Quantcast
Beyond San Fransisco Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beyond San Fransisco Thread

Default Beyond San Fransisco Thread

Moving this to its own thread... let's get a Beyond meetup planned!
    @rage2 @kenny @Toms-SC @TomcoPDR

Anyone living in SF or the bay area right now? Was originally planning on living in Palo Alto/Mountain View as it's close to my wife's office, but having only been here a week, people are telling us to live in SF and just take the Caltrain in as there's just a lot more things going on in SF vs the burbs. Point taken, I guess. Now looking for a place in Mission/SoMa. SF rent doesn't seem as bad as Palo Alto rent, and there are way cooler places available.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

We lived in Palo Alto at the junction of Mountain View (El Camino and Arastradero) when I worked at Stanford. A lot of our friends lived nearby so we use to Caltrain or drive up to the City on weekends. This setup worked well for us but I would've lived in SF in a heartbeat if it had made more sense, I love that city. Mission/SoMa are good lively areas, we also liked Noe Valley and the Sunset district. What are you doing there? Hope you guys have a good meetup.

My Ride
    Lease

I'd be down for random meets. I guess post in here next time I'm down and see if anyone else is.

In the mean time, California dreamin'

Their business centre Costco has way more selections. I like the Costco business centres a lot better, just pure bulk items. Way less line ups

There's also just so much line ups everywhere you eat though. Basically open any eatery, guaranteed busy for the first few weeks.

Saw this cool looking Porsche in some middle class strip mall in Millbrae. Texted to a Beyond baller, he's like, that'd be worth $500,000 USD. I'm thinking wtf... just some average looking mid 40's Asian dude with his gf.

SIL car broken into downtown SF Lowe's, right in front row 15 mins p/u stalls too. In house security don't give a shit. I left my backpack in back seat lol, so thankful being a Calgarian/Canadian at times. I leave shit in my vehicles all the time, luggages, laptops, don't give a shit. In SFO, they warn me (the locals) you can't even leave a pair of sunglasses in plain sight.

Last edited by TomcoPDR; 02-08-2019 at 11:40 AM.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Beyond meet at Good Vibrations?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SIL car broken into downtown SF Lowe's, right in front row 15 mins p/u stalls too. In house security don't give a shit. I left my backpack in back seat lol, so thankful being a Calgarian/Canadian at times. I leave shit in my vehicles all the time, luggages, laptops, don't give a shit. In SFO, they warn me (the locals) you can't even leave a pair of sunglasses in plain sight.
    Dude, it's the same here in Calgary around the beltline. Closer to safe injection site, worse it get. Especially parkades.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Geo View Post
    Now looking for a place in Mission/SoMa. SF rent doesn't seem as bad as Palo Alto rent, and there are way cooler places available.
    Is there any truth to this video from about a year ago?

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:45 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    I miss everything about SF except for the bums downtown.
    But not the ones in Castro?

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    But not the ones in Castro?
    Zing

Man I'd kill for a Super Duper Burger right now. I miss everything about SF except for the bums downtown.
    Seriously one of the consistent best burgers. Did you ever try the malt shakes?
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    This and that.

I was there again a couple of weekend's ago. My brother in law lives in the Bay area so we end up going relatively often. I was shocked after hearing how expensive everything is over there. Other than the decent weather, I literally have 0 interest in wanting to move there considering the traffic, expense, long commutes, overcrowded malls, streets, roads etc. And the weather alone for sure doesn't justify it for me enough. And then the general shitty American things such as rude people, shitty health care, lack of a decent standard of life makes the whole prospect even shittier. The couple of weekend's ago when we were there, we decided to go to Palo Alto to have Shake Shack as apparently it's the only in the Bay area right now and the fucking line-up was literally a couple of km's long going to the side walk. I was like fuck that, so we just left and I had it at the LA airport instead. lol.

I mean it's beautiful out there for sure but the downsides are just WAY too many for to ever consider moving there. BIL and his wife started out living in SF downtown when his wife was going to business school. They were paying $5K a month rent for a 1 bedroom apartment with no parking some few blocks from the Fisherman's Wharf area. After finishing school, they moved to Dublin and were paying $2800 for a small two bedroom apartment (took BIL 2 hour one way to get to work near SJ) and now they are in the San Jose area and are close to $3800 rent for a smaller two bedroom apartment. If you're filthy rich with unlimited money then sure you'd love it there.

Moving this to its own thread... let's get a Beyond meetup planned!
    @rage2 @kenny @Toms-SC @TomcoPDR

Anyone living in SF or the bay area right now? Was originally planning on living in Palo Alto/Mountain View as it's close to my wife's office, but having only been here a week, people are telling us to live in SF and just take the Caltrain in as there's just a lot more things going on in SF vs the burbs. Point taken, I guess. Now looking for a place in Mission/SoMa. SF rent doesn't seem as bad as Palo Alto rent, and there are way cooler places available.
    Been down here for a year now and living in Dog Patch. Selecting a place to live really depends on what stage you are at in life and how much of a risk you want to take for petty theft. In general, there is a lot of things to do in the Bay area.

Commuting for work sucks. I'm down to a 10-minute commute using an e-bike. Taking the train to Palo Alto from SF will be about an hour each way.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    I mean it's beautiful out there for sure but the downsides are just WAY too many for ever to consider moving there.
    Folks who were born and raised here suffer from the bubble syndrome. This place is not usual. However, if you go into it recognizing that then it is just a digital Fort Mac. You get working experience that you would have been unlikely to get in Calgary and the potential of becoming a millionaire with less effort. A bunch of the employees at Juul received six-digit bonuses a couple of months ago. I figure that after you have proven yourself a valuable employee that you could end up working remote while making bank. That is my exit strategy.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:45 AM.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Toms-SC View Post
    Folks who were born and raised here suffer from the bubble syndrome. This place is not usual. However, if you go into it recognizing that then it is just a digital Fort Mac. You get working experience that you would have been unlikely to get in Calgary and the potential of becoming a millionaire with less effort. A bunch of the employees at Juul received six-digit bonuses a couple of months ago. I figure that after you have proven yourself a valuable employee that you could end up working remote while making bank. That is my exit strategy.
    I can see that I guess with all the tech millionaires/companies and what not that are out there. That being said, me personally, I'd rather be a big fish in a small sea than a big fish in a massive sea where everyone else is the same and better. The profession I am in doesn't quite allow me to be able to just up and move anyway so that factor is a big issue for me as well. I see your point though. My BIL is Phd in Molecular Biology and he's a scientist at a pharmaceutical company out there. For his field, there's barely any jobs in Alberta and not that many more in Ontario/BC, so for him, professionally, it certainly makes sense. As far as making money there is concerned, if you have some to invest, you can always do that out there while not necessarily living there. My family has properties (investment and holiday) in the LA area for quite some time so I definitely see the financial benefit that is to be gained in a market which is always growing exponentially.

I've personally lived in India, Scotland and obviously Canada and extensively traveled/stayed for extended periods in the US, for me personally, considering everything, Alberta is the best choice. And yes, a lot of it has to do with the fact that it is Canada and I love what Canada stands for largely. I hate the weather and all that but I find the two major cities in Alberta to be the perfect size where you can enjoy if you need to and the busyness doesn't make your life miserable in other ways. I personally even find Toronto too big and busy so of course SF and the Bay area are going to be too crazy for my liking. If we had California like weather (except for when it is too hot), this place would be freaking perfect, but of course nothing is ever perfect. lol

I am not saying there's anything wrong with yours or anyone else's choice in wanting to live there. You've got to do what makes the best sense for you. These are more so me specific things and the reasons why I personally could/would never consider moving out there. I have had opportunities but I have let them pass due to these reasons.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 02-09-2019 at 04:03 PM.

^^ I love visiting (cousin lives in Dublin) but anyone with an average income is going to have a tough time living there. For tourists though, getting around the Bay Area is so much easier compared to LA/SoCal and there's way more to see and do.
    LOL Not the kind of bums I'm talking about. I meant it as all of SF proper is "downtown" to me as opposed to the general Bay Area.
    Hell yeah, garlic fries too, you gotta make it count.
    You legit have my exact order.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Toms-SC View Post
    Been down here for a year now and living in Dog Patch. Selecting a place to live really depends on what stage you are at in life and how much of a risk you want to take for petty theft. In general, there is a lot of things to do in the Bay area.

Commuting for work sucks. I'm down to a 10-minute commute using an e-bike. Taking the train to Palo Alto from SF will be about an hour each way.
    My wife and I are checking out a loft in dogpatch tomorrow morning... want to grab lunch?? What do you think about the area? Found a furnished 1050sqft loft for 4k/m... could be worse I suppose.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Man I'd kill for a Super Duper Burger right now. I miss everything about SF except for the bums downtown.
    +1

I was down for 4 days and ate it 3 times.

My wife and I are checking out a loft in dogpatch tomorrow morning... want to grab lunch?? What do you think about the area? Found a furnished 1050sqft loft for 4k/m... could be worse I suppose.
    Its the perfect closeness. Avoid anything on 4th street as it is a loud street. The only problem with this neighborhood is the lack of a grocery store. The closest one is a 20-minute walk, but hey, this is SF, you could get it delivered. I've got plans already but hit up neighborhood bakery or hardknox.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Looks like I’m down there on Thursday and Friday, flying out Saturday first thing in the morning.

Thursday is V-Day so it’ll be a shit show anywhere. Friday night meet? Not 100% sure if I’ll have a car or not this trip as it’s just a short stay for some meetings, easy enough to Uber anywhere really. I’m staying in Belmont so we can hang out down here as well if everyone has cars.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast