada. It would cost them billions to retool to run on 100% light crude.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    What they export and what they import are not the same oil. Short story is that thier gulf coast refineries are built to run on heavy oil, like what comes from Venezuela and Canada. It would cost them billions to retool to run on 100% light crude.
    isn't it the opposite for the east Coast refineries ??

They can run on Light crude from overseas but not the heavy stuff we produce. That's why Energy east will be for export mostly unless Irving et all re-tool or put in new processes.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    If we were given the ability to build EITHER Keystone XL or Energy East, which one would you rather?
    KXL has a proposed capacity of 830,000 bbl/d and Energy East has a proposed capacity of 1.1 million bbl/d.

So on capacity alone, EE was a better project. However, even if they had the same capacity, there were some huge benefits to Energy East to Canada, namely that it would reduce our reliance of foreign oil, have reduced the "well to wheels" GHG emissions of our refineries, and have created more jobs for Canada.

From a purely "oil producer" viewpoint, it doesn't much matter which project gets built, as long as the oil gets to tidewater to fetch world price. Although I suspect there's a small margin improvement the closer you get to the major importing countries in Asia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
    isn't it the opposite for the east Coast refineries ??
    I don't know much about eastern canada refineries, but really it doesn't matter, as those refineries are TINY compared to the texas/louisiana gulf coast complex. EE would have been mostly for export either way I thought.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    08 GSR

From what I understand, a majority of the pipe in the Energy East pipeline is already in the ground since they are using an existing gas pipeline and making it an oil pipeline. There's not that much new pipe that needs to be put in ground. They'll just have to construct that new pipe, and build new pump stations (or convert existing compressor stations to pump stations). From this stand point, seems like it'll take much less time and resources to build as well.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I have zero stake in O&G (well, except investments I guess), but I'd rather our oil go west and have to do with the assholes in Vancouver, then east and deal with the assholes in Quebec. Quebec is more likely to siphon more money. We give them enough as it is.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Last edited by XylathaneGTR; 01-18-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    What they export and what they import are not the same oil. Short story is that their gulf coast refineries are built to run on heavy oil, like what comes from Venezuela and Canada. It would cost them billions to retool to run on 100% light crude.
    Relevant story on the need for Golf Coast refineries to have access to heavy crude oils.
    https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oi...sh-Maduro.html

US refiners would LOVE for KXL to be onstream and flowing. That would be great for their business.

My Ride
    Bicycle

EE make the most sense since we are still importing from Saudi other there while getting rip off by US on our oil.

But damn Frenchies.

Keystone obviously. With EE going through enemy territory (QC) certainly line sabotage is on the table or blockade / protests around the PL stations. What about the QC Gov demanding more $ after construction or else? Too many idiotic moving parts. Also, figure if there ever was a leak no matter how big, that is ammo for the eastern enviro nutbar crowd to ensure no other PL would ever be built on CAN soil again. The bigger the spill the giddier QC/eastern PL opponents would be and the party would be on. Hell even a Lac Migantic disaster would get them wagging their fingers while celebrating.
    Last edited by Banff_Dude; 01-18-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Energy East gives us the tidewater access we so badly need, except it's on the wrong coast, but I would rather see us fetching better dollars for our product than to supply the US gulf coast refineries with more, super cheap, heavy crude.

We're better off with a west coast line. I'd rather see this happen than Energy East.

In an ideal world where Canada was unified and not so divided, EE for sure. Would allow us to stop importing Saudi/other country's oil and also allow us to export our excess to global markets.

As an "oil-rich" nation, it is crazy to think we are actually importing oil at all let alone from countries like SA.