Quantcast
Relocation from Calgary to Victoria - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Relocation from Calgary to Victoria

My Ride
    Audi

found a place to live temporary thx guys

Any advice on getting parking though ? They're not even taking people on wait lists at the city lots. Robbins is the same.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by hampstor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    found a place to live temporary thx guys

Any advice on getting parking though ? They're not even taking people on wait lists at the city lots. Robbins is the same.
    View Street Parkade was always the most reasonable and centrally located for what I needed.

My Ride
    V167

BC beyonder meet?

My Ride
    Audi

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    BC beyonder meet?
    Sure but we need to do it on a Wednesday evening on the top floor of a shopping mall parkade...

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    View Street Parkade was always the most reasonable and centrally located for what I needed.
    Thanks, i'll check out if they have a monthly rate. I won't need it right away since I found a place where I can walk to work (Fernwood), however when I buy a house in the summer im going to need parking.

My Ride
    *The First*

How's it going?
    I just found out the old Vic Plaza Hotel burned down or almost down! I bet that caused a huge stir near downtown.

My Ride
    Audi

How's it going?
    I just found out the old Vic Plaza Hotel burned down or almost down! I bet that caused a huge stir near downtown.
    The hotel was a block from where I work, we just went up to the top floor and watched it for a bit. That was a bit surreal considering how close it was to our office.

Surprisingly, I've rapidly started shedding the 'Alberta Experience' as my coworkers call it (several colleagues of mine are originally from Alberta). I take public transit to work sometimes (~7m on the bus) or walk (30m) , I walk to the grocery store, I don't "buy all the things", and I spend more time outside than I do inside. My motorcycle still has 3/4 tank of gas in it from Alberta... I've barely used it.

My family is still in Calgary and I do go back on weekends. As far as my family move goes, the plan is still to move first week of July. We sold our home in Calgary, and we just lifted conditions on the purchase of a home in View Royal. While I can't walk to work anymore from View Royal, it's still 1 bus ride that's ~30m including walking to the bus stop, or 25m on the bicycle.

Overall, i'm loving the lifestyle change. Still an Alberta boy though.... still support pipelines.

So when are we going to do a beyond meet in Victoria??

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Glad to hear it's going well.

The hotel was a block from where I work, we just went up to the top floor and watched it for a bit. That was a bit surreal considering how close it was to our office.

Surprisingly, I've rapidly started shedding the 'Alberta Experience' as my coworkers call it (several colleagues of mine are originally from Alberta). I take public transit to work sometimes (~7m on the bus) or walk (30m) , I walk to the grocery store, I don't "buy all the things", and I spend more time outside than I do inside. My motorcycle still has 3/4 tank of gas in it from Alberta... I've barely used it.

My family is still in Calgary and I do go back on weekends. As far as my family move goes, the plan is still to move first week of July. We sold our home in Calgary, and we just lifted conditions on the purchase of a home in View Royal. While I can't walk to work anymore from View Royal, it's still 1 bus ride that's ~30m including walking to the bus stop, or 25m on the bicycle.

Overall, i'm loving the lifestyle change. Still an Alberta boy though.... still support pipelines.

Nice to hear its going well!
    Nothing wrong with taking alternative means to work aside from driving (unless its winter and rains for 3 months)...

but oil is still king! lol

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Revscene meets on Friday @ save on foods uptown, I miss those haha

My Ride
    V8s

Glad to hear its working out. Do yourself a favor though, and get out on the bike. Theres hundreds of kms of twisties and great pavement off the main roads (out towards sooke, or ride up to port renfrew, etc); its what I miss most from living there.

My Ride
    *The First*

View Royal?
    #OhYouFancyHuh

My Ride
    Audi

View Royal?
    #OhYouFancyHuh
    Hardly fancy... House built in 55 and an exterior in need of some updating! The good thing is I'm only a few minutes walk from 4 Mile.

My Ride
    Audi

It's been a year and a half since I moved out to Victoria from Calgary, and figured i'd provide an update on a few things.

Cost of Living:
    - Higher in some things (eg. insurance, gasoline, meat) but a lot of other things cost less (kids activities cost less, utilities are less, even lower property taxes out here). Overall, I think i'm further ahead financially despite making less money.
    - Since we moved here, we estimate the value of our home is now ~20% higher than our purchase price, so either I got a really good deal on our home or the market here is a bit crazy. It might be a bit both because the homes in my neighbourhood are selling within a week of being listed, and my friends think i got a good deal on this home.

Kids Stuff:
    - kids spend more time outdoors without me pushing them outside. They will get on their bikes and just go for a bike around the neighbourhood or over to the pump track, or go across the street to the neighbours house.
    - kids walk to school. I'm close to a K5 and a 6-8 school. Highschool though will be via BC transit. Kids here of all ages take BC transit to school as well - there are no yellow school busses with the public system.
    - We try and do semi-regular walks to the ocean or a beach as a family. The ocean and a pebble beach (portage beach) is ~10min walk away. There are also so many other little beaches and coves to hang out at.
    - kids are making friends here but painfully miss their Calgary friends. Unfortunately with COVID19 this year not a lot of people were able to come out to visit us. Hopefully next year that'll change!!

People:
    - Overall, friendly, but a lot more reserved than Calgary. Striking up a random conversation while you're waiting in line isn't something that people do here (even before COVID19). Might be why people say it's hard to make friends here?
    - Despite the proximity to Vancouver, there are so many more white people here than any other race. Not many people of ethnicity here.
    - Lots of old people, but also lots of young people too. From what my friends tell me, single women significantly outnumber single men in the 30-45 demographic.

Weather:
    - It rained all January, 2/3 of Feb, and then from about mid March to now, there's been little rain.
    - It snowed for 1 day which resulted in the city being shut down for 2 days (in all fairness we got 8" of snow in 1 night). There are no snowplows here as well.
    - Aside from that, it's mostly sunny and nice. Cold is a relative term - it doesn't get cold here.

Food:
    - I really miss the variety of Calgary. Not a lot of variety here from restaurants to grocery stores. There's no T&T here and Fairway isn't even close to being the same.
    - Chinese food here also isn't very good, which is a shock since the oldest Chinatown in Canada is here and we're so close to richmond.
    - I find myself buying local more often now (eg. shopping at the Root Cellar vs. Superstore). It didn't really matter to me as much in Alberta but for some reason I seem to just do it here without thinking about it.
    - BEER IS AMAZING.

I remember I was worried about feeling trapped on the island before we moved here. Now that i'm here, I'm happy to be trapped. The high cost of a ferry keeps people out

Overall, this is an amazing place to live and we are constantly going "wow, we actually live here??" as we keep discovering and seeing new things. While I doubted myself for almost a year (and I still harbour doubts), we are happy to have made the move!

My Ride
    *The First*

^Good update.
    You will find out gets legit cold. -4°C in that humidity is honestly about like -22 in Edmonton and maybe -18 in Calgary. It's rare, but shocking.
    You'll notice produce is slightly cheaper and dry or processed groceries (mostly made Ont/PQ) cost slightly more as they needed that extra 1,100km of trucking. Dimes here & there...
    Fairways sucks and always has. Are you Chinese and yearning for more Asian food, or, are you white and are still missing better Asian food variety? People used to rave about Wings restaurant which I'm picturing being near a Big-O Tire somewhere Hillside~ish. I don't think I ever ate there; but, the DimSum at one of the fancy places in Chinatown was excellent... Fucking name... I think it had Dragon in it... I'll check and update.
    I always find the best place to be way the fuck out in Skidney. It was called Maple Palace. Everything was. So. Good! Also, Chop Suey on the west coast isn't 99% bean sprouts, either. There's more Bok Choy and it's way better, as is their green onion cake.
    Try John's Place for Thai Food, downtown Vic.

Go to Durance Lake and Sooke Pot-Holes (but don't speak to anyone from Sooke... They're subhuman).

My Ride
    Axis powers

I got curious reading this thread and wanted to look at RE there

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...royal-glentana

648k and the description is affordable... for who exactly if salaries are less?
    Sig nuked by mod.

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    I got curious reading this thread and wanted to look at RE there

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...royal-glentana

648k and the description is affordable... for who exactly if salaries are less?
    Simple. 1) Rich (corrupt) Chinese Nationals and 2) Those who sold their Vancouver homes to aforementioned Chinese Nationals
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

How about the Russians? He already said there aren't many Chinese people there and the Chinese food sucks. Logic would extrapolate that the restaurant cooks are spies who can't cook.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'd be able to handle Victoria climate. 10x more liveable than Van-city. My uncle used to live out near Sooke. He's on Oak Bay now.
    My wife could get work in Victoria no problem. Looks like similar salary as she makes here. Myself, I'd take a 50% pay cut and have a hard time getting a position even at that price. Probably end up driving a forklift. Although I love driving a forklift.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

^ I used to drive a forklift, there! I was a fucking surgeon on a forklift!
    Don't let the mods know I'm your alt.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've driven a forklift on 2 continents. Neener Neener.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast