Quantcast
Ghost kitchens - do you care? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Ghost kitchens - do you care?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Something that I think we should discuss is whether or not a ghost kitchen is required to have a commercial premsis. This one is interesting, because if so, closing up shop and starting over isn't as easy as assumed.

Hell, even if not, reputation is everything - especially in out app-centred, review-obsessed digital society - and simply starting over isn't an easy option.

Finally, what's the problem with ghost kitchens putting pressure on sit-in restaurants? Moreover, if they're getting deep cut by delivery apps charging 25%, they should either look into other options or create their own. Adapt or die.

A sit-in restaurant is as much about the experience as it is the food. If a restaurant doesn't do a good job cultivating that, then they need to either up their game or learn how to kick ass in the era of delivery.
    I think they have adapted in the sense that some have different prices on delivery apps vs eat in.

I don't use delivery services so I don't know how they are displayed. Would people know Pepe and Churo Burger are the same restaurant? If not, that means he can build up as many restaurants in app as he wants and close ones that got bad review and stay in business. Kind of like Ebay and Amazon sellers.

But yeah, building up one with history of good review would still be hard. Much like driving for Uber trying to keep as close to 5 star as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Your logic is making way too many assumptions. Why wouldn't the kitchen disclose what they're making? Why are they at risk of some legal jeopardy that every other restaurant isn't also at risk for (based on your reasoning)?

Moreover, if the other foods the kitchen is making is also on their menu, how would the onus at all be on the kitchen vs. the consumer?

Nevermind the fact that the restaurant - like any other restaurant does - would likely have an allergy disclaimer on their menu, website, or both.

Finally, I still fail to see how this problem is unique to the ghost kitchen model or somehow not already a risk for consumers now. Multi-discipline restaurants already exist.
    You clearly don't and nor does anyone close to you have this problem. That's great and you can eat anywhere and not worry.
    If you've seen someone accidentally eat an allergen despite ordering food that doesn't contain it. Was assured by the staff after inquiring that you're fine and your night out turns into a life or death situation within seconds. You'll see that despite every attempt to rule out ingredients, it can happen and so most people I know with this issue choose to cook their own meals and don't eat out.
    So you can retort with your high brow relic all day, these places are modeled to cut costs, cut corners amd cross contamination isn't a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    You clearly don't and nor does anyone close to you have this problem. That's great and you can eat anywhere and not worry.
    If you've seen someone accidentally eat an allergen despite ordering food that doesn't contain it. Was assured by the staff after inquiring that you're fine and your night out turns into a life or death situation within seconds. You'll see that despite every attempt to rule out ingredients, it can happen and so most people I know with this issue choose to cook their own meals and don't eat out.
    So you can retort with your high brow relic all day, these places are modeled to cut costs, cut corners amd cross contamination isn't a priority.
    I'm quite allergic to shrimp, I once ordered a chicken pizza at Murrieta's, they put on shrimp instead.

They should've stuck to being a chicken restaurant.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

This model has potential for sure, I like the shared space idea for startups. Build revenue and a brand and move to a dine in model once a following is established. Working on the PR/marketing so people aren’t searching for your brick and mortar would probably be necessary for a smooth transition though. Own it as a cool hip co-op type thing. No difference vs the food truck route to building your food empire, except more Calgary climate friendly. Hell, those guys use shared kitchens anyways as any prep done off the truck needs to be in a commercial kitchen.

Just look at the trajectory taiko taco... started by doing pop ups out of fiasco’s truck, bought their own. Now are building out a brick and mortar in the barley belt

My Ride
    ute

People think "having an allergy" can turn into life and death situations....when it's not really the case. It's one of the weird things that people don't talk about. People with allergies often think that the severity of their reaction is far greater than it is. In other words they confuse discomfort with true distress....or more probably think that their discomfort will escalate into distress. People dying of an allergy is super (super) rare. Like 100 people in the entire US in a year rare. That's crazy low rate.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

What high brow relic? Are you referring to me rebuffing what is a rather thin argument on your end?

You're trying to poke holes in the concept based on a non-objection that already exists for every restaurant/delivery establishment you have access to.

If you're wary of the concept because you're afraid of change, or just because you are for whatever reason, just be straight with it instead of trying to peddle a total non-issue as if its unique or even solely applicable to ghost kitchens.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Last edited by msommers; 01-28-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    NC1

Give it time. The market will decide if it works or not.

Nice to see innovation tho, always a big supporter of that.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

@max_boost what percentages of your business would you estimate to be delivery, take-out and dine-in?
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I think they have adapted in the sense that some have different prices on delivery apps vs eat in.

I don't use delivery services so I don't know how they are displayed. Would people know Pepe and Churo Burger are the same restaurant? If not, that means he can build up as many restaurants in app as he wants and close ones that got bad review and stay in business. Kind of like Ebay and Amazon sellers.

But yeah, building up one with history of good review would still be hard. Much like driving for Uber trying to keep as close to 5 star as possible.
    Yes, because bad reviews are deserved of poor quality/service. Who cares if the "bad restraunts" close because the good ones are providing service/quality that warrants the good reviews. Thats how the review system works.

Just like a uber driver gets punted if he drops bellow a threshold. Sure he could get a fake IDand maybe open a new account under a new name. But who cares if the new driver profile is satisfying customers.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I don't buy the idea that online reviews somehow solves anything.

Why? Because of all the sketchy as hell used car dealerships that still operate even after having news articles made about them and posted all over the internet.

So yea. I disagree, and am of the opinion that this could lead to a drop in quality of lower end food joints.

Complaints online versus in person don't work the same. It allows an easy way to depersonalize the situation and go "meh, who gives a shit about order #5327" and you get a discount for next time and nothing changes.

End of the day, doesn't really matter though. If I eat somewhere I don't like, why would I give them my patronage again?

I think it's an interesting concept that would allow people to open restaurants at lower cost and could be a good starting point for young chefs/businesses.

I probably order ubereats/other delivery apps about 4 times a week (to the office for dinner) from restaurants that I've never actually been to in person. Really doesn't matter to me who's making the food as long as it's good.

At the end of the day a restaurant needs repeat business and a restaurateur only benefits from a successful business so I really don't think not having a store front will lead to worse food quality. I certainly hope restaurant owners think longer term than suckering people to order from there once and have to open a new restaurant under another name every few months.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3