Quantcast
Prescription Eyewear - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prescription Eyewear

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Default Prescription Eyewear

Just wondering where alot of you get your prescription eyewear.

There are a couple places I used to go to like Visions in Chinatown and local Lenscrafters or whatever. Typically, all I see are either high-end designer frames, Raybans or really cheap Wal-Mart frames but not really much else. I am wondering if there are any other places selling interesting and unusual frames that aren't normally available anywhere else?

Online is pretty sketchy as the fitment may not be right and it might be a bitch to return them. I was briefly looking at 9FIVE and Warby Parker, so I'm looking for frames along those lines, but locally. Or at least a site where they can send a few pairs for try on.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Bailey Nelson, in chinook or kensington, alot like warby parker but with a store setting

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

clearlycontacts.ca

Zero hassle with returns. It's at your cost, but you can return 20 pairs for the savings.

My Ride
    FB6

I had no problems with online places like zenni. However, you need to figure out what size fits you best, you have to understand the three measurements on the frame. The bridge width, the lens width and the overall width.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You have to understand the three measurements on the frame. The bridge width, the lens width and the overall width.
    This. I just make sure to closely match the ones I have on hand.
    No issues with Zenni nor Clearly.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Bailey Nelson, in chinook or kensington, alot like warby parker but with a store setting
    This is perfect. Thank you. Even the same site layout as Warby Parker but a local option.

I'll check them out sometime.

Costco and Clearly Contacts. Clearly even pays for the return shipping, at least for contacts.

Eyewear has got to be some of the most marked-up stuff out there. I used to go to Edworthy Vision and they have all kinds of shady tactics they use to try and convince you that you need $800 glasses with Zeiss lenses and you need to buy contacts through them for "warranty". It's all BS. I fell for it once but never again, I have been much happier using the discount places.

Also, any eye place that you need to fight to get your pupil distance or full prescription is not somewhere you want to continue giving your business - they are trying to hold you hostage to buy their 1000% markup items. Also places like Costco will give you your PD for free.

Go to somewhere you trust to pay for the eye exam, get all your frame measurements (there are at least 3), pupil distance, etc. and then buy online or from Costco.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Costco and Clearly Contacts. Clearly even pays for the return shipping, at least for contacts.

Eyewear has got to be some of the most marked-up stuff out there. I used to go to Edworthy Vision and they have all kinds of shady tactics they use to try and convince you that you need $800 glasses with Zeiss lenses and you need to buy contacts through them for "warranty". It's all BS. I fell for it once but never again, I have been much happier using the discount places.

Also, any eye place that you need to fight to get your pupil distance or full prescription is not somewhere you want to continue giving your business - they are trying to hold you hostage to buy their 1000% markup items. Also places like Costco will give you your PD for free.

Go to somewhere you trust to pay for the eye exam, get all your frame measurements (there are at least 3), pupil distance, etc. and then buy online or from Costco.
    Yeah, basically this. So I got my eye exam and measurements etc. elsewhere. Just looking for a set of frames I like and get the lenses from the place I got my exam. The place I got everything done doesn't have anything I like. Even with measurements, I still need to try them on because most sites have selections that don't have filters for low/high nose bridge.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Zenni and Clearly Contacts for me. Can't beat their pricing and returns
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    NC1

Clearly contacts all day. I haven't paid more than $100 for a pair of glasses in almost 10 years!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    *The First*

You can also middle out some of these stores with an online shop that buys from Luxottica. They actually make the frames for Prada and a few other fancy fashion labels.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Smartbuy glasses did a great job on prescription sunglasses for me in the fall.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Optiko in Sunridge is great. Stellar service and great selections.

I go for Tom Ford but if you want obscure, look for Cazal or Oliver Peoples

One thing I did recently is buy frames on eBay and then send it to Optiko to get lenses made. The frames were still covered by my insurance company.

Name:  Farrell.png
Views: 337
Size:  126.5 KB
    You want terrible looking but trendy glasses, why don't you just email her directly and ask...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Name:  Farrell.png
Views: 337
Size:  126.5 KB
    You want terrible looking but trendy glasses, why don't you just email her directly and ask...
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

39dollarglasses.com for the last decade

They often do sales for 15 or 20usd off, so I buy when those are on. Comes out to about 45cad shipped for a pair. My glasses get fucked up often due to working in a shop, so I get a new pair of the same style every year. They do Rx sunglasses too, I have a pair in each car.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Quote Originally Posted by JordanEG6 View Post
    Just wondering where alot of you get your prescription eyewear.

There are a couple places I used to go to like Visions in Chinatown and local Lenscrafters or whatever. Typically, all I see are either high-end designer frames, Raybans or really cheap Wal-Mart frames but not really much else. I am wondering if there are any other places selling interesting and unusual frames that aren't normally available anywhere else?

Online is pretty sketchy as the fitment may not be right and it might be a bitch to return them. I was briefly looking at 9FIVE and Warby Parker, so I'm looking for frames along those lines, but locally. Or at least a site where they can send a few pairs for try on.
    I go to this play downtown: PlusMa Eyewear & Optometrists - 912 5 Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta T2P 0N7, Canada

Been going there for 7 years. I stare at a computer, phone and monitor 10+ hours a day probably. My eyes are terrible at -6.5 and -6. Fortunately i have a health spending account, so I spend a ton on glasses.

PlusMa is the only store in Calgary that i know of that carries these two brands:

- IcBerlin!
    - Markus T

They carry all the other run of the mill high end designer brands as well. These two brands stick out to me because they are both german companies. They both use screw less designs and both are super light and strong frames. Markus T for example; their frames are made either from titanium or their patented synthetic plastic titanium mix. Ic Berlin is just very light stainless steel. You have to try it on to believe it; you can barely feel the glasses on your face. Bear in mind just like a BMW.... these things cost alot more than your typical designer frames. I believe they start at $400+ just for the frames.

They also carry some really small japanese brands too that use like rare woods and stuff like that; again that stuff i've seen easily $500 plus as well.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Prelude_dude View Post
    My eyes are terrible at -6.5 and -6.
    Whoa. That's laser surgery time isn't it?
    Doesn't that make you an ideal candidate for laser?

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Whoa. That's laser surgery time isn't it?
    Doesn't that make you an ideal candidate for laser?
    I was an ideal candidate for laser a long time ago lol.... with that in mind though, I've been wearing glasses since grade 4, I'm so used to them. I really don't mind wearing glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Prelude_dude View Post
    I was an ideal candidate for laser a long time ago lol.... with that in mind though, I've been wearing glasses since grade 4, I'm so used to them. I really don't mind wearing glasses.
    This is kind of my outlook as well. My eyes aren't as bad as yours though, mine are -1.25 or -1.50 or so in each eye, which probably also makes me an ideal candidate. But, I don't mind glasses and I don't mind contacts - considering nobody has even lived a full lifetime post-laser surgery yet and there is a tiny chance of permanent damage, I've always felt that continuing with what I am doing is easy enough. I do know people who got corrective eye surgery though and they love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast