Quantcast
Wax on..... wax off..... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wax on..... wax off.....

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Wax on..... wax off.....

Just got done waxing the car for the first time ever..... yes.... ever. I've owned this car for almost 2years and never waxed it i know, i know. Thanks to me being a dumb ass my clear coat is gone

And ya.... for people wondering, its so dam easy. And the results are amazing..... even on my pos

My Ride
    06 Subaru Legacy GT

Default Re: Wax on..... wax off.....

Originally posted by 88CRX
    And ya.... for people wondering, its so dam easy. And the results are amazing..... even on my pos
    pos? what do you drive?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Re: Re: Wax on..... wax off.....

Originally posted by ThE tV 8 mE

pos? what do you drive?
    its a CRX.... body is in rough shape thats all

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

Ya man... I've had my car for about 6 months maybe a bit more, and just waxed it for the first time myself this week. Wipped out the good old meguiars 3step wax. It took me a good 6 hours total, but the car looks awesome.

nu finish, the once a YEAR car polish!

no seriously what did you use? first time I waxed my p5 I used some old armour-all crap I found in the closet and it actually worked pretty well. I use meguiars gold class now mind you.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Anyone use a buffer for waxin/polishing their cars? I'm thinking about buying one but I don't know if it's worth it.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by method
    nu finish, the once a YEAR car polish!

no seriously what did you use? first time I waxed my p5 I used some old armour-all crap I found in the closet and it actually worked pretty well. I use meguiars gold class now mind you.
    hahah.... i did the same.... found some old shit in the closet that my dad used once.

worked great.

My Ride
    V167

Originally posted by davidI
    Anyone use a buffer for waxin/polishing their cars? I'm thinking about buying one but I don't know if it's worth it.
    Is there a big difference when doing it with a buffer or by hand other than that your wrist wont kill once you are done?

I am guessing most people here would use a random orbital to minimize the chance of burning your paint, but is there a big diff in "quality of shine" that you'll recieve from using a random orbital and a true orbital (ie...kind that is similar to a grinder...)????

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I want it to save time more than anything! I just don't know if they work well for applying your basic wax or if it's only worth the investment for people who use cutting compounds etc. I know there are a lot of detailers on here so hopefully someone can give advice on brands or whatnot within a college students budget (read: cheap).

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Yes Power Polisher is definately the way to go. So much faster and easier, and the results are like night and day. You can buy a cheap polisher for those who wont use them that much. The one I use is a Makita and was around 350 bones. I have seen some for around 100.

My Ride
    V167

Originally posted by sxtasy
    Yes Power Polisher is definately the way to go. So much faster and easier, and the results are like night and day. You can buy a cheap polisher for those who wont use them that much. The one I use is a Makita and was around 350 bones. I have seen some for around 100.
    and how about random orbital? I'd probably prefer one of those....is one of them worth getting to save the pain of havin to do it by hand?

it makes a huge difference if you're polishing the car, but not so much if you're waxing.. just faster that way.

if you're gonna do polishing, get a random orbit. might not be the best of the best, but it's better than eating through your clearcoat

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

I have never used an orbital. I dont really think too many people use those anymore.

Lurking in some bushes outside your house
    My Ride
    S14/D21

A random orbital is only good for application purposes. In order to achieve professional results, a polisher like sxtasy's is in order. However, care and attention are needed so you dont ruin what you intend to fix.

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

I've got a "WEN" 8" orbital buffer/polisher from cdn tire ... I'm going to give my GF's cavalier a job of maguiars 3step so ill have some good before and after shots for you all to see how it works.

I'd like to find some maguiars NXT , anybody seen it here yet?
    DannyO

Oh yea, I also met Doris..

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

How much was your Wen orbital?

My Ride
    03' SVT Cobra 10th ann vert

i paid 70 bux for a 8" too.....thats all you need really

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Wen orbital is on sale at richmond cdn tire for ~50bux right now?

ill give a review after I do the girl's car.
    DannyO

Oh yea, I also met Doris..

My Ride
    A beater.

Yes, if you're polishing for the first time ever, here are the tips. Pay attention especially to the edges!!! I learned this the hard way, if you're careless, the pad can "catch" on the edge and spin right back at you. Also pay attention to the products, make sure none of them have silicone (and petroleum, I think) in them. They're pretty much banned in body shops, especially the aerial kinds (spray on stuff)- they are the most hated enemy of the autobody industry. If you want to get your car repainted, DON'T. EVER. USE. ARMOR-ALL or anything that contains these stuff. it is a nightmare to get silicone off the car and will cause MAJOR problems for the paint job, so do your refinisher/prepper a favor, and save yourself some bucks, huh? Just some tips for y'all out there.

As for specific brands, I haven't really tried a lot of different kinds of brands to really tell you what's good and what's not. We used stuff by 3M at SAIT, it's really good stuff but I think it's too expensive for the average college students like yourself. I have used Black Magic, it's not that bad! Mother's/meguiars- not bad.
    Also, don't wash or wax your car in direct sunlight.... it will really wreck your paint job by leaving water spots and cause some problems on your car. Hope the tips helped!

My Ride
    1ST GEN

All I have to say is: some kind of power buffer, they all work, Mothers three stage waxe kit.

It is the best but will take all day to "install".

It looks like a mirror, a white mirror. Beautiful. Do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast