Quantcast
2019 camping thread. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 camping thread.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default 2019 camping thread.

Well reservations for may long in Alberta open today. Let's get our camping chat going.

I've got a big BC trip planned out to porteau cove if I can get a site for the days I need.

What's on the radar for you folks?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Hoping to get into Kokanee Creek for the August long, but that's a giant crapshoot as we won't be booking the week ahead. From there, headed to the Island for Miracle Beach.

Otherwise, lots of days out at Lower Lake again this year. With just moving to Airdrie, probably poke around in the Fallentimber area as well more

My Ride
    Silverado

I have a hard time ever wanting to go and support tourism in a place that actively tries to damage the Alberta economy.

I'll probably stay in AB all summer, the wife wants to go to Oregon, which may be alright - trying to steer her towards Montana instead.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I've mentioned this is the other thread, but we got Greenpoint outside Tofino for a week, for our 15th anniversary (we were married on the beach there). No other plans yet, because I'm hoping to have a new job soon, and aren't sure when I should book for.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I'll probably stay in AB all summer, the wife wants to go to Oregon, which may be alright - trying to steer her towards Montana instead.
    Norther Idaho and Washington hwy20 are both great areas. Hwy20 is a hell of a lot slower than the interstate, but there's tones of great camping along the way.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I have a hard time ever wanting to go and support tourism in a place that actively tries to damage the Alberta economy.

I concur, 3 years ago we did Tofino, but subsequent years have been Montana and Oregon. Silverwood is a nice pit stop if you do Oregon as well.

My Ride
    4Runner

A bit confused I thought reservations opened on January 14. Booked Two Jack Main Campground for August long on Jan 14, was todays reservation opening different?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Mostwanted View Post
    A bit confused I thought reservations opened on January 14. Booked Two Jack Main Campground for August long on Jan 14, was todays reservation opening different?
    That was for Parks Canada. This was the Alberta Parks System

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    That was for Parks Canada. This was the Alberta Parks System
    Yes, and really both alberta and BC provincial parks don't have a single "opening day" but a rolling window. In Alberta it's 90 days, for BC parks it's 120 days. Don't get those confused!

As to the whole "don't support BC" argument. I get it, I really do, although I have political arguments with the USA as well, so that doesn't leave much.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

^ weather is just so unpredictable in AB in the summer that you pretty much have to leave to guarantee nice weather.

I have already booked my two week stay in southern BC for this summer for my main trip, but the owner of the campground is from Calgary so that helps with the not wanting to support BC a little bit.

We are in the planning stages for a trip to Niagra Falls in July. The plan is to camp along the way, we have 2 weeks so I’m hoping to hit a few campgrounds along the way. We have never been past Saskatchewan so it should be a blast.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Going over or under lake superior? Under is faster and probably cheaper. But I haven't been out there in thirty years.

We are hoping to stay on the Canadian side as much as possible, and going over Lake Superior, still doing some research on campgrounds and points of interest. All I know at this time is that we are visiting friends in Winnipeg and Thunder Bay, but no idea where to go from there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Booked the July long weekend at Blanket Creek. Wanted a spot at Herald Provincial park, but the fucking Discovercamping website was clearly overloaded this morning and while it kept giving me errors, the few sites that were large enough to fit a truck and trailer got reserved out from under me. I had two computers on one desk logged in and refreshing constantly and I couldn't get the sites I wanted even right at the 7AM opening time.

Oh well, benefit to Blanket creek is that it's a shorter drive on that first day and a smaller / less popular park so it should be quieter. I like quiet. Really hoping to get porteau cove for the tuesday night after the long weekend, but currently not very hopeful. That's such a small campground that it's probably full to the tits forever.

That’s surprising about herald, I was there in 2015 and last year. In 2015, I had a shared site and the people we were sharing with only had a 2 person tent. Looked funny, since we were on a huge site. Last year, we didn’t have any issues booking, I thought it might have been because of the floods. It’s also too bad Margaret Falls is closed, used to take my kids there for picnics and to hang out.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I was trying to arrive on the Friday of the July long weekend, that doesn't help. Just checked again and in the whole campground at Herald, there's two sites available for Friday June 28th arrival out of 127 total sites. Both are too small for my trailer. That's OK, I will probably check it out on the way back.

Any idea if they plan to get that falls trail opened for this season? I can't find anything.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, we got the whole trip reserved. Total of 15 nights spread between Blanket Creek, Nairn Falls, Porteau Cove, Sasquatch and McDonald Creek. We wanted some time at Herald and Mabel Lake, but it didn't work for this trip, maybe next year.
    A couple of longer driving days, but lots of downtime too. Lots of areas I haven't been to recently, so that's lots to look forward to.
    Name:  Camping Trip road map.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  91.2 KB

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

That looks like an awesome trip you have planned Extraslow. We just bought a Winnebago mini 2451bhs, plan to do a lot of trips in the south Okanagan. Eventual goal is to setup the trailer to mostly dry camp, hopefully hitting up the more quiet campgrounds.

We haven't taken possession of the unit yet, but had the dealer install a slide topper and throw in an extra 12 volt battery.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

^Nice trailer!

And that does look like a great trip. I am lazy and like to park for most of my trip. lol

One day I will try something like that.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    And that does look like a great trip. I am lazy and like to park for most of my trip. lol
    I like to park too, we have a lot of non-travel days built in. Wanted the family to touch salt water this year.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast