Quantcast
A "Would You Buy This Car?" Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A "Would You Buy This Car?" Thread

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

Default A "Would You Buy This Car?" Thread

Hey Beyond, trying to get opinions from the hive-mind. My uncle is in the process of purchasing a new BMW X5 and has been offered $4500 trade-in value on his 2007 Lexus RX400h with 240,000 km.

He has offered me the vehicle for the same price, but I am concerned about the battery life, the age, and mileage on the vehicle. He has owned it since new and I know he keeps good care of his vehicles (all schedule maintenance has been performed, not driven hard) So my question for you is would you take the $4500 gamble on a 12 year old hybrid with 240,000 km on it.

Oh, and I have to decide by tomorrow, so no time to take it in for a proper inspection at the Lexus dealership.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Name:  400Battery.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  38.3 KB

Do it! You won't find better car for that price .. smooth, quiet, good sound system, and RELIABLE!

Those Hybrid last "forever", as long as it is local car, with regular service, Hybrid battery from Lexus/Toyota last for a long time in Calgary, as it is so dry and cold here, if this is from Texas etc, with high heat, 240K km may be a bit high ..

Timing belt was probably done at the 160K-170K mark? so the next timing belt will be in 100,000km, and you will be fine..

I am driving exact same car, with even higher km, (~ 290K km) and the hybrid system still strong, you can easy to check the battery level (never full) to get an idea of the hybrid battery condition.

If the dealer pays him $4,500 as trade value, you probably should pay him $5K or so with tax credit to be fair...

Attached photofrom my 400H ..you can see the Hybrid battery level is at ~90% (which is max)

I have 3 Hybrid home .. love them!
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:46 AM.

My Ride
    LNF

A quick search on Kijiji shows that it is worth probably 7-10k depending on its condition. I would definitely buy it. You know the history and maintenance history.

And then either keep it or sell it for profit.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Yes .. they are still going for ~$10K + /- (depends on options)

It is a Lexus/ Toyota, resell is easy! At that price, I won't say it is "Gamble" .. if you are buying a 12 yr old BMW at low price (or MB/Audi/VW etc..) .. that is.. Gamble!
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

My Ride
    V8s

I'd take that gamble for sure. For that price, just drive it into the ground.

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

The car is an Edmonton car, so same conditions as Calgary for the most part.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Or tell your uncle he's getting screwed on the trade in and sell it privately for thousands more.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Or tell your uncle he's getting screwed on the trade in and sell it privately for thousands more.
    When I first saw this thread, I was thinking "I'll take it for $4500, I'll come tonight!" and then I reread what he actually said and was sad

My Ride
    This and that.

It's a no brainer, I'd take it as long as you can be sure that it was kept well.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

If OP's uncle is beyond member ... He is probably going to ask for more money from trade, or sell it for lots more now ... LOL

The 400H also come with nicer front end, bigger/nicer wheel, nicer interior with brushed aluminum trim compare to the regular RX330... and ~$10K more when new.

Does it have the Mark Levinson Hi End sound system? If yes, that sound system already worth $4,500!
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    When I first saw this thread, I was thinking "I'll take it for $4500, I'll come tonight!" and then I reread what he actually said and was sad
    LOL! Me too.

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Unfortunately for the people the PM'd me and the few that wanted to buy it in this thread, I decided to go ahead and buy it. That being said, if I drive it for a month and don't like it, I'll put it up for sale on Beyond (for more than I paid haha)

For C4S, my uncle isn't a Beyond member (thankfully) and yes, the car does have the Mark Levinson sound system.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Quote Originally Posted by got_mike33 View Post
    it. That being said, if I drive it for a month and don't like it, I'll put it up for sale on Beyond (for more than I paid haha)

For C4S, my uncle isn't a Beyond member (thankfully) and yes, the car does have the Mark Levinson sound system.
    That is even a big bonus! That Mark Levinson system is sweet .. not crazy Bass for heavy metal music, but if you like Jazz .. Blues ... Awesome!!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by C4S; 02-01-2019 at 06:47 PM.
    The Original !

1234567, 多勞多得

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by got_mike33 View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! Unfortunately for the people the PM'd me and the few that wanted to buy it in this thread, I decided to go ahead and buy it. That being said, if I drive it for a month and don't like it, I'll put it up for sale on Beyond (for more than I paid haha)

1 owner Toyota? You can flip it and make $5K easy.

You uncle is doing you a favor while saving himself from Kijidiots. Take it.

Now make sure he's is ok for you to flip it tho. I know it's really your car and all.

My Ride
    changes every year

I'd be so pissed if you flipped it for more when I ga e you a deal. Karmas a bitch.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    I'd be so pissed if you flipped it for more when I ga e you a deal. Karmas a bitch.
    This isn't the "weird things that give you irrational anger" thread.

Because what an irrational thing to say. If both parties are happy with the sale price, why does it matter? Nothing to do with karma.

My Ride
    changes every year

I think it has alot to do with karma. The fact that you know you're blatantly taking advantage of a price just becuaee you know you will profit from it is one thing....

To do it to your family member is another. I believe in karma and that is a good way to get bad karma...that's my opinion, I would never do it, and I wouldnt want someone to do it to me.

My Ride
    V8s

It's not like his uncle posted it for sale for $10k and OP grinded/swindled/lowballed him down to $4500.

Uncle is probably just being a nice guy, he knows full well he's giving his nephew a deal on the car. Likely just doesn't want to spend the time selling it, and makes him feel good that he's doing a favour for a family member. I know more than one person who's gone through this exact situation (selling car to family for under-market trade in value), and both parties are happy about it

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    It's not like his uncle posted it for sale for $10k and OP grinded/swindled/lowballed him down to $4500.

Uncle is probably just being a nice guy, he knows full well he's giving his nephew a deal on the car. Likely just doesn't want to spend the time selling it, and makes him feel good that he's doing a favour for a family member. I know more than one person who's gone through this exact situation (selling car to family for under-market trade in value), and both parties are happy about it
    I'm sure his uncle is great with giving him a deal, I would be too. I just wouldn't be happy if I was the uncle and the car was knowingly flipped for twice the price, I would feel taken advantage of...again, my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast