Quantcast
Sydney/Melbourne - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Sydney/Melbourne

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Default Sydney/Melbourne

Thinking about going down under in Apr for two weeks. I'll fly to Sydney, stay there for a few days. Then drive to Melbourne along the coast. Stay there for a few days. Then drive back to Sydney via the inland route. Any tips, dos/don'ts?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

The trip from Sydney to Melbourne along the coast is pretty fucking boring. The only real highlight IMO is Jervis Bay to see Hyems beach and check out the worlds whitest sand. Sydney - Brisbane is a lot more enjoyable and there is a lot more to see. Lookout for Roos and Wombats on the highway. We smoked a wombat at dawn and wrote off our rental vehicle between Sydney and Melbourne at Cann River.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The trip from Sydney to Melbourne along the coast is pretty fucking boring. The only real highlight IMO is Jervis Bay to see Hyems beach and check out the worlds whitest sand. Sydney - Brisbane is a lot more enjoyable and there is a lot more to see. Lookout for Roos and Wombats on the highway. We smoked a wombat at dawn and wrote off our rental vehicle between Sydney and Melbourne at Cann River.
    Hope you opted to purchase insurance haha.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thinking about going down under in Apr for two weeks. I'll fly to Sydney, stay there for a few days. Then drive to Melbourne along the coast. Stay there for a few days. Then drive back to Sydney via the inland route. Any tips, dos/don'ts?
    As BavarianBeast mentioned, don't bother driving. Coastal roads in Australia aren't like they are in California, you don't get to drive along the beach with breathtaking views the entire way. Domestic flights in Australia are cheap and you will save substantial time, Australia is a big country. Also, don't spend more than two days in Sydney. Once you have checked out all the major tourist attractions it is just another big city. I much prefer Melbourne but I may be biased as that is where all my family is. I would recommend you spend a few days (three max) in each city after which you should spend a week in Noosa Heads. While in Noosa Heads, go to the Surf Life Saving Club order the fish and chips and a pint to wash it down. You can thank me later.
    Last edited by KRyn; 02-04-2019 at 10:47 AM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

ok that's not quite what I have in mind lol. How about the ocean road west of Melbourne? thx guys keep them coming

My Ride
    has a stick axle

It's your vacation but with only having two weeks in the country I wouldn't want to waste any of it driving around when there is so much to see and do. Going to Australia and not spending any time checking out the Gold Coast / Sunshine Coast would be a waste of a trip in my opinion.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

We didn't buy insurance because I figured my credit card would just cover it. Well it did, but it took 14 months before Allianz Global finally sent me the cheque over. Lesson learned I guess, easier just to pay the extra 10% for insurance lol.

Great Ocean Road is cool but can be done in a day from Melbourne. If I had two weeks, I would fly into Melborune and spend 2-3 days, check out Phillips island and great ocean road.. Then fly over to Sydney for a couple days, then fly to Brisbane and rent a car, drive down Gold/Sunshine coast and down to Byron Bay, drive back north to Noosa and then fly home from Brisbane.

It all really depends what you want to see though. If you want spectacular scenery, fly to Kiwi island to the south lol.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Is it not too rush to do three areas in two weeks? I like beaches but I'm not gonna be swimming and doing any water activities this time, not partying neither. It's more like taking it easy with scenery, food and culture. Sure I want to check out the touristy places for once but I don't need to hang out there. I'd much prefer some quite time to recharge hence my first thought of driving. Checking flights and it's about the same if I go Brisbane first and come back from Melbourne. The other way is much more. Flying in and out from Sydney means I have to do one more flight if I wan to do all three spots.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

If if you have little interest in beaches and none in going into the ocean Noosa Heads isn't really the place for you. Seems like a long way to go to just check out some major cities and eat a few meals. But to each their own, lucky for you the food in Australia is excellent, and the coffee is amazing.

Your idea of going Brisbane --> Sydney --> Melbourne is good. I think you would be better served doing some driving in and around Brisbane. I tend to not spend more than 2-3 days in any major city centre as I quickly get bored of walking around and looking at stuff. To me relaxing and recharging involves planting my ass on the beach and enjoying the sun and ocean while eating and drinking as much as I can. If you enjoy wine I would try and get out to the Mornington Peninsula in Melbourne. Now there is an area I could drive around and enjoy myself all day, checking out all the vineyards.
    Last edited by KRyn; 02-04-2019 at 01:45 PM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I don't mean to stay in the cities all day. I'm more than happy to go out for half a day and come back to the cities in the late afternoon/evening. I'd practically have 4 days each for the three cities. How's driving in the cities? Should I even get a car in Sydney if there is nothing outside the city?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Driving in the cities is great, Australia is hands down the best country I have ever driven in. I would get a car in Brisbane and Melbourne, but wouldn't bother with Sydney though since there isn't much within day trip distance. IMO Brisbane is the one you'd want to spend more time in as the attractions around the area are better; Zoo, Nimbin (LOL), Noosa, Gold & Sunshine Coast, Bina Bura, Byron...

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Alright, booked my flights to Brisbane and back from Melbourne. Minus flight time, I only have 12 days to spend. Should I do 3 days in Brisbane, 2 days in sunshine/gold coast (or just do day trips and stay in Brisbane), 3 days in Sydney and 4 days in Melbourne?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Sounds like a good plan to me brother. 3 Days in Sydney might be a little long, but I'm sure you'll keep busy.

I'd stay a night in the gold coast and a night in the sunshine coast. Surfers Paradise is a great spot to hang out if your single. Highly recommend spending a night in Byron Bay if you have a chance, it's a super chill and laid back spot.

Check out the zoo outside Brisbane if you have a chance, it's one of the best I've seen. Phillips Island is a super cool experience too (outside Melbourne).

If you like Japanese meat on a stick, check out Tokyo bird in Sydney and Bird's Nest in Brisbane.

Need any more suggestions, let me know!

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Yeah, I'm debating if I should shorten my time in Sydney. Both the Zoo by Brisbane and Philip Island are on my list. Bryon Bay is doable. I can just continue my way from Gold Coast. Even more doable if I steal a day from Sydney.
    Good stuff man, I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks guys!