Quantcast
Water Softener - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Water Softener

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many of the beyonders here have a bypass for the kitchen cold? The bypass might not be do-able for me as my basement is developed. The added salt doesn't concern me as its minimal, I'm more worried about the taste
    I have it but I also added an extra fridge-T to have the option of drinking the softened water (and making ice with it).
    I tried it and I don't notice it, at all so now the fridge is soft and the ice is WAY better too.
    Don't worry about it unless you're that wing nut who said new houses have HDPE piping taste in their water.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Looking to get a water softener for my house. Saw the Costco one for $500 (cheaper in store)
    https://www.costco.ca/Watts-Premier-...100411451.html

Any beyonders have it? Most of the websites say to look for 2 piece units, seems to be a hit/miss with the single piece units

I’ve had this one for 4-5 years. Zero issues, works great.

No problem! I have my whole house using soft water, except for the taps/bibs outside. I could taste the difference in the water when we first got it, but now I'm used to it and can't really tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I just installed this one. https://www.lowes.ca/water-softeners...ater-softening

Actually got it for only $630 a few weeks ago because of a 10% off everything online sale. It has much better reviews than the one you're looking at.
    I used a similar unit. Canadian tire has the same family just a 30,000 grain that gots on sale often. It works great haven't had any issues.

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Basically every Canadian forum I asked told me to get this, from these people : https://www.aquatell.ca/products/fle...ner-by-aqualux
    Dual tank is nice, but more expensive. Cheaper to just get an oversized one.
    Thanks - I just bought this.

Found a plumber on kijiji to do the install for $230 including all supplies.

My Ride
    M3P

Anyone who bought the Fleck 5600SXT Water Softener know how to turn the softness down?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Huh? You water is either soft, or it isn’t.

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    LOL Damn. I'm just finding that the water is extremely soft. I've had water softeners in past homes but the water i've been getting feels much more "slippery" if you will.

I wasn't sure if there was a way to make it less so or not

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    LOL Damn. I'm just finding that the water is extremely soft. I've had water softeners in past homes but the water i've been getting feels much more "slippery" if you will.

I wasn't sure if there was a way to make it less so or not
    Usually. I find mine is ideally set at "13" which I assume is the grains per gallon number.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    There are softness settings. Like having a half-boner instead of a raging wood, or a "George".

Anyone have any recommendations for whole home water filter?

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Usually. I find mine is ideally set at "13" which I assume is the grains per gallon number.
    This determines how often the softener needs to recycle, not the water output quality.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    This determines how often the softener needs to recycle, not the water output quality.
    Disagree. On mine, the higher you set it to, the softer it makes the water. I find it becomes noticeably slippery above 14.
    Although you're also right because the higher it's set, the more salt it will consume and the more frequent its regenerations will be.

The setting is used to calculate when to recharge. If set to low you will saturate the ability to remove hardness which in turn makes harder water. Upon recharge you would be back to capacity for some time. You could appear to have harder water but really it is just causing unstable water hardness. Now I’m not sure how linear it is vs exponential.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

What area of the city are you in? Have a buddy in Cranston that has his set to 14. I'm up in sage and mine is set to 12

My Ride
    Trucks

What area of the city are you in? Have a buddy in Cranston that has his set to 14. I'm up in sage and mine is set to 12
    Last year’s averages were 15.2 from Glenmore Dam and 11.7 from Bearspaw. Both are +- 2 to 3 depending on river flow.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Disagree. On mine, the higher you set it to, the softer it makes the water. I find it becomes noticeably slippery above 14.
    Although you're also right because the higher it's set, the more salt it will consume and the more frequent its regenerations will be.
    Softeners have no means to adjust softness. They are either working or they are starting to run out of capacity and needing to recharge. The only measurement it has is volume of water passed though the softener. The setting just adjusts how many gallons it takes to trigger the timer.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Softeners have no means to adjust softness. They are either working or they are starting to run out of capacity and needing to recharge. The only measurement it has is volume of water passed though the softener. The setting just adjusts how many gallons it takes to trigger the timer.
    I'm still not picking up what you're putting down. It's a softener, by definition. You ideally test your water and set the gpg number to compensate for the hardness level in your area. That's adjusting the softness. Can you explain why my friend has his on the absolute MAX setting (to help his kid's crazy skin) and his water comes out slippery like fuckin KY Jelly? 20kg/month he's running salt into that thing! If you use soap or shampoo at his house, it takes an hour to try and rinse it out. Your shower turns into a foam dance party.
    Mine has manual scheduled override for regen or "auto" which is really just a function of the volume of water put through based on the user setting for desired softness.
    So again, maybe we're not arguing because if I set mine to 20, it's going to regen FAR more often because it's burning through salt to keep the water hyper-soft. The water will be silly slippery because the softness level has been set to deal with WAY harder water than I have.
    There are a variety of machines out there that have different controls but on mine, I can crank that number up and it is adjusting the softness level desired by the user.

My Ride
    M3P

I am in Cranston as well - i'll double check to see what level mine is set and and possibly adjust from there.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2