Quantcast
Speeding Up NordVPN - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Speeding Up NordVPN

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Default Speeding Up NordVPN

Can anyone help me with speeding up my connection when I connect to a VPN through NordVPN?

I did a speedtest on my Kodi box, and the before/after is insane.

Before: 324 Mbps and 16.3 Mbps.

While connected to NordVPN 30.8/7.18.

While I understand there's suppose to be some loss, this seems like an awful lot.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Just checked mine on my phone. Wifi without VPN 125 down 16 up. Through Nord VPN 3.95 down, 4.52 up Yikes. Not good at all.

IMO NordVPN has oversold their capacity in the last year. Their $99 deal for 2/3 years has been very popular. I sub to 3 different VPNs right now, and have had tried a half dozen or so in the last year. The OP speeds are pretty typical most of the time with Nord now unfortunately - a few years ago Nord was much, much faster for me, but no longer.

Astrill has been the fastest consistently for me, but is also by FAR the most expensive, 2 to 2.5x the cost of Nord, however on a 300mbit connection I'll pull 325 from Shaw, and 290ish from Astrill on a Canadian VPN server. The added bonus with Astrill is no matter which country Netflix has a catalogue in, I can find a server # in either the Astrill Stealth, regular, or DNS option which will let me stream Netflix from that country. Nord/IPVanish/Express/PIA/etc/etc, not so much. That makes it worth the cost for me, and I'd only be subbing to it once the subscriptions run out on the other 2 I've got, until changing or adding another one is worth it for me.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 02-03-2019 at 11:29 AM.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

What are you using in Kodi for a VPN to be required?

I only ask because if its just Tv and Movies you should use a premium server like premiumize or real-debrid and make your streaming life 100x better. Now if its for IPTV then i understand why your using a VPN.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are you using in Kodi for a VPN to be required?

I only ask because if its just Tv and Movies you should use a premium server like premiumize or real-debrid and make your streaming life 100x better. Now if its for IPTV then i understand why your using a VPN.
    I also subscribe to real-debrid. As I understand it, and maybe I'm wrong, but any time I'm streaming, I should using using a VPN.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    I also subscribe to real-debrid. As I understand it, and maybe I'm wrong, but any time I'm streaming, I should using using a VPN.
    Real-Debrid does not require a VPN. And Real-Debrid absolutely hates VPN's so I am sure you have a bunch of links that just get "skipped" when clicking on them.

Go into your real debrid account (My Account) and under account settings if your download port says "secured" it is using https(or SSL or secured port whatever floats your boat) so Shaw will only be able to see your connecting to real-debrid but not what media is being consumed from that site. Shaw will not put the time or effort into monitoring this it would be a colossal waste of resources. On a related note this feature is auto enabled so unless you have changed it should be already setup.

Drop the VPN.

Disclaimer: This does not apply to sources that are not debrid obviously. However if you are subscribed to real debrid and using not shitty add-on you should never have the need to click a non debrid link. If you regularly do click non-premium sources then keep your VPN.
    Last edited by Kavy; 02-08-2019 at 08:24 PM.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    Last time I checked, streaming is legal in Canada as you're not actually distributing the file to others. That being said, being behind a VPN is still good practice.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Are you sure the bottleneck isn't going to be the cpu of your device? If you're doing it through your router the bottleneck will definitely be the router

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    Are you sure the bottleneck isn't going to be the cpu of your device? If you're doing it through your router the bottleneck will definitely be the router
    Anything I know about this is just from what I've read online, so I don't know a whole lot. But I use the NordVPN app on my Minix box.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

The bottleneck will definitely be your minix box. The processors on those wont have enough juice to do 300mbps on a VPN. Even an entry level cisco meraki firewall won't do 300mbps (look up the mx64).
    If you want better performance on your VPN look at getting the asus 86U and do the VPN through the router. That's currently the best performing consumer grade router and even that tops out at 200mbps with the most basic encryption.
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/op...t-ac86u.41217/

Unless you're streaming 4k over iffy sources I wouldn't worry about your current VPN speeds. Getting 300Mbps is going to cost you some good money

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    The bottleneck will definitely be your minix box. The processors on those wont have enough juice to do 300mbps on a VPN. Even an entry level cisco meraki firewall won't do 300mbps (look up the mx64).
    If you want better performance on your VPN look at getting the asus 86U and do the VPN through the router. That's currently the best performing consumer grade router and even that tops out at 200mbps with the most basic encryption.
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/op...t-ac86u.41217/

Unless you're streaming 4k over iffy sources I wouldn't worry about your current VPN speeds. Getting 300Mbps is going to cost you some good money
    I just want reasonable quality (I'm fine with 720p). I just don't want to worry about buffering and cache problems when I watch.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I'm looking at that NordVPN 3-year deal just so I can hopefully watch NHL hockey playoffs while I'm traveling.

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to this stuff - I understand if I use the VPN to make my location appear as though it's in Canada I'll be able to stream through SportsNet / CBC? They show the games online without charge, right?

I don't want to spend too much since I'll only use the VPN occassionally but if there are any other cheap / recommended VPNs I'd appreciate recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    I'm looking at that NordVPN 3-year deal just so I can hopefully watch NHL hockey playoffs while I'm traveling.

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to this stuff - I understand if I use the VPN to make my location appear as though it's in Canada I'll be able to stream through SportsNet / CBC? They show the games online without charge, right?

I don't want to spend too much since I'll only use the VPN occassionally but if there are any other cheap / recommended VPNs I'd appreciate recommendations.
    Yes anything that has territory restrictions will respond based on where your VPN is spoofing from.

Speaking of this VPN speed issue, just try another country. I notice if I am connected through Mexico, my speed is shit. But if I switch to Greenland or something it is totally fine.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Yes anything that has territory restrictions will respond based on where your VPN is spoofing from.
    Perfect. Do Sportsnet / CBC or other networks stream the games online or do you also need to pay for a subscription? I can't see anything online because of my location but don't really want to pay for a VPN unless I know I'll be able to stream the games.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Perfect. Do Sportsnet / CBC or other networks stream the games online or do you also need to pay for a subscription? I can't see anything online because of my location but don't really want to pay for a VPN unless I know I'll be able to stream the games.
    With most of those services, they do offer a monthly or a 7 day trail.
    If you find you have proxy issues you might require a service that will give you a static IP