Quantcast
Looking for a custom or MTM suit - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Looking for a custom or MTM suit

Default Looking for a custom or MTM suit

Hey All,

I need a custom or MTM suit, I am a big guy and I think it will be best. I have done some research and it's been hit and miss for places like Indochino/Huey Lam and even places like Holt and Harry Rosen. I did check out Nordstrom as my first stop but I am unsure what the heck to look for.

I don't have a budget in mind but would prefer to keep it under $1500 if possible, I don't really want to spend that much either because I really don't wear suits everyday so if I do have to use it again it would be for special occasions.

This is for my wedding so I would prefer it be better than normal but not crazy expensive custom either. I am just looking for some local experiences seems Indochino might be good here because they do the measurements? some say Harry is overpriced etc.. I just don't know how to break it down without some people giving me local experiences at these places.

Thanks!

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Indochino has a location at Chinook. Never tried them myself but heard of many people happy who used them for their wedding.
    I think a friend of mine is going to be using them in March so I'll know what the experience is like then.

My Ride
    FB6

I have 2 suits from indochino, one of them is my wedding suit. I think for the price it's good quality and the fit is better than anything off the rack for me personally. Their shirts however suck, I would not get shirts from them.

My 3 groomsman also got their suits from indochino and it worked out for the most part. Two of my groomsman needed their suits altered/partially remade so do leave time for that before your actual wedding day (they have a fit guarantee so they will alter it, remake it as needed for free). The final product(s) turned out great, I chose more of a suit than a tuxedo so I can wear it normally for other occasions too.

I suggest Harry Rosen, Henry Singer or O'Connors. MTM will be substantially better than Indochino. You'll be able to get something under $1,500 that is way better than the Indochino suit.

I tried Indochino for an everyday wear suit since they had a great deal on. They had to remake it twice, both times it turned out off. After substantial tailoring, I don't even wear it cause it still doesn't fit that great and fabric is not nice at all.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My recommendation is O Connors. Tell them you want MTM right off the bad so they can get the trying on off the rack BS out of the way early.

I have less issues with Harry Rosen being "overpriced" as their salesmen having their heads up their asses.

Indochino... You get what you pay for.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

You cannot beat Suits by Curtis Eliot. They have a shop in Calgary, I don't think it's as good as the Edmonton one. But none the less, great service and affordable suits all custom made. I paid 800$ for my 3 piece, they even did a nice rolled cuff like found on Tom Ford suits, and embroidered the inside with my wedding date and initials. Being that I'm so wide in the shoulders, nothing fits me right. These guys knew exactly what I needed, whether it was 2 button, double or single vents, de-constructed, etc, etc for the thing to fit me perfectly. I was really happy with it, I'll definitely be back again.

When I say custom, I don't mean hand made. They measure you up in store, you pick your fabrics and style types, etc. Then they have some shop laser cut everything in Asia somewhere, it gets sewn together and shipped back here. Takes a couple weeks. Definitely was better than any experience I've had with Henry Singer.

The recent reviews on these guys don't seem to be favorable, I'll still take a look however.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    You cannot beat Suits by Curtis Eliot. They have a shop in Calgary, I don't think it's as good as the Edmonton one. But none the less, great service and affordable suits all custom made. I paid 800$ for my 3 piece, they even did a nice rolled cuff like found on Tom Ford suits, and embroidered the inside with my wedding date and initials. Being that I'm so wide in the shoulders, nothing fits me right. These guys knew exactly what I needed, whether it was 2 button, double or single vents, de-constructed, etc, etc for the thing to fit me perfectly. I was really happy with it, I'll definitely be back again.

When I say custom, I don't mean hand made. They measure you up in store, you pick your fabrics and style types, etc. Then they have some shop laser cut everything in Asia somewhere, it gets sewn together and shipped back here. Takes a couple weeks. Definitely was better than any experience I've had with Henry Singer.

Quote Originally Posted by dollarbillz View Post
    The recent reviews on these guys don't seem to be favorable, I'll still take a look however.
    Yeah like I said, the Calgary store is not the better one by any means. I've only used the Edmonton store personally and they were fantastic.

Huey Lam gets my vote. Does a laser body scan taking ~750 measurements (important ones confirmed by hand) and you can touch/feel the material before you buy. Best service and quality I have found and prices are on par with Indochino. I had good luck with Indochino as well, and now that there is a store in Chinook you can see what you're getting beforehand.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-20-2019 at 10:34 AM.