Quantcast
my next bike? a Simple 27.5+ hardtail or a FS Trail bike? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: my next bike? a Simple 27.5+ hardtail or a FS Trail bike?

Default my next bike? a Simple 27.5+ hardtail or a FS Trail bike?

Help me out boys...

My old Gary Fisher 29er is running a Solo Air 1 100mm fork, and though geometry is relatively modern for an XC specific bike it just isn't slack enough for me to be comfortable with some downhill sections and have to be cautious on my brakes and line.

just a quick spec on the bike build: old G2 29er Mamba with 2.25 tires, dropper post, 100MM front fork and I recently detonated my BB and crank so I just did a 1x11 GX upgrade. I did put a 50mm stem and 740 bars on to keep it more modern

I think that maybe I could upgrade the front fork but I'm not thinking its worth while... nor do I want to raise the BB height too much more

So... I think I need a trail bike - something long, slack, but can still climb.

1. Do trail bikes with 64-65 deg of head angles actually climb as well as XC bikes with 68/69 like what people tell me?
    2. 27.5 Plus - necessary for anything other than a hard tail? Will a 27.5 Plus really have that much more contact patch than say my 29er? (i.e. a 27.5 x 2.8 vs 29 x 2.3)
    3. Do I want a rear suspension anymore, and which link is best?

TBH - I love simplicity, climbing and a confidant downhill... so I'm still leaning towards a hardtail. Problem is, the only hardtails that are half decently spec'd are plus bikes and hardcore 29er XC bikes

"IF" a plus tire and "IF" slack head angle (tall fork) on a hard tail, can do all of the above... I am so game.

I've done some research, but I'm thinking the following, but giving a preference to:
    Chromag Rootdown build
    Marin Pine 1
    Specialized Fuze
    Kona Honzo CroMo
    Santa Cruze Chameleon
    Trek Roscoe 8 (or higher)

I know that Cannondale and Giant have their offerings, but they seemed compromised compared...

Ideally I'd love to have higher end draintrain, hubs, dropper, bars, stem, saddle... but if anything, being a hardtail... I would love a 150-160 mm travel front fork

Anyways, love to hear what your opinions are and suggestions?
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 07-03-2019 at 02:20 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Yes, the new 29ers with long travel and slack geometry work really well.

1) IMO the FS XC bikes climb better than anything else, and the rear suspension keeps your tire in better contact with the ground

2) 27.5 vs 29 is personal preference IMO. I don't like 29's lots of people do. They are much harder to climb with unless your tall, at least in my experience. I think 27.5 is the sweet spot but again, YMMV.

3) I would stay with rear suspension. Geometry like Giant's Maestro (and all the copies) are as good as they come, they don't suck power from your pedaling anymore so you keep maximum efficiency and work well when braking. You can just lock up the rear shock if you ever really want a hard tail haha.

I don't know what compromises you're talking about but something from Giant like the Trance line is tough to beat for value and they're outstanding bikes. They have what you want in terms of suspension travel and climbing ability as well as a variety of wheel/component options.

A lot of this is personal preference as well, just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1) IMO the FS XC bikes climb better than anything else, and the rear suspension keeps your tire in better contact with the ground

2) 27.5 vs 29 is personal preference IMO. I don't like 29's lots of people do. They are much harder to climb with unless your tall, at least in my experience. I think 27.5 is the sweet spot but again, YMMV.

3) I would stay with rear suspension. Geometry like Giant's Maestro (and all the copies) are as good as they come, they don't suck power from your pedaling anymore so you keep maximum efficiency and work well when braking. You can just lock up the rear shock if you ever really want a hard tail haha.

I don't know what compromises you're talking about but something from Giant like the Trance line is tough to beat for value and they're outstanding bikes. They have what you want in terms of suspension travel and climbing ability as well as a variety of wheel/component options.

A lot of this is personal preference as well, just my $0.02.
    Thanks for the info! I am 6' and I actually really love how the niner's roll... and I agree, I liked riding the 27.5 trances when I have, and I think its a very good all mountain bike. (better than the Bronson)

what I meant by compromise is high end 27.5+ hardtails

Are + sizes required at all for full suspension bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    Thanks for the info! I am 6' and I actually really love how the niner's roll... and I agree, I liked riding the 27.5 trances when I have, and I think its a very good all mountain bike. (better than the Bronson)

what I meant by compromise is high end 27.5+ hardtails

Are + sizes required at all for full suspension bikes?
    If you mean wheel size that is still personal preference and I think 27.5" is still the sweet spot regardless of if it's FS or not. I am shorter than you though so you might still want the 29" if you like it already. The 29" roll really well once you get them going, but I personally don't like them for tight trails or any kind of climbing, so I wouldn't buy one if it was my only bike. You will typically see less suspension travel on the 29's though, for example with the Trance, you lose 20mm of suspension travel going with 29" wheels. I'd rather have the extra travel and 27.5" wheels but again I am not a fan of the 29" wheels so others may feel differently.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

What size bike are you looking at?
    I might be selling my Specilized 29'er.
    I bought it in the blue light sale a few years back. Ive only used it maximum 9 times. Cant ride due to long term sickness.

My Ride
    Wankels!

What frame size / model?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Disclaimer: I didnt mean to hijack the thread.

Its a Specialized Norco Charger. Frame is '19. Red. 2014 Model. I only used it on one trail, Canmore to Baniff and a few times around Fishcreek. I have a long term sickness and Ive been too sick to ride. Im just considering at the moment, probrably think about it over the weekend. Im reluctant as I love cycling. Probably best to go to a better home.

But If I do let it go. It will be everything inlcuded. DLock, cable, and heavy bike chain plus the bike rack itself.
    Picture of it on this thread.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/403...ight=bike+rack

The link should be the Bike Build and maintenance thread. Page 16

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

I just picked up a new Giant Trance 2 FS. I was thinking between a 27.5 or 29er but decided to go with the Trance 2 27.5 based on the overall value it had and how nice it was to ride. Now as for a hardtail or a full suspension, guess it would depend on what kind of riding you do and how much you want to to spend. I've never had a FS bike before and only had an old 15yr+ front suspension K2 bike so wanted to get back into it with going to a FS setup.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Disclaimer: I didnt mean to hijack the thread.

Its a Specialized Norco Charger. Frame is '19. Red. 2014 Model. I only used it on one trail, Canmore to Baniff and a few times around Fishcreek. I have a long term sickness and Ive been too sick to ride. Im just considering at the moment, probrably think about it over the weekend. Im reluctant as I love cycling. Probably best to go to a better home.

But If I do let it go. It will be everything inlcuded. DLock, cable, and heavy bike chain plus the bike rack itself.
    Picture of it on this thread.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/403...ight=bike+rack

The link should be the Bike Build and maintenance thread. Page 16
    hum... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whUlIoixJ7s

If you're Blake Samson you can kick ass at both a DH and XC competition on a trail hardtail... if you're Blake.

Tony I think your bike is quite similar to mine, and am looking really for something a bit more hardcore.

A friend of mine has this bike: GT Pantera Elite (https://www.sportchek.ca/product/gt-...332486025.html) and he picked it up for $978 on sale last year, put new handlebars/stem and a dropper and new 3 inch rubber... its a pretty banging bike and even at $1278 is still a stellar price.

I'm going to borrow it next week for a few days and see how I like it... If I find the width is just too much in-efficient then I'll likely go for a Trail FS with a 140/130 travel, and will try to shy away from any suspension from Suntour

I think at min, I'd want a GX 1x or XT 1x groupset