Quantcast
Mercedes C450 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Mercedes C450

My Ride
    Fremont

Default Mercedes C450

I have an opportunity to assume a C450 right before it gets returned back to MB in a couple months. I believe the buyout at the end of the ~$42k.
    I'm undecided, is this a good deal?

Couple thoughts:
    -Lease transfer. What's the approx. process & price?
    -Extended warranty probably a good idea, worth it? process?
    -Why shouldn't I do it? I feel like I'm missing something
    -

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

What is the mileage on it?

Look at comparable models online. Doesn't really seem like a deal unless mileage is ultra low and in excellent shape.

My Ride
    FB6

Yeah, need to know mileage, year and condition. Also any special options/packages.

You shouldn't be doing a lease transfer at this point either, it would be a buy out, I believe there are no fees to do a buyout.

It also doesn't sound like a great deal at $42k to me either, since a c450 would be a 2016 model, ending a 3 year lease.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

42 sounds like a lot to me as well
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    Yeah, need to know mileage, year and condition. Also any special options/packages.

You shouldn't be doing a lease transfer at this point either, it would be a buy out, I believe there are no fees to do a buyout.

It also doesn't sound like a great deal at $42k to me either, since a c450 would be a 2016 model, ending a 3 year lease.
    If he takes it over a few months before lease end, then there will be a lease transfer fee. I think it's 500$ with Mercedes? But that's something you can negotiate with the seller. If he needs to get out of the car immediately for whatever reason, then 500$ is still cheaper than him paying a few more months payments on it.

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    If he takes it over a few months before lease end, then there will be a lease transfer fee. I think it's 500$ with Mercedes? But that's something you can negotiate with the seller. If he needs to get out of the car immediately for whatever reason, then 500$ is still cheaper than him paying a few more months payments on it.
    I still think if you do a buyout, you don't get the lease transferred to you, therefore no lease transfer fee. I bought a car with 21 months remaining on the lease but I paid the agreed price (bank draft to dealer) and the seller paid the difference to buy out price at that time. We met at the dealer and the car was signed over directly to me without me taking over the lease.

My Ride
    M3P

$42,000 isn't an awful price depending on what options it has; but it's not great - if you were to lease it you're probably looking at similar payments as a base C43

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    42 sounds like a lot to me as well
    I don't know if it is terrible for local ones as there are only a few cpo available in Alberta seemingly. I have been eyeing these all winter.

https://www.inventory.mercedes-benz....5B%5D=C450+AMG

I still think if you do a buyout, you don't get the lease transferred to you, therefore no lease transfer fee. I bought a car with 21 months remaining on the lease but I paid the agreed price (bank draft to dealer) and the seller paid the difference to buy out price at that time. We met at the dealer and the car was signed over directly to me without me taking over the lease.
    I know with Lexus there is a $300 administration fee for buying the vehicle out. If its early or at lease end.

Yes you can buyout a lease at any time by just paying it out. But OP said assuming it prior to the end of the lease. If he doesn't want to pay lease transfer, then giving a check to finance company and paying it out under the current owners name is totally doable.

How much cheaper are these than a similar year C43? I would imagine the C450 would have a significant discount given that they were made for such a short period and the C43's were better & more sought after.

My Ride
    Fremont

I see it every day, it's in great condition for a DD and <40,000km, winter rims.

looks like the logical signs point to not being a killer deal.
    Thanks for the sanity check.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    How much cheaper are these than a similar year C43? I would imagine the C450 would have a significant discount given that they were made for such a short period and the C43's were better & more sought after.
    Probably $10k on top of a C450 for a 2017. Only real changes on the C43 were 9spd vs 7 and a change in the awd bias to be slightly more rear. The changes from the 400 to 450 were much more numerous.

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    Probably $10k on top of a C450 for a 2017. Only real changes on the C43 were 9spd vs 7 and a change in the awd bias to be slightly more rear. The changes from the 400 to 450 were much more numerous.
    if I recall correctly, the suspension and exhaust options are also different. Suspension (lower?), transmission, and AWD bias (less so) are pretty significant differences IMHO. $10K is also a lot though, which should make the C450 a bargain used, but in the OP's case it seems a bit overpriced. The older these cars get, I feel like nobody is going to want a C450 because the 'upgrade' gap to a C43 will likely be a lot less.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-22-2019 at 10:57 AM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Transmission I can see making a noticeable difference, but I wonder if it really makes much difference between the change of 31/69 vs 33/67 split lol.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    if I recall correctly, the suspension and exhaust options are also different. Suspension (lower?), transmission, and AWD bias (less so) are pretty significant differences IMHO. $10K is also a lot though, which should make the C450 a bargain used, but in the OP's case it seems a bit overpriced. The older these cars get, I feel like nobody is going to want a C450 because the 'upgrade' gap to a C43 will likely be a lot less.
    Looks like the 43 has an option performance exhaust but the suspension should be the same as the 450 got bits from the 63. The 400 had optional airmatic though. 400 was just a C300 with a bigger, heavier engine. I probably liked the 300 more than the 400 but none have good options.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    Only real changes on the C43 were 9spd vs 7 and a change in the awd bias to be slightly more rear. The changes from the 400 to 450 were much more numerous.
    This is the right answer (mostly). IIRC the AWD bias didn't change with 450 to 43. It was just a naming change as it went from AMG Sport to fully under the AMG brand.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

MB is going to be overloaded with C43/C450 returns.

Depends on mileage and time of purchase, you can lease them for up to 60% residual for 45 months.

So a buyout of $42K would mean a C450 around around $70K. Not all option boxes checked but pretty close. Probably missing the sport seat and self driving bits.

I have to say my C450 has been the best ownership experience in my life. Nothing has ever gone wrong. Pretty solid car, solid dealership service. Still, I would be wary owning it out of warranty.

Also $42 is probably what you would see sold privately. So all you are gaining in a known driver/history, assuming you are picking this up from a friend. I expect all C450 owners are ditching their lease and move on to something different as buyout is way too high.

MB 2019 line up residuals are not as good as back in 2016.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-26-2019 at 11:17 AM.