Quantcast
Plastic water pipe taste - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Plastic water pipe taste

Default Plastic water pipe taste

Seeing as my current profession finds me in brand new homes all the time, I am curious as to how long it takes for for the water in these homes to lose the weird plastic taste. Our home is all copper pipes and if I run out of water I bring from home while at a job site, I would rather buy water then drink the odd tasting stuff that comes out of the taps of these new homes.

Now maybe the issue is our copper pipes are tainting our water but I find our home's water doesn't taste off when compared to bottled water as compared to the water in these new homes.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2002 jeep tj

I always find it funny tasting water from copper pipes or cups lol, normally waster will get a plastic caste from the plastic heating up or what not, but I do not have any kinda taste from my water in my house since day one lol

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

If I get a new home, I'll definitely want to install an "under sink" separate faucet just for drinking water. No more need to fill the Brita and no worries on tap water taste.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I get a new home, I'll definitely want to install an "under sink" separate faucet just for drinking water. No more need to fill the Brita and no worries on tap water taste.
    Your fancy fridge will have a filtered water dispenser, so you might not need that.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

A relative of mine jhas a fancy "pot filler" faucet above the stove. Runs on unsoftened and filtered water for cooking. Had another drinking water faucet at sink.
    I don't see the need, but when you got money, you gotta spend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

The problem with all the little cartridge filters for under sink and fridges is they get expensive replacing them 4-5 x per year and often have very little flow. I recently installed a large commercial filter bank in my basement and ran a line up stairs to my fridge and sink. At least this way the filters will last years and not months and be much more economical plus provide full pressure.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    The problem with all the little cartridge filters for under sink and fridges is they get expensive replacing them 4-5 x per year and often have very little flow. I recently installed a large commercial filter bank in my basement and ran a line up stairs to my fridge and sink. At least this way the filters will last years and not months and be much more economical plus provide full pressure.
    This is true, but I don't change the Samsung filter just because it tells me to. I've found it'll stretch 3x longer before there's a degrade in water quality.
    If you follow their stupid schedule and don't get your filters on sale it's like $100/yr in filters that were filtering completely safe potable water of the highest global standards.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The idea of filtering calgary water is somewhat laughable. It's some of the cleanest drinking water on the planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This is true, but I don't change the Samsung filter just because it tells me to. I've found it'll stretch 3x longer before there's a degrade in water quality.
    If you follow their stupid schedule and don't get your filters on sale it's like $100/yr in filters that were filtering completely safe potable water of the highest global standards.
    This, i measured Total Dissolved Solids from my water with a new filter and after the 3 months recommended change out and there was only about a 15% difference. I doubled the time and saw a 20% difference from new. IMO its a scam to change them so frequently if at all. I used the fridge primarily for cold water on demand, not because i feel the filter does much for the reduction of total dissolved solids let alone make it of "better quality".

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The idea of filtering calgary water is somewhat laughable. It's some of the cleanest drinking water on the planet.
    Everywhere I've lived anyway, there is a dramatic difference in taste between filtered vs unfiltered, which is the primary reason I filter it. I am not talking about the original BRITA filters that do almost nothing, but a good filter like PUR or ZeroWater (the brand new BRITA Long Last should be competitive now too).

Aside from taste, I can't comment on how much lead, dissolved pharmaceuticals, mercury, asbestos, cadmium, benzene, junk from decades-old pipes, etc. etc. are in Calgary's water but the filters remove all of that too (just in case), so for such a low cost that I like knowing that is happening.

I have a big PUR water tank in my fridge and change the filter ($5 from the USA) every 4 months or so. I can instantly tell the difference between the tap water and from the PUR. Also, there is a huge difference in how day-old water tastes. Old tap water tastes gross, old PUR filtered water is still very pleasant when I take a sip from my water bottle a day later, and I always have a water bottle on the go so that I am not building up dirty glasses or drinking plastic bottled water.

For me anyway, the cost is so low it's totally insignificant, the taste is dramatically better, and there is a safety net there (whether it's needed or not is debatable) which I appreciate given how much water I drink every day. I also make a lot of coffee, and the coffee tastes noticeably better with the filtered water without the chlorine/old pipe taste.

My Ride
    Trucks

I want filtered water because I like it room temperature. Even great quality water from our Bow River tastes like ass once it is allowed to warm up and I don’t drink enough volume wise if it’s cold.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

When we moved into our new home about 1.5 years ago, it took a good 4-6 months for the pex pipe taste to no longer be noticeable
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily