Quantcast
Photo site or software that sorts photos? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Photo site or software that sorts photos?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Photo site or software that sorts photos?

Ive recently been cleaning out my house and I have approximately 10 HDD's and many more USB Sticks and SD cards filled with photos. I am looking for ideally some online service where I can upload all of the photos so that A) I dont have to keep them all backed up, B) The service would then sort all the photos into year based on the metadata and C) sort out all the duplicates. I estimate I probably have between 100 GB to 200GB of photos to sort. If anyone uses software that acheives this I could dump it all onto a drive and then use the software to go through and process them all and then I would upload it whereever.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Pretty sure Lightroom could do it this fairly easily, filtering through the year and exporting - $9.99 USD/month. Sorting the duplicates may take longer unless the file name is the same.

Get a Plug-In for Lightroom to export to Flickr or SmugMug, serves you'll have to pay for, but easy way to save them to cloud.
    Ultracrepidarian

Smugmug can do this all for you, and it will get rid of the duplicates during the upload process so there would be no need to pre-sort. It's the service I use personally as well. It's cheap and offers unlimited storage as well as a really nice way to display/share your photos. It's $47USD/year.

For generic backup I use Blackblaze ($3.99USD/mo for unlimited) and if you're an Amazon Prime member you get unlimited photo backup, including RAW (5GB max for videos and any other file type).

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Smugmug can do this all for you, and it will get rid of the duplicates during the upload process so there would be no need to pre-sort. It's the service I use personally as well. It's cheap and offers unlimited storage as well as a really nice way to display/share your photos. It's $47USD/year.

For generic backup I use Blackblaze ($3.99USD/mo for unlimited) and if you're an Amazon Prime member you get unlimited photo backup, including RAW (5GB max for videos and any other file type).
    I already use backblaze. I will look at smugmug. I do have prime too.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I have been using Smugmug for the last 5-7 years, don't recall, never seen this automatic sorting feature??? I don't really use many of the advanced features on there but would be interested in knowing how? Most I do is create folders/galleries and a few tags on all the photos in the gallery.

I do love Smugmug, just not sure about the automated part of this.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been using Smugmug for the last 5-7 years, don't recall, never seen this automatic sorting feature??? I don't really use many of the advanced features on there but would be interested in knowing how? Most I do is create folders/galleries and a few tags on all the photos in the gallery.

I do love Smugmug, just not sure about the automated part of this.
    Sorting tutorial is here:

https://help.smugmug.com/organize-yo...nt-SyL4glwkESM

You can sort galleries by "Date Taken".

The upload process would weed out all duplicates, and then you could sort by date - a couple clicks and you're all set.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Smugmug seems pretty neat, its also accessible from my work internet which is a bonus because Google Drive, Amazon Drive and Icloud and any other file sharing service is not.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Smugmug seems pretty neat, its also accessible from my work internet which is a bonus because Google Drive, Amazon Drive and Icloud and any other file sharing service is not.
    I've been using it for over 10 years now and I've never had a single problem with it. They improve it all the time and their support staff gets back to you in under an hour. The only other thing worth mentioning is you need a more premium account if you want to upload videos, make full custom sites, run an online store, etc.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I've been using it for over 10 years now and I've never had a single problem with it. They improve it all the time and their support staff gets back to you in under an hour. The only other thing worth mentioning is you need a more premium account if you want to upload videos, make full custom sites, run an online store, etc.
    is the website <your domain>.smugmug.com open to the public by default? I looked in the security options, public was unticked, I chose private. But It would be good if there was a password protected option for guests.

is the website <your domain>.smugmug.com open to the public by default? I looked in the security options, public was unticked, I chose private. But It would be good if there was a password protected option for guests.
    Yes it's public by default, but you have full control over what is public right down to the gallery level. You can make galleries fully password protected, or not protected, but only people with the link can visit, etc. You can set site-wide passwords too.

I think you need the next level up account in order to make it www.<your name>.com but that's not a big deal really unless you are using it for business.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Sorting tutorial is here:

https://help.smugmug.com/organize-yo...nt-SyL4glwkESM

You can sort galleries by "Date Taken".

The upload process would weed out all duplicates, and then you could sort by date - a couple clicks and you're all set.
    Ah okay, thought it was more in depth like Google Photos does. It automatically find all pictures of my cats and groups and tags them and stuff. My photos also go to google and I can always search for like Snowboarding and it brings up most of the snowboarding pics I took, regardless when or where, so it does some image analysis. Was thinking that's what you were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Ah okay, thought it was more in depth like Google Photos does. It automatically find all pictures of my cats and groups and tags them and stuff. My photos also go to google and I can always search for like Snowboarding and it brings up most of the snowboarding pics I took, regardless when or where, so it does some image analysis. Was thinking that's what you were talking about.
    Oh ok, sorry for any confusion. Yeah Smugmug is very powerful but is not smart enough to sort by content using AI like Google does, unfortunately. If you're looking for that you don't have many options - you could buy more Google Drive space I guess if you want to dump everything there. Smugmug is more of a "hey come look at my photo website" type thing, along with a full backup. It also makes sharing albums of trips, kids, etc. really easy with other family members. Embedding in forums is really easy too.

What Smugmug does is during the upload process, you can tell it to skip or replace duplicates, so if you selected "skip" it would weed them all out. Then you could sort by date taken, and it would arrange them all for you. You can't search for specific image content though.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I decided to go with google photos since I can just dump all the photos in there and it will auto sort the faces into albums with some pretty awesome results. Although I can see the benefit of smugmug for someone who is into photography as a hobby.

The only thing I dont like about google is the pricing model for more storage

100GB
    200GB
    2TB

I dont think I have 2TB of photos but Im pretty sure Ive got way more then 200GB. a 500GB or 1TB option would be great.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 01-25-2019 at 04:52 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You could get 1TB through g-suite for $10/mo which is in between the pricing levels for the google drive personal costs for 200gb and 2TB.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

I decided to go with google photos since I can just dump all the photos in there and it will auto sort the faces into albums with some pretty awesome results. Although I can see the benefit of smugmug for someone who is into photography as a hobby.

The only thing I dont like about google is the pricing model for more storage

100GB
    200GB
    2TB

I dont think I have 2TB of photos but Im pretty sure Ive got way more then 200GB. a 500GB or 1TB option would be great.
    If you don't keep original quality, they don't count against your drive storage.