Quantcast
Relocation from Calgary to Victoria - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Relocation from Calgary to Victoria

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:45 PM.

My Ride
    Audi

Thanks @Sugarphreak + @The PenisMighter

Any suggestions on areas to live in where you can have a bit more space (id like to be able to park my trailer at home) that isn't the forest lawn of the Victoria area? We've been looking around the area and on paper, Sooke looks nice though its far out. I'm used to the 45m commute, plus there's a longer motorcycle riding season.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Commuting from Sooke will be more annoying than you think, as everything funnels down to one spot,and it'll be slow. That's the big problem, it's not about distance, it's traffic. I really like Sooke, and depending where in Vic the office is located maybe it's not that bad. Or if you can work off-hours.

I really like Victoria, I have an uncle out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Commuting from Sooke will be more annoying than you think, as everything funnels down to one spot,and it'll be slow. That's the big problem, it's not about distance, it's traffic. I really like Sooke, and depending where in Vic the office is located maybe it's not that bad. Or if you can work off-hours.

I really like Victoria, I have an uncle out there.
    This.
    I hate the drive to Sooke and there are still piles of redneck trash out there. Check Langford again. 20 years ago it was all primer-grey Camaro's and trash but it's a fully respectable place now. They've come A LONG way.
    Will you be commuting in peak times? That makes living in the Western Communities or Sooke a lot better if you don't have to travel in rush hours.
    Central Saanich may offer more space but still expensive. Sydney is nothing but ancient people and mysterious teenagers who must not have parents plus it's that extra stretch too far from Vic. Mean age in Sydney used to be in top five of all of Canada. No thanks.
    Where's the office going to be (approximately)?

Traffic is brutal in Victoria simply because there's no lanes and lights everywhere. Also, be very careful crossing the street (in a vehicle or pedestrian), every time I go to Victoria I've seen some elderly dunce smoking through a red light.

My Ride
    Audi

Office is on Pandora so basically at the heart of "downtown" Victoria. I'm not sure my working hours yet though given the role it'll be one of those "core working hours" jobs.

Compared to the deerfoot 500 in the morning rushhour and crowchild in the afternoon, is the traffic really that bad?

It's pretty bad considering the amount of traffic. It's nothing but lights on the 17 and the #1. Small distance but brutal stop and go.

OTOH, it's Victoria so no one gives a fuck.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Take up biking.. the biking infrastructure there is pretty amazing and you can bike nearly every day all year. Especially with the Galloping Goose, and most people can actually handle driving around bikers since there are so many of them

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    Pretty sure that's most of BC
    I was in Penticton 2016. I was showing a friend from the UK the wineries etc. On the walk back to out hostel, we had a couple of guys follow us and shout racial profanities etc. It was a bit scary as all the stores were closed and roads were mostly empty. My friend was female. If it was just me, not a problem Ive had this loads before. But when your with a female and out numbered. Its kinda scary.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by hampstor View Post
    Compared to the deerfoot 500 in the morning rushhour and crowchild in the afternoon, is the traffic really that bad?
    It's far less volume, but on roads designed for far less volume. It's a very different kind of "bad". If you can be a bit zen about it, maybe it's no big deal. I've only ever been in it on vacation, and that was annoying enough. Then again, in Calgary, I chose my house so I'd never have to deal with deerfoot, crowchild or glenmore during rush hour, so my tolerance is pretty low.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Office is on Pandora so basically at the heart of "downtown" Victoria. I'm not sure my working hours yet though given the role it'll be one of those "core working hours" jobs.

It's as bad as getting to most city's downtown cores, which is bad. I find Deerfoot comparable but Victoria will have fewer accidents that completely paralyze the road.
    You may also consider Esquimalt as leaving there sticks you on a bridge near Pandora.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I cant believe that Victoria has yet to come up with a LRT type solution. Lots of hippie talk but no action.

My Ride
    Audi

Well shit is about to get real. I need to find temporary accommodations for myself in Victoria. I don't know many people in Victoria so I've been checking usedvictoria and kijiji for a 1 bedroom suite (or even roommate situation since it'll just be me solo). I was told usedvictoria is the place to check out. Any other suggestions?

My Ride
    *The First*

Well shit is about to get real. I need to find temporary accommodations for myself in Victoria. I don't know many people in Victoria so I've been checking usedvictoria and kijiji for a 1 bedroom suite (or even roommate situation since it'll just be me solo). I was told usedvictoria is the place to check out. Any other suggestions?
    Yes. Kijiji is a ghost town there for some reason.
    I'm not sure where else to look.

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

Check out Rentbc.com (I guess it's apartmentlove.com now)

Thats where I found a place when I was looking in Vancouver. It has listings in Vic as well.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Yes. Kijiji is a ghost town there for some reason.
    I'm not sure where else to look.
    For whatever reason, the Island uses Craigslist

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:46 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Def Craigslist out there - which is weird - but so is a lot of the island

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Good luck on your move. The best part of Victoria are all the cool, mint condition cars that are owned by old farts. You want to find a mint condition early 90's Mercedes 190E or E300, BMW's and Volvos? Cruise around the Oak Bay area and they are all over the place with low mileage and mint shape. My parents live out there and I visit a few times/year. Can't get over how nice the cars are.

usedvictoria and craigslist seem to be your best bet. With your office being on Pandora, there should be a plethora of apartments in the area for rent.

My Ride
    party car

Quote Originally Posted by EK 2.0 View Post

I am curious as well....as I am seriously considering relocating to BC...I wanna end up in Kelowna, but I am sure some of the information can apply haha...
    Unless your over 50 and are on the steps of retiring, don't do it

Kelowna is a nice place to visit, but living there was just okay - cost of living is high, good luck trying to buy a house on the wages they pay you and expect to pay more because you live in Kelowna - aka - Sunshine Tax.

Lived there for 9 years, moved back to Calgary last year and don't miss Kelowna one bit
    I like things with wheels.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast