Quantcast
Triathlon Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Triathlon Thread

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Just booked the campground at Wasa for the tri.. just gotta sign up for the tri and do it.

Chestermere lake seems like it could be an ok swimming site? Or sneak into the Elbow Valley one.

edit. Signed up for tri. This shit is gonna add up!
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 02-25-2019 at 11:18 AM.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just booked the campground at Wasa for the tri.. just gotta sign up for the tri and do it.

Chestermere lake seems like it could be an ok swimming site? Or sneak into the Elbow Valley one.
    Ya - Elbow Valley is a pretty nasty little lake. lol. Easiest is to make friends with someone in a community with Lake Access.
    I tend to swim with a tri club weekly only 2-3k, but if I'm out and about with the family on weekends (camping, etc.) I'll often sneak in some open water swimming wherever there is a lake (Sylvan, Two Jack, etc. )
    I will swim by myself, but I'll stick the shore line or buoy line on my own and do everything I can to increase visibility.

You'll find majority of your training will always still be done in a pool, but even getting a few sessions in in lakes will greatly help on race day not to mention getting use to the wetsuit, etc.

Cost wise - wait til you start adding a few $700-$1000 race entries, international travel, etc. Not a cheap sport!
    Wasa campground is fine, but does not have electricity if you're in a trailer. Just a heads up.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 02-25-2019 at 11:45 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Just in a little tent-trailer.. hardest thing will be getting out of bed in time!

My parents live in Lake Bonavista, and I still have my membership from when I still lived with them so I have that. Think that's where 3433 does their open water training too.

My Ride
    party car

Signed up to do the Wild Rose Tri this year- is there a good place to rent a road bike for the event?
    I like things with wheels.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Some bike shops have rentals - Bow Cycle does for sure. That said, it looks like Sports Rent has decent pricing on a Specialized Diverge ($40 for the day). I don't have experience with either for rentals.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

A bunch of guys from my office rented the Diverge last year for the chap tri from Sportsrent and it was fine

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by reiRei View Post
    Signed up to do the Wild Rose Tri this year- is there a good place to rent a road bike for the event?
    Could also try Nomad Gear rentals. They'll drop it off at your door.
    My wife will be racing also, and we'll be a there as a sponsor again this year (Eau Naturale Chamois Creme) as well as volunteering. Did course set up and helped with traffic control last year.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 03-05-2019 at 03:02 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Ok 12 weeks out as of Monday for Wasa. I’ve been given’r pretty hard lately (probably too much) with biking 5x a week, plus soccer plus swimming 2-3x, 1 day weight training, 1 day full rest, 1 day ski touring most weeks. Need to run more. I have added 30 watts to my ftp since January so the TT tuneup seems to be working

What should I actually be looking at for a typical training regime for someone who wants to be semi competitive? How many hours a week on each discipline? My other issue will be once it’s a bit warmer and I add bike commuting. If I just do those in Z1/z2 as base, I’m assuming I need to get a little more specific on longer rides? Do i need to cut back my zwifting?

I’ve looked at this one: http://livetotri.co.uk/wp-content/up...ed-Program.pdf and it seems challenging, and doesn’t leave me any room for skiing on weekends.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 03-07-2019 at 07:32 AM.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Find what fits in your lifestyle. You'll find the online plans are fairly generic. No doubt the commuting + soccer, etc. has already given you a good base.

Keep it simple.
    - As a basic formula try to do at least 2 sessions of each sport per week.
    - Never do the same sport 2 days in a row.
    - Start by slowly adding volume by about 10% per week up to race distance. (with maybe a slight recovery / dip in volume every 4th week). However given your base already you may be able to start closer to race distance volume and not risk injury.
    - Add in a long ride with a brick run on the weekend. (really key to get the legs used to running after being on a bike)

Back when I was racing Oly's and Sprints I used to just ignore the bike commuting and keep it as Z1/Z2 (yes, this means you will get passed on the pathway and my ego was not always prepared for that early on. lol)
    Guessing total training time won't go much over 8 hrs/wk.

When I got a coach I found I actually trained less than when I was self scheduling, but the sessions were more targeted.
    Keep the easy sessions easy...so the hard sessions can be very hard. This is a lot more difficult than it sounds...
    If you ever want a hand drafting a plan up, happy to help or grab a coffee. Cheers.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 03-07-2019 at 09:36 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

12 weeks to Wasa next monday....

Planning on doing the Garmin Lactate Threshold test tonight or tomorrow so i can get my HR zones better then my best estimate.

My week 1:

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  61.7 KB

Swims showing up twice cause Garmin is stupid. Bike's will be continuing the TT trainer on Zwift i think.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 03-13-2019 at 02:53 PM.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I like that you have variable intensity in the schedule. Trust me - keep the easy easy, and it will be much easier to make the hard workouts HARD. It will pay dividends in the long run though. It does take a lot of discipline however to be the guy on the pathway getting passed by everyone at times. Also like the focus on technique vs. speed, speed will come on its own and good to have solid fundamentals. Good work!
    12 weeks to IM Boulder for me. Yikes! Here's how the current schedule looks if anyone is curious.
    Name:  sched.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  69.3 KB

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Failed at the Garmin guided Lactate Threshold test. It wanted me to do 3 minutes at 190-201 HR BPM... i was well dead before that point.. will try it again when way fresher

My Ride
    Wankels!

What's your age? 190bpm for 3 minutes sounds terrifying. I've got my max HR set to 186bpm (age 35) and I can't imagine hitting max HR for 3 minutes.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    What's your age? 190bpm for 3 minutes sounds terrifying. I've got my max HR set to 186bpm (age 35) and I can't imagine hitting max HR for 3 minutes.
    30. The "calculation" says it should be 190.. but according to my watch i've hit 196 playing soccer (wonder if this is just a spike, but was wearing the strap) and 191 doing spin in September. I might drop it to 190 for the next test to just give me a chance.

Views: 451
Size:  25.5 KB

All from indoor soccer, which makes sense to me..

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

30. The "calculation" says it should be 190.. but according to my watch i've hit 196 playing soccer (wonder if this is just a spike, but was wearing the strap) and 191 doing spin in September. I might drop it to 190 for the next test to just give me a chance.

All from indoor soccer, which makes sense to me..
    Is this from a wrist sensor, or chest strap. DO NOT trust the wrist sensors...horrible. Great for overall daily monitoring, but not for activity.
    I ignore any reading I get from the wrist sensor for calculations as it gives a lot of false data.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 03-14-2019 at 02:57 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

All chest. Can’t play with watch on so this is all with HRM tri

My Ride
    '14 Taco

My training plan is calling for a 40 minute Z1 run today. According to Garmin, Z1 is 'recovery', which seems fine, but figured base was all about Z2?

Plan i'm on is calling for a ton of Z1 vs a ton of Z2..? Thoughts?

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

My training plan is calling for a 40 minute Z1 run today. According to Garmin, Z1 is 'recovery', which seems fine, but figured base was all about Z2?

Plan i'm on is calling for a ton of Z1 vs a ton of Z2..? Thoughts?
    My recovery runs are always listed as Z1/Z2. Start with an easy warm-up and keep it Z2 or under. All good. Don't overthink.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Last weeks training (plus 34 km of ski touring fri/sat)
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 411
Size:  18.9 KB

This weeks.. Struggling a bit to include 'fun' things such as skiing or soccer in the plan, but making due.
Views: 405
Size:  47.8 KB

Focus is to eat better this week. Last week was a bit of a bust. Would like to be down ~10 lbs by Wasa..but beer is delicious

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast