Quantcast
Car insurance for under 25 driver over $2000 a year? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Car insurance for under 25 driver over $2000 a year?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So it would make sense to buy a 1-2000$, 4 door vehicle and just go with PLPD?

What could the rates be like then?
    Insurance isn't the only input cost, saving $2K on your insurance doesn't do you much good when you have to sink $3K a year into repairs. But ya, when it's time for my kid to be on the road she'll be in something cheap enough to run just PLPD until she's got at least four or five years of clean driving history.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    When I came here in 2001 I got quotes ranging from 5600-6500 per year

I had a spotless clean 3 year driving record with no tickets or accidents of any kind, had done a driving course, and even obtained a 10% safe driving discount in BC prior to coming out

In the summer of 2003 the government finally stepped in and basically told insurance companies they had to focus on driving records rather than discriminate based on age. 2000$ would have been a dream back then.
    It still makes me sad that I had to pay $7000/year to insure a 944 turbo back in the 90s. Finally turn 25, and bam, cheap insurance! $700/year full coverage on AMGs, it was a dream. Then GRID comes into play, my premiums go up with no claims while bad drivers got 70% off their rates. I still remember @kenny having to buy occasional driver insurance to afford insurance on his SLK32 AMG, huge accident claim, GRID comes in and his insurance goes down going to a full time driver. Then he writes the car off. Fuck you kenny. Still old and bitter right here haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    But ya, when it's time for my kid to be on the road she'll be in something cheap enough to run just PLPD until she's got at least four or five years of clean driving history.
    It'll be self driving cars by then haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Insurance isn't the only input cost, saving $2K on your insurance doesn't do you much good when you have to sink $3K a year into repairs. But ya, when it's time for my kid to be on the road she'll be in something cheap enough to run just PLPD until she's got at least four or five years of clean driving history.
    Nah, thats when you just get decent, but cheap vehicles like Civics and Corollas.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It still makes me sad that I had to pay $7000/year to insure a 944 turbo back in the 90s. Finally turn 25, and bam, cheap insurance! $700/year full coverage on AMGs, it was a dream. Then GRID comes into play, my premiums go up with no claims while bad drivers got 70% off their rates. I still remember @kenny having to buy occasional driver insurance to afford insurance on his SLK32 AMG, huge accident claim, GRID comes in and his insurance goes down going to a full time driver. Then he writes the car off. Fuck you kenny. Still old and bitter right here haha.
    Don't blame me, your high insurance is probably because you live in a postal code full of asians.

PS: or the fact your E55 was written off by HK haha
    ---

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:57 PM.

My Ride
    BB6

When I was that age, TD quoted me $2800 for liability and accidental on a nine year old Protege. All other quotes were $4500-6000

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Yes full insurance but I mean its not a sports car. Pretty brutal. I guess I was lucky in New Zealand when I was looking at full insurance for my brand new car at 20 and I thought $750 a year was expensive because I had put aftermarket wheels on my car.
    When I was living in NZ, insurance was optional! At least that what I as told and the 2.5 years there, I never had it at all. All you needed was your WOF and rego and you were good to go. I remember talking about getting insurance and my friends were like, "Why would you buy insurance?" Cars were fairly cheap too and easily had because there was no domestic market. It seemed like getting Japanese tuner cars were so easy to get!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by LUDELVR View Post
    When I was living in NZ, insurance was optional! At least that what I as told and the 2.5 years there, I never had it at all. All you needed was your WOF and rego and you were good to go. I remember talking about getting insurance and my friends were like, "Why would you buy insurance?" Cars were fairly cheap too and easily had because there was no domestic market. It seemed like getting Japanese tuner cars were so easy to get!
    You get it because if you hit a BMW or Mercedes or something else expensive you would of been fucked.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

You get it because if you hit a BMW or Mercedes or something else expensive you would of been fucked.
    haha good to know now! Still, the fact that it was "optional" blew my mind away!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I have forgotten about the days of being bent over by the insurance companies. Makes my stomach turn as in 3 years I will have a 16 year old and I was planning on buying him a car and one decent enough to need full coverage... may have to rethink that...

My Ride
    Bicycle

So we are in the process of attempting to sell my MIL 2017 Corolla to her nephew who is 18 / Male / Chinese (unsure that matters) and hes got a quote from meloche for 5k per year and the lowest quote he could find was 3500 per year from some other (didnt say) provider. Ive never had to get car insurance until I was 30 here so is it really common to be faced with that sort of high insurance rates for a first time car owner. I should clarify he owns a shitty 1k car with liability only with Meloche at the moment and I think he pays less than 1K
    That's par. Tell your nephew to do a sex change if he doesn't want to pay that much.

$1900 is the cheapest PLPD I have seen in 2018.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-26-2019 at 02:27 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I wonder if the gender statistics have changed in recent years, because every teenage/early adulthood girl I have ever known have been truly dreadful drivers. Multiple serious crashes by 25 seems common.

Whereas guy friends I know I can only think of one serious crash?

Seems a more interesting topic than the flex thread.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2