Quantcast
Aviva is refusing to allow collision on any car over 500hp (split) - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Aviva is refusing to allow collision on any car over 500hp (split)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't say the premium for my viper is that bad, but I had to agree to a 10k deductible.
    Did you check with anyone else or just agreed to it?

My Ride
    *The First*

Exotic cars have high deductibles, but it's a choice for the customer. You don't want $10k? Fine. You can get $5k or less, just be prepared to pay a much higher premium. You can CHOOSE to get it as low as $500 but again, get ready to pay.
    Haggerty is not going to force you into a ludicrous deductible, for example. Pay to play and weigh the risk/reward.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Its not that they are in need of cash. They have cash. Its just that they are losing money in this line of business.

We have the same issue in our office, rates have gone up and clients are livid.
    Rage2 pretty much summed it up.
    Yes Rage2 summed it up that insurance companies are losing a ton of money to people circumventing soft tissue injury caps. What does this have to do with 500hp cars?

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Every auto policy is a potential liability. Insurance companies do more than auto. There is no way to predict which policies would have to pay out on an injury settlement. I’m pretty sure class of cars or usage types have nothing to do with it because you can’t predict who those clients hit. Could be a shitbox in a parking lot, could be a Viper on the highway. The math shows that they can’t be profitable in auto as it sits now, so to limit their exposure they’re just booting clients off using every trick in the book allowable under current regulations. The remaining clients will still lose money, just less money which will be offset by profits in other insurance products, probably less than what it costs to come back into Alberta market if they pulled out completely. When the problem is fixed, they’ll lift the restrictions and bring back clients.

That’s my best guess as to what’s happening. I’m sure there’s way smarter people there that have calculated how much to shrink their auto insurance exposure to offset the costs of marketing to bring clients back down the road as well.
    That's a fair guess at least.

I can't say the premium for my viper is that bad, but I had to agree to a 10k deductible.
    Is it a Gen2 by chance? That doesn't sound like an arbitrary number in that case, as a fender bender costs them 10k to replace the clamshell hood.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Exotic cars have high deductibles, but it's a choice for the customer. You don't want $10k? Fine. You can get $5k or less, just be prepared to pay a much higher premium. You can CHOOSE to get it as low as $500 but again, get ready to pay.
    Haggerty is not going to force you into a ludicrous deductible, for example. Pay to play and weigh the risk/reward.
    I'm surprised more guys don't do the same thing the exotic guys in the U.S. are doing. Just go register your car in Sask. and pay next to nothing.

I thought it was funny that Damon from DDE has his Murci registered in Alberta just to avoid having a front plate.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Misterman;4797404]Yes Rage2 summed it up that insurance companies are losing a ton of money to people circumventing soft tissue injury caps. What does this have to do with 500hp cars?
    Cost and an excuse to cut out a line of business. Soft tissue injury + cost of underwriting/reparing a exotic vs a Honda Civic would be higher. Thats my guess in this scenario.
    But I'l admit the calculations are weird as hell sometimes. There is demograhic of drivers that the company I work for should not be offering insurance too if this is the case. Yet we are still able to. Its got our collegues questioning some of this logic too.

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Did you check with anyone else or just agreed to it?
    It was the same deal with all the providers, except for haggerty it was too new for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post

Is it a Gen2 by chance? That doesn't sound like an arbitrary number in that case, as a fender bender costs them 10k to replace the clamshell hood.
    Gen 5 special edition acr, which is probably worse. Another issue is the car was appraised higher than what traditional insurers want to cover for , they have a limit of 250k .
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Problems I don't have anywhere within my automotive fleet. Vehicles worth more than $250k or vehicles with more than 500hp. Hell my three vehicles together might not have 500hp combined.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Cost and an excuse to cut out a line of business. Soft tissue injury + cost of underwriting/reparing a exotic vs a Honda Civic would be higher. Thats my guess in this scenario.
    They're cutting out "Honda Civic" owners as well by demanding 1 year upfront payments.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5173307/a...rance-changes/
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Gen 5 special edition acr, which is probably worse. Another issue is the car was appraised higher than what traditional insurers want to cover for , they have a limit of 250k .
    Surprisingly the new CF hoods aren't that expensive by comparison when I looked awhile back. Guessing your car being a "Collectible" or some sort of designation really screws your rates. Those ACR's are so rare, and their value went crazy when Dodge shut down production of the car. Nice choice though! I'd love an ACR, but at this point I'd be happy to just live somewhere I could justify getting my GenV GTS back.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

They're cutting out "Honda Civic" owners as well by demanding 1 year upfront payments.

lol.
    Yep, all new line auto insurance in our company has to pay yearly now.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    That's ridiculous.
    +1
    Once the MSRP is over $100K a lot of insurance companies want a 5% deductible.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Cause those stupid things get stolen so easy.

My Ride
    18 BRZ Sport-Tech RS, 05 Corolla XRS, Planes

Bump. Parents got a registered letter from Aviva in their mail. Aviva is demanding a SAF 1 form to be completed for renewal to "make sure they have all up to date information" as well as demanding payment in full for the year. They are also requiring that all vehicles under their policy carry TPL (i.e. no parking insurance) otherwise they will not be insured.

Parents do not have any cars over 500hp or a civc lol and are mostly clean drivers, I guess Aviva doesn't want that 55-60 year old demographic in their risk pool...
    Rides:
    2018 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
    2005 Corolla XRS
    Single Engine Planes

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Quote Originally Posted by DboyNismo View Post
    Bump. Parents got a registered letter from Aviva in their mail. Aviva is demanding a SAF 1 form to be completed for renewal to "make sure they have all up to date information" as well as demanding payment in full for the year. They are also requiring that all vehicles under their policy carry TPL (i.e. no parking insurance) otherwise they will not be insured.

Parents do not have any cars over 500hp or a civc lol and are mostly clean drivers, I guess Aviva doesn't want that 55-60 year old demographic in their risk pool...
    Seems that they are forcing customers to end the contract, but there will always be cancellation fees unless you switch right before the expiry/renewal.

Maybe they are cashing in on cancellation fees?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Bumping.

Just got my renewal with anticipated increases. I have all the numbers below from what I was paying to what I will be paying.

Driver: 30 years old. Grid rating is negative 14. No accidents. One minor traffic conviction on file.

What I was paying:

- 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan = $1420 for full coverage.
    - 2014 Ram 1500 = $1485 for full coverage.
    - 2011 Ford Fiesta = $528 for Liability only.

What I will be paying going forward:

- 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan = $1626 for full coverage.
    - 2014 Ram 1500 = $1639 for full coverage.
    - 2011 Ford Fiesta = $972 for Liability only.

It appears that Fiesta's are a menace to society??? The car costs way more to insure for liability than my Genesis and Ram. Pretty nuts if you ask me.

Anyway, as I said, I anticipated the increases after how broken the insurance industry got here in AB. Nevertheless, substantial increases are something I'm not use to. I can't remember the last time my insurance went up like this, maybe when I was 19.

Some brief good news, my motorcycle insurance dropped by a huge amount this year after selling my CBR, but I expect it is going up next year when I get my renewal.

Anyway, just wanted to post this for any interested.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Small cheap cars are really expensive to insure because of who normally drives them. It's kind of unfair, but...
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Small cheap cars are really expensive to insure because of who normally drives them. It's kind of unfair, but...
    That's racist

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Small, cheap people?

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

I don’t get the go to news to complain portion. Aviva did the same to me, my RDX wasn’t allowed for monthly and there was a big application to fill out via registered mail. They also wouldn’t provide comprehensive on my new car.

I just switched everything, house, bike, car to another insurance company. Problem solved!

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Small, cheap people?
    Teenage girls.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Was going to give Aviva a call since it was promoted at work... but now I think I'll just continue bending over for TDMM.

I called PC insurance a couple months ago and they flat out refused to insure me because I told them my wife uses her Juke to get to her gardening client's houses and she carries shovels in them, wtf?!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast