Quantcast
Canada's New Food Guide - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada's New Food Guide

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Canada's New Food Guide

Lots of big changes and I really like it. Dairy industry can't be happy but fuck those guys, I want real French cheese anyways.

https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/?utm...E7I0ZHo48m8y-U
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    NC1

Eating stuff like that is gonna give you abs for 2019.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

All I remember the Food Guide being was a pyramid chart showing percentages of what it recommended you should eat for macros. Haven't looked at it since grade school since it was already an outdated waste of paper back then.

But as Miss Ommers knows, I just rely on Amway snacks to fill my dietary needs

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Miss Ommers

My Ride
    *The First*

So this should make a huge difference since everyone was obviously following the previous Food Guide. Now everyone will follow the new guide.
    Wait - how come there's so many obese mutants everywhere? Oh I guess the old food guide (which obviously everyone was following) led those fat fucks astray and this new one will fix it.
    Because everyone follows the Food Guide...

My Ride
    TypeR

Dairy Farmers must be pissed they got pulled
    Its sorta sad that part of it says "cook at home"
    IG:scboss

Dayum son, there be no cheese. The juice people can't be all that happy either, but its probably their own fault for leaving them in vats for years before serving.

Kidney beans are extraordinarily toxic if not cooked through. Best to avoid entirely, especially for millennials. The chance of a millennial spending a full 30 minutes to boil kidney beans to ensure safety and not 80 Celsius which acutally increases the toxin levels? I'd say odds.

One piece of advice for all millennials. Hard boil all beans for at least 30 minutes, and don't eat kidney beans unless they are the pre-cooked canned type.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-24-2019 at 05:37 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    So this should make a huge difference since everyone was obviously following the previous Food Guide. Now everyone will follow the new guide. . . . Because everyone follows the Food Guide...
    Well the document is used to teach kids about nutrition in schools, and yes, it absolutely does influence behavior. It's not magic, but over the long term, it does nudge behavior in a significant way.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

So this should make a huge difference since everyone was obviously following the previous Food Guide. Now everyone will follow the new guide.
    Wait - how come there's so many obese mutants everywhere? Oh I guess the old food guide (which obviously everyone was following) led those fat fucks astray and this new one will fix it.
    Because everyone follows the Food Guide...
    Not sure how much is sarcasm? But yes the old food guide was horrible, and most certainly would lead to obesity for a lot of people. This new one is better in a sense, but it's pretty intensive to actually find any information in it, the average person is not going to spend 3 hours reading this document to find what they need from it. So it's hard to say how much good this updated food guide will do.

My Ride
    *The First*

Not sure how much is sarcasm? But yes the old food guide was horrible, and most certainly would lead to obesity for a lot of people. This new one is better in a sense, but it's pretty intensive to actually find any information in it, the average person is not going to spend 3 hours reading this document to find what they need from it. So it's hard to say how much good this updated food guide will do.
    No one literally following the old food guide was obese. You can argue that the carb balance was off and that's fine. The fat people have zero idea and zero care about the food guide. The extent of their dietary knowledge is "Diet Coke better than regular Coke" and no one on earth drinks more Diet Coke than people 50 pounds overweight. Well that's not true because people 100 pounds overweight drink even more.
    And for them nothing is washed down by 32oz of Diet Coke better than: Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's, Red Robin, Popeye's, Tim's, Dairy Queen, Starbucks, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Arby's, Carl's Jr, and KFC.
    That's what they're eating 15x a week and no food guide has ever supported that.
    I saw a grandma at the dollar store buying about a kg of m&M's telling the others in line she "needed to get the healthy ones with peanuts for her grandson" and I'm seeing about 5 out of 24 kindergarten kids with a full sized can of Coke to go with the trash lunch their moron parents "made" them.
    It's Idiocracy out there and the Canada Food Guide doesn't have the marketing power of Coke or Brawndo.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

This has been a criticism that has come up from dietitians: accessibility and application. I forget that in our house, most of the things mentioned in the new food guide are fairly intuitive and nothing shocking. But for a family seeking guidance on how to improve nutrition, it could have been implemented better -- more graphics of what a good meal vs. a bad meal consists of, what should constitute a normal serving size for a meal, etc.

One specific thing I really like is talking about how to eat, ie: not eating in front of the tv, phone etc, eating with family/friends, stopping when you feel full. This idea of "finish everything on your plate" probably comes from our Grandparents who grew up in the Great Depression where food scarcity was a real thing. However that mentality has carried forward and I believe contributes to a lot of overeating.

In any event, it was an update that was sorely needed and despite missing the mark, is still an improvement.
    Last edited by msommers; 01-24-2019 at 08:18 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I don't know that there is a ton of new info in the revised food guide. Yes it's different than what I saw in grade school some 35+ years ago but the idea of half your plate being vegetables with the other quarters being protein and carbs isn't exactly new.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

I'm still strong on eat what is on your plate. Just make a smaller next meal to even it out.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

No one literally following the old food guide was obese. You can argue that the carb balance was off and that's fine. The fat people have zero idea and zero care about the food guide. The extent of their dietary knowledge is "Diet Coke better than regular Coke" and no one on earth drinks more Diet Coke than people 50 pounds overweight. Well that's not true because people 100 pounds overweight drink even more.
    And for them nothing is washed down by 32oz of Diet Coke better than: Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's, Red Robin, Popeye's, Tim's, Dairy Queen, Starbucks, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Arby's, Carl's Jr, and KFC.
    That's what they're eating 15x a week and no food guide has ever supported that.
    I saw a grandma at the dollar store buying about a kg of m&M's telling the others in line she "needed to get the healthy ones with peanuts for her grandson" and I'm seeing about 5 out of 24 kindergarten kids with a full sized can of Coke to go with the trash lunch their moron parents "made" them.
    It's Idiocracy out there and the Canada Food Guide doesn't have the marketing power of Coke or Brawndo.
    That's the thing though, you could eat Mcdonalds everyday and still be abiding by the old guide. It was just a straight break down of percentages for protein, fat, and carbs. With the fat and carbs being swung wildly out of proper macro balance. And no consideration that sugar is a carb. So if you don't eat any rice or potatoes, you could be drinking a gallon of Coke with your meal and be A-ok in the eyes of the Food Guide.

Just notice that I said "A lot" of people, not "All" people.

In any sense, it isn't the governments business to tell people what to eat, that falls to personal responsibility. But it's good to see they are making some improvements to the guide so that people who have no clue can at least not be led down such a terrible path.

I don't know how it compares to the old food guide (from this thread it sounds like it was horrible), but hasn't this been widely accepted as an objectively healthy/ideal diet for many, many years now? It's basically fruits and veggies, good proteins, minimal dairy, whole grains, and good carbs. Isn't that what a 10 second google search would have shown for almost forever? I've never heard of anyone actually following a country's food guide haha, but maybe some people do so it's good to have an update.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Will following this guide still enable our youth to achieve the only fitness goals that matter; getting excellence in all 6 tests of the Canada Fitness Test?

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    Will following this guide still enable our youth to achieve the only fitness goals that matter; getting excellence in all 6 tests of the Canada Fitness Test?

LOL. These were awesome. Having the PhysEd teacher stop you on pushups cause you are way over the maximum and he is tired of waiting to see how long you can go. Feeling like a total Bawz!!

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    I don't know that there is a ton of new info in the revised food guide. Yes it's different than what I saw in grade school some 35+ years ago but the idea of half your plate being vegetables with the other quarters being protein and carbs isn't exactly new.
    Old food guide had way less fruits and veggies didn’t it? I remember something silly like the 82 and 92 food guides being taught which seemed to suggest most of your diet should be bread, grains and milk products https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...ood-guide.html

Clearly there was some marketing involved from grain and dairy farmers of Canada back then, which is comical considering with the new food guide they have a warning to “watch out for food marketing”
    Last edited by J-hop; 01-24-2019 at 01:14 PM.

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

Dairy is listed under the protein category. Not front and centre anymore and no longer a distinct group, but it is there.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Old food guide had way less fruits and veggies didn’t it? I remember something silly like the 82 and 92 food guides being taught which seemed to suggest most of your diet should be bread, grains and milk products https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...ood-guide.html

Clearly there was some marketing involved from grain and dairy farmers of Canada back then, which is comical considering with the new food guide they have a warning to “watch out for food marketing”
    I grew up on this food guide:

I was told by doctor 50% vegetables. 25% meat (fish doesn't count) and 25% grain by doctor.

Lost 20lbs on that but plateaued.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast