Quantcast
Sunshine ski resort owner gets unfair offer he can't refuse from feds - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Sunshine ski resort owner gets unfair offer he can't refuse from feds

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Great post, @googe .
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Worth noting for comparisons sake.. even when you lease office or warehouse space, the improvements (fixtures) become property of the Landlord and have to be left in place. (You are able to remove items that arent connected permanently, bolted down or hardwired in etc) Reading into this a bit more, it certainly seems fair, although I dont get parks Canada suggesting a parkade.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reading into this a bit more, it certainly seems fair, although I dont get parks Canada suggesting a parkade.
    They're limited by additional space, they can't fill the road with parking lots due to avalanche danger and wildlife concerns. If they want to increase their parking, only way is to go up...

There's a lot of bullshit that Sunshine spews just to try and win public opinion. A more educated discussion would have been to spell out what is different between Sunshine's guidelines compared to Louise, Norquay and Marmot, then that is an apples to apples comparison, if only Sunshine has a finite lease but the others have open ended leases then feel free to bitch about it.

This is just the Scurfields trying to play up their situation. If you cant make your investment back in 42 years then you're running your business wrong.

I remember when a Scurfield got scolded for skiing out of bounds in a restricted area at SSV, then management fired most of the ski patrol. Had 6 season passes at ssv, haven't been there a day since.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Edit-
    Oh, never mind, I didn't read the first part of your post, I see you are being purposefully obtuse. No shit leases have end dates, usually leases are continued especially when it comes to land development, in case it needs to be spelled out for you.
    It's a lease. You don't own anything when you lease. New guideline rules on renewal. You have to figure out if you can make a buck based on new 42 years lease. If not, you can walk away.

So he has been on the land for 38 years. If he didn't have an ROI 2x over in that period, it's not anyone's fault but his own. And if he doesn't think he can make a $ for the next 42 years on new deal, he should step aside and let someone else try it.

This whole whoa is me PR campaign is just amateurish. Anyone with a brain can see thru it. And I'm ashame Herald editorial actually publish that opinion piece.

My Ride
    2010 S4

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    I remember when a Scurfield got scolded for skiing out of bounds in a restricted area at SSV, then management fired most of the ski patrol. Had 6 season passes at ssv, haven't been there a day since.
    Yup pass got taken away for be a dick to the patroller, instead of just getting the pass reinstated they decide to fire the patroller. The rest of patrol walk out for a day in protest. What do the Scurfileds do? Not only do they not back down for firing a guy for offending their adult brat or kid, they turn around and sue evveryone who walked out. This whole situation certainly proved to me the Scurfield only give a shit about themselves and the bottom line. They’ve dug themselves a hole in this mess and now are trying to sway the public to help them out of it by wagging a PR campaign against Parks Canada.

forced to agree to new site guidelines for Sunshine or have his family’s business sold out from under him by Parks Canada and, by extension, Justin Trudeau’s federal Liberal government.
    Pierre giveth, Justin taketh away, I guess.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Sunshine agreed to the site guidelines...

https://globalnews.ca/news/4885970/s...te-guidelines/
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post

That was quick. I guess last few days of PR didn't get what he was looking for.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    That was quick. I guess last few days of PR didn't get what he was looking for.
    Not to burst the bubble but that blurb was already in the article that OP posted since the letter was dated January 21 because that was also when the deadline was.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Not to burst the bubble but that blurb was already in the article that OP posted since the letter was dated January 21 because that was also when the deadline was.
    TIL Jan 2019 is almost coming to an end.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:31 PM.

My Ride
    Model S

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    Funny coincidence. When the little "Do you know who I am?" brat got a warning for ducking a rope closure and Scurfield fired everybody who was involved in detaining him, they also had the very same editorial author over at the Herald, Licia Corbella, write their spin for that incident too, about the poor confused boy who was being bullied for being lost. Their PR guy was also a former opinion editor at the Herald, so they are quite a family. She probably doesn't pay for lift tickets

Between the antics of Taylor Scurfield and Ralph Scurfield, it seems clear that an entitlement gene runs in that family. And then there is their father, who originally bought the place. He was killed in a heliskiing avalanche after he disobeyed the group's guide when he said not to cross a known avalanche slope (ironic), including repeated warnings to stop, and then the shits had the nerve to try and sue the guide over his death.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I don't know how much of it was true, I heard this from a guy from a guy.

Sunshine uses their own group of ski patrol while most other hills get the people from Canadian Ski Patrol. Supposedly at some time ago Sunshine did the same thing just like most other hills. One of the ski patrol decided to patrol on the owner's wife so the whole bunch got send away and never come back.

for shits and giggles, govern yourself accordingly

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3