Quantcast
Climate Change vs Geomagnetic Reversal - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Climate Change vs Geomagnetic Reversal

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Climate Change vs Geomagnetic Reversal

Now, I'm not much of a conspiracy theory guy, but I'm finding this pretty humorous [zenops]

Climate change? Catastrophic, we're all going to die, apocolypse.

Reversing of the poles? Meh, even though there are some serious concerns about it doing so and we have zero way to affect it besides planning for it to happen, who cares!

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...e-should-be-ok

It really makes one wonder, we probably SHOULD be prepared for the magnetic reversal because of how quiet about it governments and scientists are being. The earth's magnetic field is essential to life on earth, and yet one dropping to only 5% of its current strength illicits a yawn.[/zenops]

I've studied at length, the effects that a pole reversal would have on the earth. Extinction level event can occur if it happens to coincide with a solar flare gamma burst at the exact same time (approximately 200 years estimated weakness).

Half the planet, the side facing the sun - would essentially be nuked in about 15 minutes. Not even bacteria would survive. If you happen to be the dead shadow of earth, you have a slight chance of survival, but probably at most two weeks before it would be over.

Dun dun duhhh.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-05-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I can only assume this thread is related to NOAA's recent change in their pole-wander model?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Trucks

The magnetic North Pole is moving 55 km/year, up from 9km/year in the year 2000. I’d say that is a little concerning and the fact an area in the South Pacific (I need to double check location) has already reversed poles. I wonder what weather implications this will have and if it is possibly causing the climate change we are already seeing.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can only assume this thread is related to NOAA's recent change in their pole-wander model?
    Maybe that is what prompted the article I read (bloomberg or NationalPost, I forget which had it).

Darell basically summed it up though. In addition, I can't imagine the modeling being that difficult (I'm being facetious here, but seriously, take compass, compare year over year change to where magnetic north previously was).

Sounds like the rate of change has increased dramatically, which usually occurs before a pole flip. We're due for one as well.

Worst case is basically what ZenOps described. Especially because we have no real good idea just how long the atmosphere on Earth would last without it (thousands of years is the guess).

Again, my point is just one of interest between how two things that could theoretically be catastrophic, one could be covered in excruciating detail while the other ignored. Bee colony collapse has gotten more news attention than the poles possibly flipping, and yet bees would be directly affected by the earth's magnetism (as would thousands of species in general). Geese are going to have one hell of a time when they migrate the wrong direction!

Scientists absolutely hate mentioning pole reversal because there is literally no money in it. There is no conceivable way to stop it, no human invention could ever be built to even delay it a year. You also cannot stop a solar flare, or influence it in any way.

The only way to make a tiny bit of money off of it is by making it into an Armageddon Hollywood movie.

My Ride
    Silverado

nvm

My Ride
    Bicycle

Name:  polo-nord-magnetico-nyt.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  40.1 KB

My Ride
    Silverado

What are the implications of the pole moving?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I always thought it was similar to global warming... where the ice caps will melt, but due to the axis that the earth spins on shifting instead of CO2

I once brought this up during a typical pub style conversation for possibly being the reason for the rising ocean levels... but got laughed at... was with a pretty liberal group though, so global warming was obviously their biggest concern!

*not a scientist

Or was that just the plot of a movie?
    Last edited by ercchry; 02-05-2019 at 10:53 PM.

My Ride
    Trucks

When they do flip, which sounds like a thousand year event, likely would leave the planet with a severely weakened magnetic shield that blocks the damaging radiation from space. Every animal that is exposed gets cancer and dies or adapts and lives.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    When they do flip, which sounds like a thousand year event, likely would leave the planet with a severely weakened magnetic shield that blocks the damaging radiation from space. Every animal that is exposed gets cancer and dies or adapts and lives.
    If would be funny if all the emission we are trying to stop is what will shield us from this effect and key to survival.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    A pole reversal is more on the magnitude of averaging every 300,000 years. It's been about 700,000 since the last one.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    If would be funny if all the emission we are trying to stop is what will shield us from this effect and key to survival.
    I had that thought as well. All that extra CO2 in the atmosphere saves humanity.

Beyond what Darrel said, the magnetic field actually protects the earth's atmosphere from the solar wind (charged particles coming from the sun). Without it, Earth would be like Mars, no atmosphere because the solar wind would literally strip the earth of its atmosphere. There is a hypothesis that this is one of the reasons Mars has no atmosphere anymore. This would take a long time though (thousands of years). But between that and radiation, it wouldn't take long for Earth to be in serious trouble. Of course, the pole flip is thought to occur and then flip back, sometimes within only decades/centuries (hypothesized, no proof, but recent research has lead them to believe this).

https://www.space.dtu.dk/english/Res...magnetic_field
    Unlike the Earth, Mars has no inner dynamo to create a major global magnetic field. This, however, does not mean that Mars does not have a magnetosphere; simply that it is less extensive than that of the Earth. The magnetosphere of Mars is far simpler and less extensive than that of the Earth.
    Basically, Mars core solidified/cooled partially, leading to it losing its dynamo.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

There have been millions of years between reversal. They still don't know why they happen. One theory is massive impact or one 2 tectonic plates collide hard enough to disrupt the cores flow. We spend more time in the normal polarity, like now.

Nothing really happens when they do shift, and no massive extinction events have been reliably correlated. Well ignore whacko conspiracy theories.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

There is also the idea that whether or not the earth will be susceptible to sun damage is totally based on the complete randomness of which way the poles shift in relation to the sun.

If the pole reverses north south with north or south facing the sun, we will have a period where there is potential for an extinction event, if the pole happens to reverse at exactly 90 degree angle to the sun, there will be no period of time where the surface of the earth is in danger.

The last dinosaur extinction event might have been simply an extended period of time where the pole reversed north (or south) facing the sun. If it had simply reversed 90 degrees (east west in relation to the sun), the dinosaurs would probably still be ruling the earth to this day - and humans might not have ever had a chance to own the earth.

Silly lucky humans.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-08-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Terminator View Post
    There have been millions of years between reversal. They still don't know why they happen. One theory is massive impact or one 2 tectonic plates collide hard enough to disrupt the cores flow. We spend more time in the normal polarity, like now.

Nothing really happens when they do shift, and no massive extinction events have been reliably correlated. Well ignore whacko conspiracy theories.
    Shifting of the poles off axis could definitely be responsible for changes to immediate climate like we are seeing. But I was also questioning this "extinction event" conspiracy stuff. If the poles flip, how are we not protected from the sun? Not sure if anyone has ever flipped a magnet upside down? But it still functions exactly the same.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Shifting of the poles off axis could definitely be responsible for changes to immediate climate like we are seeing.
    This will be next on the US Republican parties list of excuses not to help the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This will be next on the US Republican parties list of excuses not to help the environment.
    Not going to go down this rabbit hole of BS rhetoric arguments. lol

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    But it still functions exactly the same.
    Your fundamental lack of understanding of basic physics is astonishing (all three of you).

And if you had even bothered to read the link I provided, or googled the information, you'd see why.

Flipping a magnet upsidedown and it still functions exactly the same? Oh my fuck, I can honestly say that might be one of the single dumbest statements I've seen on Beyond that isn't by a troll.

And the three of you all think the same. Fucking hell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast