Quantcast
Negotiating on New Vehicle Purchase - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Negotiating on New Vehicle Purchase

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They told me there is no way i paid what i did for my 13 F150. I won't be returning.
    Woodridge told me I was on crack for wanting a price on a car, 30 minutes later Maclin sold me that car at that price. I guess it happens to all dealers.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Woodridge told me I was on crack for wanting a price on a car, 30 minutes later Maclin sold me that car at that price. I guess it happens to all dealers.
    I get the same every time i've bought a vehicle.

It is ridiculous and car dealers do it to themselves... I cannot trust a single one (especially in the sales dep't). I have gone through a few car deals, and being a "nice guy" quite literally always feel like a grease-ball never okay with their price.
    No other sales group is like this. I really do with that there was more transparency/honesty or something with car sales.

The best approach, already mentioned IMHO is have the dealers bid against each other.... Jump on the best deal.

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    I just purchased a truck for my wife a few weeks ago. This was my process:

1. I researched the exact truck/options I wanted.

2. Emailed 3 dealerships in town and 1 out of town with the details and said I prefer to deal via email and I am only interested in the best all in price. So if you have any extra fees please include them all.

3. Had to reiterate last step after 3 of the 4 dealers said they would love for me to come in and take a look at the truck and they could get me the best deal.

4. After I got the offers from them I narrowed it down to two dealerships. Went into one of them and the manager came and introduced himself and said we could get a deal done today but they wanted me to write out my requested options on their offer sheet. So we did this and I gave me them my offer and we agreed on a price (which was actually lower then the emailed price by $500). He calls salesperson over and says we have a deal write it up. They ask my to sign and they omitted 4k worth of options. No clue what they were thinking here. Maybe trying to rip me off or just decided to ignore the offer sheet they wanted me to specify my options on. At this point I said I have an offer from another dealership and gave them the exact price but I'll buy it here today if you match it. They said it was impossible that the other dealership has to be losing money. I've wasted to much time at this point and just left.

5. Called the other dealership, went in and they honored the price they emailed me and I bought the truck. Should have just went there first.

6. Dealer from step 4 called me back and said to come back in. I advised them I already bought a truck. Dude lost his shit saying they would have matched the price. I didn't even want to waste my time explaining to him at this point how much of a time waste they were.

As for negotiating finance rates I've never seen this done before however some companies do have loyalty/conquest offers. So if you've had a previous vehicle with them you can get a discounted rate. Or with Toyota if you own a different vehicle they give you a conquest discounted rate.
    I second this. The email is really effective. Secondly you have to be willing to walk out if you don't get exactly what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    They told me there is no way i paid what i did for my 13 F150. I won't be returning.
    Every single vehicle I have ever purchased, I have been told this by multiple competing dealerships when they call me to follow up only to find out I've already purchased. I don't even think they even believe the words coming out of their own mouth at that point, it's just another tactic to make themselves feel better.

This also makes it easier to see how a dealership can give you their "lowest possible price" 10 times over, lowering it each time (which is why you always walk the moment they want to do the 'manager dance'). I've heard everything you can possibly imagine, from "I'm losing money on the sale" to "I'm taking money out of my own pocket at this point" LOL.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-04-2019 at 10:17 AM.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Yep did that exact song and dance with Lexus a couple years ago. Spent a whole afternoon going back and forth on a specific car they have on the lot and gave them a final, all in price. They said it's not possible and below cost so we walked.

When we got home we emailed Lexus of Edmonton and they immediately said they will do our price for that exact spec car. 30 mins later Calgary Lexus called and offered a price $1500 more than our final price and said that's the absolute best price they can do, so we said we already found one in Edmonton and they lost their shit, saying it's not possible.. below cost.. blah blah. We just responded with obviously it's possible, so thank you for your time but bye.

Next morning Calgary Lexus called back saying they can do our price now if we can go in that day to close we did end up buying it at Lexus of Calgary so we get the VIP service.

My Ride
    *The First*

I think the song/dance is the same with motorcycles. I found the precise bike I wanted and color then I desperately tried to find a dealer to match the price of the dealer I didn't like who had it on sale. They couldn't/wouldn't do it so I got stuck buying it from that dealer. Of course a month later Dealer-3 calls me and I told him I bought the exact bike I told him I'd buy and he's all pissy about it.
    Whatever Bro. You called my bluff and I wasn't bluffing. A friend referred me to you who literally used to work for you so she could verify I was literally buying that bike that week from whoever would sell it to me. Instead you're trying to lecture me now on the phone? I gonna mail you a heap of my shit!
    Plus the discount on popular bikes is less than zero so it wasn't like I was jamming bamboo shards under his fingernails level of deal.

Quote Originally Posted by joegrang View Post
    I second this. The email is really effective. Secondly you have to be willing to walk out if you don't get exactly what you want.
    I learned this the hard way when I bought my first truck, I even posted about it here on Beyond. Long story short, I found a truck at a local dealership, made an offer, put a deposit. I find out later that day they had better trimmed trucks for the same price at their lot. I tried to renegotiate but they were not willing to budge, I walked away, found another truck from an out of town dealer where I eventually bought from.The local dealer tried to keep my deposit, AMVIC got involved, then I got my deposit back. As an aside the local dealer did try to make things right, by trying to match the offer but by that time it was too late.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by Clever View Post
    I learned this the hard way when I bought my first truck, I even posted about it here on Beyond. Long story short, I found a truck at a local dealership, made an offer, put a deposit. I find out later that day they had better trimmed trucks for the same price at their lot. I tried to renegotiate but they were not willing to budge, I walked away, found another truck from an out of town dealer where I eventually bought from.The local dealer tried to keep my deposit, AMVIC got involved, then I got my deposit back. As an aside the local dealer did try to make things right, by trying to match the offer but by that time it was too late.
    That is the reason right there why I never ever make deposits at dealers, unless the deal is basically finalized - and I just need to run to the bank or whatever the case.
    This hold onto the deposit for whatever reason they pull out of the clouds that day is no scarcity in the world from my dealings.... And goes hand-in-hand with my significant grievances with dealing with car dealers for various reasons.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The deposit only benefits the dealers. Don't use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Yep did that exact song and dance with Lexus a couple years ago. Spent a whole afternoon going back and forth on a specific car they have on the lot and gave them a final, all in price. They said it's not possible and below cost so we walked.

When we got home we emailed Lexus of Edmonton and they immediately said they will do our price for that exact spec car. 30 mins later Calgary Lexus called and offered a price $1500 more than our final price and said that's the absolute best price they can do, so we said we already found one in Edmonton and they lost their shit, saying it's not possible.. below cost.. blah blah. We just responded with obviously it's possible, so thank you for your time but bye.

Next morning Calgary Lexus called back saying they can do our price now if we can go in that day to close we did end up buying it at Lexus of Calgary so we get the VIP service.
    I know Edmonton is a pain in the ass, relative to buying a car 20 minutes away, but personally I would have gone to Edmonton since they didn't try to screw with you multiple times. At that point it's the principle of not giving them your business, imho.

This thread has been really illuminating. Mom has been calling me asking about new cars and this is great info to have.
    Last edited by msommers; 02-05-2019 at 08:48 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I know Edmonton is a pain in the ass, relative to buying a car 20 minutes away, but personally I would have gone to Edmonton since they didn't try to screw with you multiple times. At that point it's the principle of not giving them your business, imho.

This thread has been really illuminating. Mom has been calling me asking about new cars and this is great info to have.
    I am the same way re: principle. People who return to the same dealership AFTER they have lied to you or tried to screw you, are crazy IMHO and just encourages that behavior. Same with dealerships who won't tell you their cost for a bottom-up negotiation when they know you can find out for $30 - right after you buy that report they want to be your best friend again. You never want to give a penny of commission to someone who thinks so little of their customers IMO.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post

The reason why we went w/ Calgary was because they said we can only access their "VIP Service" if the vehicle was bought from them, which included the valet service, loaner vehicle, rockship repair, and the pedicure stuff. They said it could be possible to transfer if our car's from Edmonton but that's at the sole discretion of the service manager... maybe this wasn't true at all and we got lied to but... It just seems easier than to have to figure w/ the service manager after.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I think the song/dance is the same with motorcycles. I found the precise bike I wanted and color then I desperately
    This is what it comes down to with any buying that involves salesmen.

Beyond is proof that it works time and again. People want zero hassle to themselves, even if it ends up costing them thousands, and they'll do that.

Hell, RX_Evolv even rewarded a dealer for doing it purely in the name of saving hassle.

You reap what you sow folks, you are patrons of businesses that treat you like shit, they will continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I've heard everything you can possibly imagine, from "I'm losing money on the sale" to "I'm taking money out of my own pocket at this point" LOL.
    Oh I forgot to mention that in my post. The dealer I walked out of did say there is no way the other dealer can sell me the vehicle at that price because they would be losing money. Haha but they did sell it to me at that price. The dealer who claimed it was impossible later said they could match it. Magic!

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

This thread is really good. I was actually looking at a newer vehicles in the last few weeks,i.e watching reviews on youtube and how to go about negotiating at a dealership.

Then I did my budget, short, medium and long term goals for the year on the weekend. I realized I cant afford to buy jack shit and in the worst case scenario im buying a second hand Corolla. fml.
    I have no idea how you guys buy new shit.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This thread is really good. I was actually looking at a newer vehicles in the last few weeks,i.e watching reviews on youtube and how to go about negotiating at a dealership.

Then I did my budget, short, medium and long term goals for the year on the weekend. I realized I cant afford to buy jack shit and in the worst case scenario im buying a second hand Corolla. fml.
    Thats a different discussion. Many people SHOULD NOT be buying new but you did your due diligence and found the math made no sense.

MANY people would be far better off financially buying a used car and then setting aside some money for inevitable repairs. Save on taxes, depreciation etc.

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Oh I forgot to mention that in my post. The dealer I walked out of did say there is no way the other dealer can sell me the vehicle at that price because they would be losing money. Haha but they did sell it to me at that price. The dealer who claimed it was impossible later said they could match it. Magic!
    It's classic. One of their most commonly used phrases, I would imagine.

Also, dealers can definitely sell you vehicles at or below 'cost' and still make a nice profit because they get holdbacks, manufacturer incentives, warranty/service work, etc. I'm sure they're more likely to do so when they are trying to hit their monthly numbers, but it happens. Buying in-stock vehicles helps them too. Most of the time though it's just pure BS and they are feeding you every lie in the book to guilt you into paying a higher price. They make it sound like you are taking food off their table by not grossly overpaying for a vehicle.

Another good one is when they inspect your trade-in, find no issues, and then offer you thousands less than it's worth because they have to get it "ready for sale". In reality all they do is get their lot boy to destroy the clear coat, tie a balloon to it, and throw a sticker in the window ending in "999".
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-05-2019 at 11:01 AM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Its unfortunate but believe nothing any car salesman says.

"We can't sell for that price we'd lose money" that turns into a phone call a couple days later is the biggest FUCK YOU these sales guys can pull. And I've received that courtesy every single time I've bought a car.

Gearing up for a new car purchase this year and I'm going to try going strict on the email only correspondence.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    \
    Have you seen the stats on how overextended Canadians are on average? Just take on an unreasonable amount of debt, and you too can do it. This probably represents over half of the people buying new cars.

Or do what other half does... just make more money.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Its unfortunate but believe nothing any car salesman says.
    "We can't sell for that price we'd lose money" that turns into a phone call a couple days later is the biggest FUCK YOU these sales guys can pull. And I've received that courtesy every single time I've bought a car.

But...They pulled every string, they begged their manager, they offered to take less commission to get it done, they made a one time exception, they have never done this before, they are losing so much money on the sale, once in a lifetime, corporate just called with a special promotion, THE PRICE WILL NEVER GET BETTER (until you walk away and wait a day) When they call the next day they are literally admitting to trying to screw you over and then want your business again. It's unbelievable how dumb they think people are.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Gearing up for a new car purchase this year and I'm going to try going strict on the email only correspondence.
    Email is also frustrating, but it helps you weed out the dealers that you probably don't want to deal with anyway. When I email say, 10 dealers, I will get 1-2 that will even deal via email, 2-3 that want me to "come down so we can make a deal", and the rest don't even bother to reply, even with sales managers CC'd along with a salesperson. Very few dealers like to deal over email in my experience, but the few that will are usually the better dealers anyway.

For example when I bought my GF's Honda, the only dealers that would entertain email negotiations were Okotoks and Airdrie. Calgary dealers, even when I emailed specific salespeople through Beyond referrals, either fully ignored me, or ignored all my questions and just replied with something shady trying to get me to come down and talk to them. Some even had the balls to tell me my offer was below their cost when I had a separate line in my price calculation of pure profit for them.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-05-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast