Quantcast
Longer range tech predictions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Longer range tech predictions

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Default Longer range tech predictions

What do you guys (and some gals) think about longer range tech predictions - what evolution or revolution will happen in our lifetime?

-autonomous vehicles-

I recall about 10 years ago, while a co worker and I were driving through the Praries on the Trans Canada highway, commenting that I would see self-driving vehicles come of age by now - in terms of hands free driving.

Tesla and other have made this mostly a reality - in optimal conditions - but I feel that SMART ROADS (perhaps, embedded radar reflective sensors) are the future here in Canada, where the centre and edges of the roads have to be interpolated by humans during ~6 months of the year.

-autonomous delivery-

Amazon and others will come up with driver-less delivery vehicles. It would be some type of a van that has mini robots inside that are able to carry most smaller items to your door. Larger items would still need a human.

I personally don't think we will see a lot of extreme change in our lifetimes, just refinements / logical advancements for things we already have. Think about how long it would take to, say, completely change the way we view transportation and the related infrastructure. Not going to happen in the next 40-60 years IMO. It takes 2-3 full years for our city to add an extra lane to a short stretch of road... I think electric cars will get better and more common, but flying / self driving cars will remain a novelty at best. Even just looking at the last 40-50 years of automobiles, they have got way better and way safer but they haven't changed THAT much - certainly not as much as I think many would have predicted 40-50 years ago. When I was little I thought we would be flying around like the Jetsons by 2020 and here we are with most people still driving 5-10+ year old basic vehicles on roads full of potholes and horribly optimized traffic systems.

Supersonic commercial flight might become a thing again, but considering the average time for an all-new commercial plane to go from development to service is ~10 years (and that is with existing, proven tech for the most part), nothing happens fast at all, and safety is still the #1 consideration for most airlines. I think space (or outer atmosphere travel) for the uber rich will become a thing, as we are almost there already.

Delivery drones will never be viable in our lifetime, IMO as, the liability / theft / vandalism risks are way too high. Unless there is universal participation, it's very difficult to mix humans & autonomy. Not to mention the fact that after one incident of anything autonomous, you will have an army of Facebook soccer moms lobbying to have them banned, and they will probably succeed.

I think we will see the next stage of major computing advancement, whatever that may be (quantum or something). Things will keep getting smaller and smaller and more and more powerful. Enormous solid state drives, ridiculous storage capacities, etc. Smart homes much smarter. Nothing too crazy though, I don't think we will be walking around with Star Trek style glasses or anything like that. We are well past the point of diminishing return for lots of our electronics that I think progress there will be stagnant for a while relative to how quickly it changed over the last few decades.

Medically, I think we will be the last generation that doesn't get to live to 100++ on average with stem cell treatments / gene editing, etc. being the future norm. I think we need to wait for a bunch of the older generation in power to die off who are stifling many of these advancements for religious or political reasons.

We might see Fusion power plants replace standard Nuclear power plants. More efficient solar/wind/hydro generation, etc.

I'm more curious about to how we as a whole will deal with global problems like growing landfills, over population, diseases (cancer, etc.), climate change, etc. Again I think a lot of that will require new ways of thinking in government which will take a while, if it ever even happens.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-24-2019 at 11:41 AM.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you guys (and some gals) think about longer range tech predictions - what evolution or revolution will happen in our lifetime?

-autonomous delivery-

Amazon and others will come up with driver-less delivery vehicles. It would be some type of a van that has mini robots inside that are able to carry most smaller items to your door. Larger items would still need a human.
    https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...elivery-robots

My Ride
    Bicycle

gene editing

augmented implants

China's population monitoring reputation system goes global (not by design, just because everybody in the world downloaded TikTok on their phones)
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-24-2019 at 03:05 PM.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Easy - interactive walls and building siding.

Within our lifetime, I think we'll get the point where single walls of rooms (if not entire rooms) are walled with giant interactive touch screens, with a centralized pc/brain. Probably a small film over the actual wall, but who knows.

The tech already exists, it would just be adapting it.

Think about it - the whole living room wall is a giant screen - with windows, just like your tablet or PC. You can tap to open a section as a TV, drag it to make it as big as you want, move it around the wall wherever you want. You can have art/pictures on the wall, whatever size you want, wherever you want. You can change the room color in an instant. You could even have exterior "windows", using cameras pointing outside (plus still maybe having real windows).

Eventually with proper weatherproofing, it would get extended to the outside of buildings, you can change the colors/appearance of your house instantly. Imagine the Christmas displays if your whole exterior walls were touch screens.

Potentially even extending to automative exteriors, planes, etc. Think of the commercial advertising possibilities, or vehicle customization. We're already seeing tiny glimpses of it with car dashboards.

My $0.02

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Easy - interactive walls and building siding.

Within our lifetime, I think we'll get the point where single walls of rooms (if not entire rooms) are walled with giant interactive touch screens, with a centralized pc/brain. Probably a small film over the actual wall, but who knows.

The tech already exists, it would just be adapting it.

Think about it - the whole living room wall is a giant screen - with windows, just like your tablet or PC. You can tap to open a section as a TV, drag it to make it as big as you want, move it around the wall wherever you want. You can have art/pictures on the wall, whatever size you want, wherever you want. You can change the room color in an instant. You could even have exterior "windows", using cameras pointing outside (plus still maybe having real windows).

Eventually with proper weatherproofing, it would get extended to the outside of buildings, you can change the colors/appearance of your house instantly. Imagine the Christmas displays if your whole exterior walls were touch screens.

Potentially even extending to automative exteriors, planes, etc. Think of the commercial advertising possibilities, or vehicle customization. We're already seeing tiny glimpses of it with car dashboards.

My $0.02
    If you drop by Sportchek, this tech is already used. So it's not really future. It's now.

If you are talking about mainstream usage, it will have to be competitive to a $8 sheet of dry wall, 16 screws and paint which will not be any time soon.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    If you drop by Sportchek, this tech is already used. So it's not really future. It's now.

If you are talking about mainstream usage, it will have to be competitive to a $8 sheet of dry wall, 16 screws and paint which will not be any time soon.
    You would have to also add the painting and painter costs to that ... no more paint required.

Sounds VERY cool - to change an otherwise static setting like this.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

(not by design, just because everybody in the world downloaded TikTok on their phones)
    I'm being downloaded now?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I'm being downloaded now?
    You are quite popular.
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/02/ti...ds-last-month/

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

My brief research shows I'm popular with underage Chinese girls to show off their provocative dance moves with.

My Ride
    Bicycle

My brief research shows I'm popular with underage Chinese girls to show off their provocative dance moves with.
    It's THE future today!

My Ride
    Bicycle

After beating Koreans in Go, Deepmind has now beat them in Starcraft II.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/24/...&utm_source=dl

The jobs of military general/strategist won't last at this rate.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I hear ya bro
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I predict bitcoin going to pennies by 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I personally don't think we will see a lot of extreme change in our lifetimes, just refinements / logical advancements for things we already have. Think about how long it would take to, say, completely change the way we view transportation and the related infrastructure. Not going to happen in the next 40-60 years IMO. It takes 2-3 full years for our city to add an extra lane to a short stretch of road... I think electric cars will get better and more common, but flying / self driving cars will remain a novelty at best. Even just looking at the last 40-50 years of automobiles, they have got way better and way safer but they haven't changed THAT much - certainly not as much as I think many would have predicted 40-50 years ago. When I was little I thought we would be flying around like the Jetsons by 2020 and here we are with most people still driving 5-10+ year old basic vehicles on roads full of potholes and horribly optimized traffic systems.

Supersonic commercial flight might become a thing again, but considering the average time for an all-new commercial plane to go from development to service is ~10 years (and that is with existing, proven tech for the most part), nothing happens fast at all, and safety is still the #1 consideration for most airlines. I think space (or outer atmosphere travel) for the uber rich will become a thing, as we are almost there already.

Delivery drones will never be viable in our lifetime, IMO as, the liability / theft / vandalism risks are way too high. Unless there is universal participation, it's very difficult to mix humans & autonomy. Not to mention the fact that after one incident of anything autonomous, you will have an army of Facebook soccer moms lobbying to have them banned, and they will probably succeed.

I think we will see the next stage of major computing advancement, whatever that may be (quantum or something). Things will keep getting smaller and smaller and more and more powerful. Enormous solid state drives, ridiculous storage capacities, etc. Smart homes much smarter. Nothing too crazy though, I don't think we will be walking around with Star Trek style glasses or anything like that. We are well past the point of diminishing return for lots of our electronics that I think progress there will be stagnant for a while relative to how quickly it changed over the last few decades.

Medically, I think we will be the last generation that doesn't get to live to 100++ on average with stem cell treatments / gene editing, etc. being the future norm. I think we need to wait for a bunch of the older generation in power to die off who are stifling many of these advancements for religious or political reasons.

We might see Fusion power plants replace standard Nuclear power plants. More efficient solar/wind/hydro generation, etc.

I'm more curious about to how we as a whole will deal with global problems like growing landfills, over population, diseases (cancer, etc.), climate change, etc. Again I think a lot of that will require new ways of thinking in government which will take a while, if it ever even happens.

Name:  back-to-future-ii-mr-fusion-home-energy-reactor-replica-xl.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  140.1 KB
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I don't see autonomous vehicles coming in properly unless it gets integrated in some sort of universal city traffic management system. Kinda like sim city. I just don't see it happening.

If there is a jump in energy storage/battery. Then there will be a massive shift, drones being one area. But oil will still be needed, if not more to mine and transport at the raw materials to build more shit. Especially with the population increasing globally.

But on the medical part. We will be the last generation with more natural medical issues as we age. Going forward people will be having age related medical issues because they are so fucking fat. Think type 2 diabetes, knee replacement etc.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The tech I HOPE advances is battery technology. Higher energy density, lower costs, higher safety. Could make a big difference to renewable / distributed energy generation, electric vehicles, and our handheld devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I personally don't think we will see a lot of extreme change in our lifetimes, just refinements / logical advancements for things we already have. Think about how long it would take to, say, completely change the way we view transportation and the related infrastructure. Not going to happen in the next 40-60 years IMO. It takes 2-3 full years for our city to add an extra lane to a short stretch of road... I think electric cars will get better and more common, but flying / self driving cars will remain a novelty at best. Even just looking at the last 40-50 years of automobiles, they have got way better and way safer but they haven't changed THAT much - certainly not as much as I think many would have predicted 40-50 years ago. When I was little I thought we would be flying around like the Jetsons by 2020 and here we are with most people still driving 5-10+ year old basic vehicles on roads full of potholes and horribly optimized traffic systems..
    What bothers me most is that the 2 major, long range transport systems for humans (air, sea) have gotten SLOWER over the last 4-5 decades.

Average speed of commercial airliners has been reduced steadily - and thats excluding the Concorde in that calc. Same with passenger ships too - the BC ferries has slowed down their fleet on the west coast.

We should have had speed, efficiency and eco-friendly modes figured out much more by now.

My Ride
    Bicycle

What bothers me most is that the 2 major, long range transport systems for humans (air, sea) have gotten SLOWER over the last 4-5 decades.

Average speed of commercial airliners has been reduced steadily - and thats excluding the Concorde in that calc. Same with passenger ships too - the BC ferries has slowed down their fleet on the west coast.

We should have had speed, efficiency and eco-friendly modes figured out much more by now.
    We barely got cars moving without blowing something up.

My Ride
    *The First*

I think there's going to be a lot of robot chicks that losers can screw. They're going to get better looking, cheaper and with more features. I think they sort of exist now but I bet they will really become more popular.
    I'm torn on whether this will be good for losers to also get some Lovin, or bad because it will feed creepy antisocial fetishes and generate creepier weirdos.
    At any rate I think it's cumming.

Same with passenger ships too - the BC ferries has slowed down their fleet on the west coast.
    Huh? What do you mean? BC Ferries has been 1hr+35min forever and still is.
    The "Fast Ferry" fiasco was where they had to slow those down to save the millionaires from their private beach erosion, but that nightmare only lasted a few years

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast