Quantcast
Proposed new/expanded Alberta parks - Bighorn Country - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Proposed new/expanded Alberta parks - Bighorn Country

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree, but the one douche bag who doesn't on a long weekend is labelled for the whole community and used as a poster child for why the whole thing should be shut down...
    I saw somebody speeding on deerfoot and weaving in and out of traffic. The speed limit should be reduced to 50 or I'm going to complain on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by stealth View Post
    If anything the OHV users are some of the most respectful out there. Anything we pack in, we pack out. No garbage is left around. The trails aren't torn up.
    I've generally seen it as a dutiful minority does their best to mitigate the mess left by the rest. Similar to a lot of campsites that have large groups, but the mess footprint left by OHV groups is generally larger.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think there's roughly the same proportion of shit heads in every group. There's certainly shit head hikers and backpackers too. The thing with ohv users is one shit head can do a lot more damage than one shit head backpacker. They can carry more garbage in, and destroy trails and habitat faster.

Probably 80% or more of every use age group are respectful and responsible. However rules and enforcement are designed to control and deter the shit heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

its amusing to see the ohv user villified to push the agenda of why the park must move ahead.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

In my simple minded assessment, Kananaskis country has been a huge success, and has increased opportunities for a variety of outdoor recreation, including OHV users. If that's the model, then I support this proposal wholeheartedly.

If there's a major difference in design or philosophy between Kananaskis and Bighorn Country, then I'd love to hear about it.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

The only OHV use in the Kananaskis is in a few Public Land Use Zones (PLUZ) on the eastern border. (McLean Creek near Bragg Creek being the most popular. The only OHV use in all the Bighorn is in a few PLUZs of the 6 that already exist. None of which are enforced in any meaningful way, save a couple of long weekends in the summer. Water protection laws are federal and supersede any provincial park regulations anyway, which are still rarely enforced.

One of the major sticking points is the Minister stating all existing designated trails will remain open. There are none currently and it is a given the existing decades old trails will not be mapped out and designated. The same promise was made in the Castle area and the trails were immediately shut down.

I own a side-by-side and ride year round throughout Alberta / B.C. and agree with protecting our land and resources for future use, but our current government is an arrogant lying sack of shit that can’t be trusted beyond their own personal interests. It’s all about how they are going about this business and not necessarily the end result.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    but our current government is an arrogant lying sack of shit that can’t be trusted beyond their own personal interests.
    I can agree with this. I would extend it to every government though, provincial, federal, past, present and future.

new article today

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ltations-again

Shannon Phillip's stated shes consulted with first nations but it's apparently not true. She seems to struggle with speaking the truth.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Ya, Licia Corbella has a real record of non-partisan reporting... Love when the Herald posts opinion pieces as fact.

Maybe you missed the part where they bands in question are quoted for the article. Unlike shannon Phillip's version of events there is no spin on this article.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

You mean one councillor of one band, who apparently speaks for 5 bands? No spin... right.

I guess Jason Nixon is in full favor of consultation when it comes to pipelines and holding up development of pipelines..right? "you must consult with communities when you make these kinds of changes."

You missed the part where the consultations Phillip's was referring to was a 10 min phone call to the band....

You would have thought the consultations would have started a long time ago when it deals with treaty rights... no no theres only been a 10 min phone call.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    You missed the part where the consultations Phillip's was referring to was a 10 min phone call to the band....

You would have thought the consultations would have started a long time ago when it deals with treaty rights... no no theres only been a 10 min phone call.
    You may be surprised, but I read the article with a lot more skepticism due to the author. Corbella quotes one guy for the entire article, and doesnt interview a single other councillor to find out if perhaps they were one of the ones that met with the minister? Furthermore, it's an Opinion piece, does it even get fact-checked? Hell, he even goes back on his own thing that they never met face to face with a minister, yet they sat down with Indigenous Relations Minister Richard Feehan...

After her opinion piece on the poor Scurfield’s it’s going to take more than a Corbella article to paint an accurate picture on what’s going or went on.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

the proposal by the ndp is cancelled but many issues that residents were concerned about will be getting addressed.

This was the best case scenario for this park.

My Ride
    Trucks

And the new map for Livingstone, Porcupine Hills, Indian Graves was just released. 90% of the backcountry trails are now closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3