Quantcast
Triathlon Thread - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Triathlon Thread

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last weeks training (plus 34 km of ski touring fri/sat)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]85332

Focus is to eat better this week. Last week was a bit of a bust. Would like to be down ~10 lbs by Wasa..but beer is delicious
    My 2 bits on nutrition: (not suggesting this is you, just something to be aware of)
    I've seen many people attempt to cut calories while training. It is very difficult to train hard while in calorie deficit.
    Instead as you mentioned - try to eat better and cut out the crap. I look at it as needing to eat 'premium' (healthy) fuel during training cycles and pay attention to timing of carbs, protein, etc for optimal performance during and recovery afterwards.

With that being said - grab a beer later in the day after a hard bike session, or long run. Just to keep your sanity. Just don't make it a daily thing.

With 'fun' things - Don't let it control your life. As long as you're being fairly consistent, taking a day to going skiing or skipping a workout to play soccer isn't going to hurt your overall progress much. Do it guilt free vs. obsessing over checking off a workout with comfort in the fact that you've been consistent and you're still progressing towards your overall goal.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    My 2 bits on nutrition: (not suggesting this is you, just something to be aware of)
    I've seen many people attempt to cut calories while training. It is very difficult to train hard while in calorie deficit.
    Instead as you mentioned - try to eat better and cut out the crap. I look at it as needing to eat 'premium' (healthy) fuel during training cycles and pay attention to timing of carbs, protein, etc for optimal performance during and recovery afterwards.
    Suspect just by dropping shitty sugars from my diet i'll lose the 10. Or at least make the beer feel worth more

If you feel the need for shitty sugar, just do it on the ride.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I like that you have variable intensity in the schedule. Trust me - keep the easy easy, and it will be much easier to make the hard workouts HARD. It will pay dividends in the long run though. It does take a lot of discipline however to be the guy on the pathway getting passed by everyone at times. Also like the focus on technique vs. speed, speed will come on its own and good to have solid fundamentals. Good work!
    12 weeks to IM Boulder for me. Yikes! Here's how the current schedule looks if anyone is curious.
    Attachment 85202
    Side question. Do you or any of you guys train(swimming) with a Tshirt on for drag..?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Side question. Do you or any of you guys train(swimming) with a Tshirt on for drag..?
    nope. swimming is something like 90% technique anyway, so adding stuff to make you slower isn't going to improve your technique.. Probably make it worse

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    If you feel the need for shitty sugar, just do it on the ride.
    Agree: Here's a good read - https://triathlonworld.com/nutrition...thletes-146255
    I used to get concerned I was taking in so many gels, bars, sports drink.

Swim: Yes, mostly technique. A swim video analysis session is a great way to get you started. If looking at add muscular endurance paddles, etc are much better tools.
    However I've done time trials in basketball shorts only because I forgot my gear. lol.

Easy ~7hr recovery week for me this week, before moving into another big build.

Name:  recovery.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  28.3 KB
    Last edited by CLiVE; 03-25-2019 at 02:00 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

[QUOTE=CLiVE;4787247]
    Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    If you feel the need for shitty sugar, just do it on the ride.[/QUOTE

Agree: Here's a good read - https://triathlonworld.com/nutrition...thletes-146255
    I used to get concerned I was taking in so many gels, bars, sports drink. Basically it is metabolized quite quickly.
    I'm pretty much on a steady diet of sour watermelons and gummie worms on long rides.. sour watermelons powered me up the highwood pass last year after mega bonking..was impressed to see how quick it worked

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

[QUOTE=Brent.ff;4787248]

I'm pretty much on a steady diet of sour watermelons and gummie worms on long rides.. sour watermelons powered me up the highwood pass last year after mega bonking..was impressed to see how quick it worked
    I alternate between a gel and 1/2 powerbar every 40mins with an alarm to remind me on my watch. Drink gatorade every 15 minutes (with alarm) with the goal of a bottle an hour. Salt tablets on the hour.
    Gels with caffeine for the 2nd half of the ride only when I need a mental boost. Works for me, and has been my formula for my past 4 ironmans.

Another trick that works for me is dried pineapple chunks in a ziplock. Add some salt and shake it up.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 03-25-2019 at 02:09 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Signed up for the Chaparral Tri again this year, as work is sponsoring a bunch of us to do it.. Wish they would use the new 194 avenue bridge and get out of the neighborhood

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Signed up for the Chaparral Tri again this year, as work is sponsoring a bunch of us to do it.. Wish they would use the new 194 avenue bridge and get out of the neighborhood
    How's the training going? 9 weeks til Ironman for me. Already at race weight....

My Ride
    '14 Taco

How's the training going? 9 weeks til Ironman for me. Already at race weight....
    training is going well so far, weight loss is hard to come by as im pretty starving most days and not fighting it.. plus it is the season for beer after all!

My Ride
    Wankels!

What do you mean by "it is the season for beer after all"? I shouldn't be drinking beer in Summer, Fall, Winter AND Spring?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Haha that’s my main problem! Every day that ends in a Y

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Does anyone need a decent bike complete with shoes and plastic travel case? I have a salsa el gogo that has been collecting dust for a long ass time. Paid over $1500 for everything new. Will sell everything for $700 obo. Just want gone. Bike is for 5’10” male and shoes are 10. Used 2-3 times. Case is trico iron horse sport bike case, seems to retail for $420usd..
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 04-05-2019 at 04:07 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Wasa in the bag. PR's all around, PR power, PR 10k, PR (ish) swim. 5th in age group, unfortunately passed by the 3,4 place on the run (still gotta get faster on the run) after i nuked them on the swim.
    Happy with my performance, and training. Fell off the wagon a bit the last month with a vacation then working on a deck, so hoping to get back on the wagon here a bit. Managed to avoid cramping on the run this time, and felt like i had a bit more to give at the end, so hope to see another PR for next one.. Weather was great considering how crappy it was on friday, and how it took nearly all day on saturday to warm up. Wasa is a pretty great place early in the summer!

doing the okotoks tri in july, then chaparral!

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Glad to hear wasa went well. Good work!

Just got back from IM Boulder. Found a crack in my frame the thursday before the race. Brokencarbon.com did an amazing rush repair, and got the bike ready in time.
    Then, woke up in the morning with a migraine and aura, but got to the start line (which I barely remember) and got thru the 3.8k swim in my slowest time ever..1h19 ouch. Sat in transition for 8mins with my head down..which felt like an eternity and almost called it quits. Got on the bike and on the caffeinated gels....about 20k in my vision cleared, 50k the headache went away. 5h50 bike split for the 180km...yuck, and then anything I had left for the marathon. Not the race I had planned, but got thru it. There's dark moments in any race...just never thought they would start at the beginning of the race.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 06-13-2019 at 09:01 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Just got back from IM Boulder. Found a crack in my frame the thursday before the race. Brokencarbon.com did an amazing rush repair, and got the bike ready in time.
    Then, woke up in the morning with a migraine and aura, but got to the start line (which I barely remember) and got thru the 3.8k swim in my slowest time ever..1h19 ouch. Sat in transition for 8mins with my head down..which felt like an eternity and almost called it quits. Got on the bike and on the caffeinated gels....about 20k in my vision cleared, 50k the headache went away. 5h50 bike split for the 180km...yuck, and then anything I had left for the marathon. Not the race I had planned, but got thru it. There's dark moments in any race...just never thought they would start at the beginning of the race.
    Good work on persevering, sounds kind of like hell.. Impressed you stuck it out after sitting in transition for 8 minutes!

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Good work on persevering, sounds kind of like hell.. Impressed you stuck it out after sitting in transition for 8 minutes!
    Well - we all train like hell, but you never know what the body is going to give you on race day. Just have to deal with it.
    Regroup, and 6 wks til the next Ironman. Have a new bike to build before then....
    Last edited by CLiVE; 06-13-2019 at 10:40 AM.

My Ride
    rally pig

rush repair meaning you had to send your frame to Colorado overnight?

you triathlon people are hardcore.. was talking to a consultant and asked him if he was going to ride back home this afternoon. he said no, it's too hot and he'll just run

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    rush repair meaning you had to send your frame to Colorado overnight?

you triathlon people are hardcore.. was talking to a consultant and asked him if he was going to ride back home this afternoon. he said no, it's too hot and he'll just run
    I was racing in Colorado - so immediately contacted them. They started the repair Thursday night, and were able to meet the minimum curing time and raced on the bike on Sunday morning without issues.

I prefer to run to / from work. Less gear to worry about vs. riding. 21km each way.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast