Quantcast
Triathlon Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Triathlon Thread

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Default Triathlon Thread

Since I spelt triathlon wrong (rookie season, forgive me), figured I’d start this one for this year.

Thinking about the Wasa Tri, the Okotoks tri and the invermere one for this year, mostly cause open water swimming is my jam! Maybe do the airdrie one just to get the legs moving. Looks like they cancelled the MEC one this year

Is this wetsuit garbage?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-hydron-wetsuit/

I know @CLiVE is one of them, any other tri folks?
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 02-19-2019 at 09:42 PM.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Sounds like a good season you have planned out. I’ll likely be volunteering at most of those. Fun races!

That wetsuit would do the trick....but I notice it is a combination of 2mm and 3mm. You may want to look for a 5mm suit as the added buoyancy will help most swimmers. The slightly higher end suits will have a combination of thicknesses to give buoyancy in some places and flexibility in others (like arms and shoulders).

My season is IM Boulder, IM Canada, and IM MT Tremblant so far...
    Last edited by CLiVE; 02-20-2019 at 12:59 AM.

I did the red deer sprint last June. Plan to do it again this year. Not sure if I will expand to more or not but I enjoyed doing the last one!

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did the red deer sprint last June. Plan to do it again this year. Not sure if I will expand to more or not but I enjoyed doing the last one!
    How'd you like the pool swim? That kinda drives me a bit nut!

I'm not a very strong swimmer by any means, did the 750 m in about 22 mins, so I didn't mind it. I could see if you are a strong swimmer how it could be an issue for you. Since the people in the lane with you have similar swim times I didn't run into anyone and think I only needed to pass 2 times towards the end.

Having the mitchener hill at the end of the bike and in the run was pretty killer for me though!

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Didnt mind pool swimming until i started playing outdoor more. Open water swimming is pretty fun.. wish i had access to a local lake

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Didnt mind pool swimming until i started playing outdoor more. Open water swimming is pretty fun.. wish i had access to a local lake
    Pool tri's - I can't stand them. You end up waiting around for hours to start if you're a faster swimmer. I'll send you a PM about lake swimming options.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

How long do you have to swim in a triathlon, I reckon I could pull my weight in the running and cycling but swimming properly I suck at. Ive been interested in these triathlons, is there any beginner version ?

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    How long do you have to swim in a triathlon, I reckon I could pull my weight in the running and cycling but swimming properly I suck at. Ive been interested in these triathlons, is there any beginner version ?
    There are different distances.
    There are several beginner "Try-a-tri" races which are a good place to start. Most try-a-tris are pool swims, ~10k bike, ~2.5km run.

Try-a-tri usually 350 - 500m swim. 10k bike, ~2.5k run.
    Sprint 750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run.
    Olympic 1500m / 40k / 10k
    Half Iron 1900m / 90k / 21k
    Iron/Full 3800m / 180k / 42k

Check out the race schedules on the Triathlon Alberta website. https://www.triathlonalberta.ca/events

My wife could not swim at all in September 3 years ago. By May the the following year she did her first sprint. Lots of good clubs / classes out there. Let me know if you need some resources for swim training.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 02-20-2019 at 11:23 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

The okotoks and chapparal try-a-tri would be up your alley

I'll mention giving a sprinT a try. I couldn't swim 750 m in like 45 minutes in January last year and by June I was able to do it in 22 mins (not a crazy good time or anything but decent) with probably what most would call minimal swimming training haha. I had a hard time getting motivated to get in the pool.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Ive pitched the chapparel one to my wife, we both did a spartan sprint last year and we are keen to do more adventure type events so hopefully she would be keen with this type of activity too. How warm is that lake in mid summer?

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I'll mention giving a sprinT a try. I couldn't swim 750 m in like 45 minutes in January last year and by June I was able to do it in 22 mins (not a crazy good time or anything but decent) with probably what most would call minimal swimming training haha. I had a hard time getting motivated to get in the pool.
    You'd be fine for a sprint. My first sprint I was about ~20mins. Now my 750 is around the 11 min mark.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Ive pitched the chapparel one to my wife, we both did a spartan sprint last year and we are keen to do more adventure type events so hopefully she would be keen with this type of activity too. How warm is that lake in mid summer?
    Super warm, i was swimming in it and Mackenzie with no wetsuit in july and august last year no problem. According to my watch Mackenzie was ~22 to 23 degrees. Only slightly cold when it gets windy and the bottom layer gets mixed in. I did the tri with a wetsuit as it makes you considerably faster

I learned how to swim last year as an adult and was able to do a sprint and an Olympic distance. My swim times are pretty bad (20+ mins in sprint, 40+ in Oly), but I make up for it on the bike and run. Also makes the bike leg fun when you pass 200 people in 40km.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    I learned how to swim last year as an adult and was able to do a sprint and an Olympic distance. My swim times are pretty bad (20+ mins in sprint, 40+ in Oly), but I make up for it on the bike and run. Also makes the bike leg fun when you pass 200 people in 40km.
    Which did you end up doing? I know you were signed up for the MEC Duathlon

I did a Sprint distance in Austin and Wasa Olympic distance.
    I can honestly say though the only parts of them I enjoyed were the bike legs, so I think I'll just stick with biking going forward. Could also be that I suck at the other two.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

I’m thinking of doing some open water training this year, but don’t know where to look. I’ve been doing the critical speed brick sessions since November, 5 hours last Sunday was a killer.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

3433 does some open water stuff, but not sure they start up until later this year. Did a couple bike sessions with them and enjoyed it.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    3433 does some open water stuff, but not sure they start up until later this year. Did a couple bike sessions with them and enjoyed it.

Lake access in the city sucks. Like was said - easiest is to join a tri club. Lynx, No Limits, Vitalize all have open water swim sessions a few times per week.
    The only other option close by is Ghost Lake; but it is very cold and lots of boat traffic. Swim parallel near the shore and never by yourself. Suggest a "swim-buddy buoy" for visibility also.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast