Quantcast
Negotiating on New Vehicle Purchase - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Negotiating on New Vehicle Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I need a 2019 base VW golf black or white or grey in automatic, no options, which one of you wanna negotiate for me? I want to lease 0 down.
    "Invoice" is $24,789 on the 2019 (including a block heater).
    I'd say invoice plus $500 is probably a reasonable offer, so $25,289 as a starting point.

Assuming my math is correct below... Also I think VW has loyalty program to reduce by .5%
    36 Month 20k/yr @ 1.99% is 57% Residual = $357 + GST
    48 Mo 20k/yr @ 2.99% is 50% Residual = $325 + GST

Bottom line on the VW Golf, the dealerships barely make any money on them. If you can get out of paying for their "Alberta/Winter/Etc Package" which is basically floor mats for $1500, you're in good shape.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I have had success with phone and email. When the dealer stops responding, i know i finally hit their bottom line. If they won't talk anything until i come down there, I tell them I am going to call / email another dealer. I don't want to waste my time or theirs.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

And I just remembered, I bought @baygirl 's car over the phone. I just went down to sign the paperwork and pick it up.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    I have had success with phone and email. When the dealer stops responding, i know i finally hit their bottom line. If they won't talk anything until i come down there, I tell them I am going to call / email another dealer. I don't want to waste my time or theirs.
    This 100%. I have purchased my last 2 vehicles this way and couldn't be happier.

If I get the response "COME ON DOWN!!!", I just say I live out of town, usually works in getting them to negotiate by email.

The one problem I've had is you have to sit in their financing office listening to all the sales pitches for disability insurance, undercoating, overcoating, life insurance, protection packages, extended warranties, glass protection, etc etc etc. I think what I'm going to do next time is ask for them to deliver the car to me with the paperwork ready to go. Will save the 3 hour headache of sitting in that office.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

I can’t afford jack shit either. But what I can afford is easy monthly payments
    Leased for $141.83 bi-weekly @ 0% a 2018 Nissan Sentra Sv nice car. Great on gas reliable. Don’t have to worry about a thing
    Ps. If you want it. It’s up for grabs as a lease take over as my CU next Tuesday ex and I are going to court and could use some more cash every month.
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by bourge73 View Post
    I can’t afford jack shit either. But what I can afford is easy monthly payments
    Leased for $141.83 bi-weekly @ 0% a 2018 Nissan Sentra Sv nice car. Great on gas reliable. Don’t have to worry about a thing
    Ps. If you want it. It’s up for grabs as a lease take over as my CU next Tuesday ex and I are going to court and could use some more cash every month.
    Common logic would suggest that, if you are on the lower income side of the scale - essentially, renting a car for ~3600$ every year would dictate that after 5 years, you would be out almost 19,000$ without anything to show for - and is not condusive to fiscal prudence.

Buying a GOOD used Civic or a Yaris for say, $5,000 and then investing into tires, brakes and other minor repairs - would net a FAR better outcome after 5 years - and this is what the low end of the scale does seem to understand unfortunately.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I hate how entitled some sales guys are at the dealerships.
    Been looking for an addition to my personal fleet, and go the "stop wasting my time" attitude when not satisfied with their offers that were of course a "one time offer, and I don't really need this deal, and stretched this deal already for you" speech.

I know theres other offers out there, and sitting in your office, wasting my time more importantly, we have gotten nowhere.

I will definitely be doing deals over the phone/email for now on.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Common logic would suggest that, if you are on the lower income side of the scale - essentially, renting a car for ~3600$ every year would dictate that after 5 years, you would be out almost 19,000$ without anything to show for - and is not condusive to fiscal prudence.

Buying a GOOD used Civic or a Yaris for say, $5,000 and then investing into tires, brakes and other minor repairs - would net a FAR better outcome after 5 years - and this is what the low end of the scale does seem to understand unfortunately.

Fair point. It’s a 3 year lease. So you spend what $5000 to buy a used Civic. Ok perfect day it lasts 2 years. Then you want a change. What’s it worth ? $3 grand ? Plus all the work you did which it will need and then what ? You take a chance of a minor minor chance the motor or tranny goes. Plus you are driving a say what a 6 7 year old car ? Congrats

So what did it cost you a month ? $100 ? Plus interest as most don’t just have $5 grand cash. I understand your views. But they only make so much sense.
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Fair point. It’s a 3 year lease. So you spend what $5000 to buy a used Civic. Ok perfect day it lasts 2 years. Then you want a change. What’s it worth ? $3 grand ? Plus all the work you did which it will need and then what ? You take a chance of a minor minor chance the motor or tranny goes. Plus you are driving a say what a 6 7 year old car ? Congrats

So what did it cost you a month ? $100 ? Plus interest as most don’t just have $5 grand cash. I understand your views. But they only make so much sense.
    I drive a 15 y/o civic as a DD. It is well maintained.

Interest charges on a 5000$ loan are going to be peanuts vs. pissing away 19k.

The point is that for people in that income class its fiscally prudent to buy a decent used vehicle and then properly maintain and keep it as long as possible until repair costs go way above market retail value.

A Yaris or Honda will go 300-400,000 kms before the engine or trannys blow.

We just went through this situation with my wifes DD 10y/o (otherwise well maintained vehicle) after it had 385,000 kms on it and the tranny output shaft bearing went.
    Last edited by revelations; 02-11-2019 at 02:42 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

[QUO

Please explain to me where I am pissing away 19k? It’s $2900 a year. 3 year lease and while you and your wife are driving old beaters wondering when the next thing will go...I am driving a new car with full warranty, features. And oil changes all paid ...
    To each their own but it’s a cost of living. I need a car. Paying under $300 a month for something that is new and reliable is nothing. I could do what you are doing sure. Your taking a chance and driving an old POS in the process congrats ( I know your Civic is not a POS ) it’s just a reference to what your saying to do.

My Ride
    ute

I drive a 15 y/o civic as a DD. It is well maintained.

The point is that for people in that income class its fiscally prudent to buy a decent used vehicle and then properly maintain and keep it as long as possible until repair costs go way above market retail value.

A Yaris or Honda will go 300-400,000 kms before the engine or trannys blow.

We just went through this situation with my wifes DD 10y/o (otherwise well maintained vehicle) after it had 385,000 kms on it and the tranny output shaft bearing went.
    The advancements in safety technology diminish the traditional arguments for buying or keeping used cars in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    The advancements in safety technology diminish the traditional arguments for buying or keeping used cars in this way.
    This is huge.

I find leasing a basic car (Corolla, Jetta, Elantra) at $275-300 a month is not a bad way to go. I've had a tough time keeping used cars to under $3,000 a year in depreciation and repairs. Yeah, it's not the cheapest way, but it does provide you with an economical way to be in a reliable and safe vehicle where your costs are mostly guaranteed.

This is always my argument as well - that is my #1 issue with buying/keeping really old cars. If there is ever a serious car accident it could easily mean the difference between surviving or not or avoiding major injury. Same with the driver assistance stuff, it is just so good now - if you lose concentration for even 0.5 seconds, it could make all the difference. Nothing is guaranteed but I'd rather have all that on my side. Repairs and upkeep start eating away at the savings driving a cheap car as well, and if you choose not to do said upkeep because the car isn't worth as much, you just make it even more unsafe.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I'd have to dig up the exact numbers but my old Honda Element which I purchased used for $16k and then sold for only a couple grand 5 years later cost me nearly as much on a monthly basis in depreciation and maintenance as my new TLX has cost me for the past 3 years. And one is hell of a lot nicer then the other.

Ideally you can swing the number a little more favorable with a more economical Civic or Corolla but the monthly depreciation and maintenance are real costs that need to be compared to new car payments (either lease or financed).

Basically you can justify spending more on vehicle payments multiple ways. Depreciation, safety features, AWD, turbos, etc etc

My Ride
    ute

Safety is something you can't easily quantify, so it tends to get ignored. But my guess is the "my corolla ran for 200,000km people" are also the "all season tires are good enough" people.

My family is worth increased depreciation.

Safety is something you can't easily quantify, so it tends to get ignored. But my guess is the "my corolla ran for 200,000km people" are also the "all season tires are good enough" people.

I had a coworker I was close friends with whose entire family was T-boned at highway speed in a newer MB ML550 - everyone got away without major injury. The rescue personnel told him that based on their experience, his family very likely would not have even survived if not for being in such a safe vehicle. I always remember that story.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

And the difference between comprehensive (required on a financed vehicle) vs basic liability on a $5k beater is easily 50-100/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This is always my argument as well - that is my #1 issue with buying/keeping really old cars.
    This is, quite literally, the dumbest, most unintelligent argument I have EVER heard in my life to justify buying new. Fucking. LAWL.

Please do show ANY relevant info whatsoever that shows in the past decade deaths and injury dropping drastically due to driving a newer vehicle.

This may surprise someone of your stature, but sometimes the plebs don't get that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I had a coworker I was close friends with whose entire family was T-boned at highway speed in a newer MB ML550 - everyone got away without major injury. The rescue personnel told him that based on their experience, his family very likely would not have even survived if not for being in such a safe vehicle. I always remember that story.
    Yes, because some rando firefighter is where I get my vehicle safety suggestions from. Solid evidence is solid.

You all worry about (and pay out the nose) over some of the strangest shit:

1. In 2016, the number of motor vehicle fatalities in Canada was 1,898, up 2% from 2015 (1,860).

2. In 2016, there were 10,322 serious injuries due to motor vehicle collisions in Canada, down
    4% from 2015 (10,748).
    And that doesn't subtract out drunk driving, or the operator of the vehicle being at fault. I bet that halves those rates.
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 02-11-2019 at 11:58 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This thread is awesomely off topic.
    Nice work everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

[QUO

Please explain to me where I am pissing away 19k? It’s $2900 a year. 3 year lease and while you and your wife are driving old beaters wondering when the next thing will go...I am driving a new car with full warranty, features. And oil changes all paid ...
    To each their own but it’s a cost of living. I need a car. Paying under $300 a month for something that is new and reliable is nothing. I could do what you are doing sure. Your taking a chance and driving an old POS in the process congrats ( I know your Civic is not a POS ) it’s just a reference to what your saying to do.
    If your payment is $141 bi-weekly, it means your monthly payment is ~$306/month. Lots of people get tripped up by this math at dealerships when they sign up for lease/finance.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post

This is, quite literally, the dumbest, most unintelligent argument I have EVER heard in my life to justify buying new. Fucking. LAWL.

Please do show ANY relevant info whatsoever that shows in the past decade deaths and injury dropping drastically due to driving a newer vehicle.
    https://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusr...article/50/1/1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3256831/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5165015/

I think I also recall you spending an entire thread arguing against the benefits of ABS.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast