Quantcast
Out of Province | Vehicle Purchase Question | Driving it home - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Out of Province | Vehicle Purchase Question | Driving it home

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Default Out of Province | Vehicle Purchase Question | Driving it home

Is it is legally possible to purchase a car from Ontario or Quebec (+15 yrs old), and drive it home through the USA, before returning back to Alberta/Canada ?

The process I'm familiar with, is purchasing an in-transit sticker, and driving it straight home through Canada. (boring!)

Edit: this thread has a poster travelling into the USA, with their Alberta In-Transit sticker.
    https://ama.ab.ca/knowledge-base/art...transit-permit

AMA says not allowed outside of Canada. https://ama.ab.ca/knowledge-base/art...transit-permit
    Last edited by cam_wmh; 02-20-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    *The First*

I don't have much to offer, but I do know that you're obligated to "go directly to your destination" or words to that effect. So you can't technically take a really roundabout route. One could also argue that you can't stop for gas or sleep or eat or get lost so the system seems a bit flawed and I doubt a court would really support a charge for violating this.
    But it's something to consider.
    Top tip - make a photocopy of the sticker and also tape one on your back window. The officer who pulled me over advised me to do that during a long trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't have much to offer, but I do know that you're obligated to "go directly to your destination" or words to that effect. So you can't technically take a really roundabout route. One could also argue that you can't stop for gas or sleep or eat or get lost so the system seems a bit flawed and I doubt a court would really support a charge for violating this.
    But it's something to consider.
    Top tip - make a photocopy of the sticker and also tape one on your back window. The officer who pulled me over advised me to do that during a long trip.
    Ironically it is a shorter route to go through the states.

I guess if you're close to the border you can just try it. If US denies you just go through Canada. If US lets you in, you're gold. Don't think Canada will prevent you from re-entering if all your documents are in order.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't know of the legalities, but i do know I would want to make my life as simple as possible, so if it were me, I'd skip the international border crossings.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Ironically it is a shorter route to go through the states.

I guess if you're close to the border you can just try it. If US denies you just go through Canada. If US lets you in, you're gold. Don't think Canada will prevent you from re-entering if all your documents are in order.
    Agree. It's just hard enough convincing police in BC that this shitty looking piece of paper counts for something. I honestly would not risk it in 'Muhrca.

Agree. It's just hard enough convincing police in BC that this shitty looking piece of paper counts for something. I honestly would not risk it in 'Muhrca.
    I got pulled over with no license at all. Since Alberta can't figure out how to give you a license without a 2 week wait period. My wallet got stolen the day before my trip. The cop was like "Is this what they give you for a license in Canada?" I was trying to explain our fucktarded system to him. He just looked at my passport to confirm who I was, and sent me on my way.

short answer - no. You have to go through Canada. In-transit permits are not valid outside of the canadian border.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I got pulled over with no license at all. Since Alberta can't figure out how to give you a license without a 2 week wait period. My wallet got stolen the day before my trip. The cop was like "Is this what they give you for a license in Canada?" I was trying to explain our fucktarded system to him. He just looked at my passport to confirm who I was, and sent me on my way.
    The cop is an idiot. Since between 2010 until now, 96% of US states have adopted the same process. There are only a couple left that issue immediately and they are all in the midst of switching over with estimated completion dates of 2021.

My Ride
    V8s

Actually travelling through the states with a transit permit isn't risky. I've travelled through a bunch of states with a transit permit and theirs are even shittier than ours. One I got from Nevada was a piece of paper with my "license plate" number written on it in a sharpie.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Actually travelling through the states with a transit permit isn't risky. I've travelled through a bunch of states with a transit permit and theirs are even shittier than ours. One I got from Nevada was a piece of paper with my "license plate" number written on it in a sharpie.
    That is an American car though. When I brought a car back from michigan I had zero plate or paper at all. This allowed me to successfully run all the tolls in chicago.

I am interested as well as I have been seeing what is available CPO wise and ON to here would be much further staying in canada.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I bought one of the M3's in Toronto and drove home through the States. Got an ON transit permit, keep all paperwork with you when crossing, travel through the US, then grab an AB transit permit once you get back.

My Ride
    *The First*

I feel like many of these answers are equivalent to "I have shop-lifted once or twice and it turned out fine so go for it!"

@dannie
    Any backup in writing that it's technically invalid?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    That sounds like the Northern States ..... here is what happens in Wisconsin:Name:  75655_492395745803_1348970_n.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  45.4 KB

I feel like many of these answers are equivalent to "I have shop-lifted once or twice and it turned out fine so go for it!"

@dannie
    OLVCR refers to only Canadian jurisdictions and reciprocity. There is no reciprocity agreement with the USA as far as permitting or allowance of transit docs.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

@dannie
    No, my answer is equivalent to I've researched it, then completed the journey, then shared the information. Please, tell me about your experience.
    The border guys only asked for passports - although I did have the Bill of Sale, proof of insurance etc ready. If you are really worried, get an in transit permit from the State you are crossing into - I didn't.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    No, my answer is equivalent to I've researched it, then completed the journey, then shared the information. Please, tell me about your experience.
    The border guys only asked for passports - although I did have the Bill of Sale, proof of insurance etc ready. If you are really worried, get an in transit permit from the State you are crossing into - I didn't.
    My only experience was the persistent hassle of being pulled over between Vancouver and here. Within Canada and neighboring province.
    I just don't consider a border guard to be an expert on registration and insurance validation from a foreign country. Maybe I'm wrong. And, there's another member saying "it's completely invalid".
    So let's weigh the risks. Assuming everything in your favor and it's fully valid but you get a State Trooper who is not convinced that the paper sticker means shit - Best, best case scenario your car is impounded for at least a day in a foreign country and you're charged with some pretty shitty violations while you scramble to get someone from Alberta Transport (or whatever they're called) to connect with that police detachment and clarify. Sweet! Just what everyone wants on a long journey!
    More realistically, that scenario results in you finding a way home from ______ in a foreign country and getting to return months later for a court date to successfully get your car back and beat however many charges. Sweeter!
    And that's if you're right.
    Let's not even think about if you're wrong.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    Is it is legally possible to purchase a car from Ontario or Quebec (+15 yrs old), and drive it home through the USA, before returning back to Alberta/Canada ?

The process I'm familiar with, is purchasing an in-transit sticker, and driving it straight home through Canada. (boring!)

Edit: this thread has a poster travelling into the USA, with their Alberta In-Transit sticker.
    https://ama.ab.ca/knowledge-base/art...transit-permit

AMA says not allowed outside of Canada. https://ama.ab.ca/knowledge-base/art...transit-permit
    Uh, so here is a question for you... why not just register it, don't you have 30 days to get a OPP? Or you can also keep their plate. I actually asked a cop about this a while ago (looooooooong story) but as far as I am aware and as he explained to me, registration and insurance don't have to be to the same person. That's what he told me.

Additionally, you could just do the "14 days to change registration" documents if that is allowed in other provinces. I'd have a written, signed, probably notarized letter when crossing the border though in case they questioned you stating the car was sold to you and you own it and you aren't importing it.

And finally, end of the day, registration is a teenie tiny ticket. Insurance is the big one. I say f'it and go for it, not often you get to cruise through the US, especially if its a fun car.

Understand though, Wisconsin, Montana, North Dakota are all boring as FUCK to drive through, might as well make the trip as short as possible.

Skirting around the lakes directly on top of them is super awesome fun, and despite what google maps says, you'll make the same time (I did towing a 14k lb trailer) vs going the waaaaayyy up high H1 route.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    ...but as far as I am aware and as he explained to me, registration and insurance don't have to be to the same person. That's what he told me.
    I looked into insuring someone elses vehicle once, and what I was told is that you are not permitted by the insurance companies to buy insurance on a vehicle you do not own.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I looked into insuring someone elses vehicle once, and what I was told is that you are not permitted by the insurance companies to buy insurance on a vehicle you do not own.
    You not only can, you must (in this silly province).
    You literally have to do it every time you purchase a vehicle. The purchase is not technically complete until it is registered and you cannot register it unless it has insurance on it - meaning you buy insurance for a car you don't technically own.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You not only can, you must (in this silly province).
    You literally have to do it every time you purchase a vehicle. The purchase is not technically complete until it is registered and you cannot register it unless it has insurance on it - meaning you buy insurance for a car you don't technically own.
    Okay, well, I feel like that specific limited circumstance would be well understood and permitted. That's clearly not what I meant.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yes, but as I said, for up to 14 days it is perfectly valid reason.

Is it wise? I don't know, Beyond is full of people who are scared to cross the god damn road without being in a safety bubble, so for Beyonders maybe not.

For me? Yes I would, especially if I had a letter stating I had purchased the vehicle. I don't think the insurance company would have grounds to deny your coverage. Maybe they'd drop you after.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast