Quantcast
How much do you pull your weight around the house? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: How much do you do around the house?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • I run the household/cook/clean/do it all

32 28.57%
  • I help with the kids and share responsibilities with my SO

58 51.79%
  • I could help more but dont do much

14 12.50%
  • My SO does it all.

8 7.14%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you pull your weight around the house?

My Ride
    V8s

We subscribe to the classic blue/pink job breakdown. She stays at home with our kid (and will be for the next few years at least, as she left her job before kid #1), and takes care of all the dishes/laundry/cleaning. She does over half the cooking, but I usally help out with dinner in some way or another. I do all the yard work, etc, and any DIY maintenance stuff around the house.

We both come from families that had stay at home moms growing up, and the moms did all the daily housework while dads worked their sacks off (not to imply that homemaking isn't a lot of work, because it can be), and we're happy living our life the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am a full-time house-husband. I do it all. She funds everything by working.
    This man has it figured out. Kept house bitch, living the dream. My buddy is likely to end up the same way, his wife is a surgeon. Just started her first job after 8 years of school, and 5 years of residency and fellowship. He funded her school, so time for him to relax soon when Mama is bringing home the bacon.

My Ride
    This and that.

Oh man this is a sensitive topic at my place. I am somewhere between the last two options. Wife really does everything and usually without much complaint but every now and then will have a blow up. Cleaning, cooking, laundry etc is all her. I deal with stuff related to vehicles, financials etc but that's pretty much it. It's really not fair because she works full time but I am so set in my ways. I really do need to help around more.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 02-20-2019 at 01:33 PM.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

We're pretty equitable around the house - cooking is definitely 50/50 as we alternate nights and whoever didn't cook cleans the dishes. Laundry is split pretty evenly as we each wash our own clothes. She does more of the cleaning, while I do more of the handyman stuff (auto service, house maintenance and improvements, etc.) and handle the financials. Works well for us, no kids to complicate things.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This man has it figured out. Kept house bitch, living the dream. My buddy is likely to end up the same way, his wife is a surgeon. Just started her first job after 8 years of school, and 5 years of residency and fellowship. He funded her school, so time for him to relax soon when Mama is bringing home the bacon.
    I had a friend who did this (no home though). He helped support her through her studies etc. As soon as she finished her education and got a top paying job. She dumped his ass.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I had a friend who did this (no home though). He helped support her through her studies etc. As soon as she finished her education and got a top paying job. She dumped his ass.
    What a cunt lol

My Ride
    rally pig

pre baby it was fairly 50/50 for us where we would take turns on cleaning and cooking. she would do the laundry and i do the handyman stuff.

now with a toddler though, i tend to do most chores, even had to learn how to do laundry but beats taking care of a baby 24/7
    im also more organized and prefer to be in control so i'll clean the house if dirty or cook what i want. occasionally my wife will clean the house or cook though when she has time.

My Ride
    Highlander

My husband does most of the cooking (I'm a terrible cook), but we share household chores pretty equally. I do most of the stuff with the kids because I work at home so I'm around when they get home from school, getting them to activities and stuff, but he's otherwise a pretty hands on dad. I'd say we're overall pretty 50/50 in our house though, we just have different things that are 'our jobs' based on personal preference or abilities.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

My wife is a farm girl. She handles most everything inside the house, I handle everything outside the house. My wife had a successful career but put it on hold for the kids. We've got three now under 5 so she is a top notch mom. I could never switch roles with her. Her job is much harder.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Definitely not the first doctor to get helped through school and dump someone because they're also not a doctor. Hell I'm surprised she waited until after med school and not during. Have seen all sorts go through Med and it's interesting to see how personalities drastically change while others remain relatively similar before and after.

----

Back to the topic at hand, do you guys find it easier to assign tasks rather than...for example, sometimes I do laundry and she cleans the bathroom, and then switch?
    Last edited by msommers; 02-20-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Duties are split more or less equally. She cooks and I clean. We share laundry and share kid duties. I do vehicles and outdoor maintenance. Just once I wish she’d put her bottles in the recycling bin though :P
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    We subscribe to the classic blue/pink job breakdown. She stays at home with our kid (and will be for the next few years at least, as she left her job before kid #1), and takes care of all the dishes/laundry/cleaning. She does over half the cooking, but I usally help out with dinner in some way or another. I do all the yard work, etc, and any DIY maintenance stuff around the house.

We both come from families that had stay at home moms growing up, and the moms did all the daily housework while dads worked their sacks off (not to imply that homemaking isn't a lot of work, because it can be), and we're happy living our life the same way.
    This is how it was for us while the kids were growing up. Wife stayed home so she handled most of the house cleaning, washing, cooking etc while I would help out with cooking the odd evening and sometimes on weekends. I never did dishes or any real housecleaning other than helping out if she was sick or something.

Oddly though, now that both kids are grown and out of the house (for the most part. Daughter comes home from college periodically) I do way more around the house than before they left. I cook often and tidy up and do dishes more than ever. Not because I need to, but it took me quite a while to grow out of the expectation of the wife handling those duties. Now I actually enjoy contributing around the house more. I feel bad I didn't clue in to this shit earlier in life and that my lovely bride had to make up for my shortfalls. I can't get that time back but I am trying to make up for it more nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    It's the best option tho lol why have 1 main when you can have 5 sides?
    Check the menu it's cheaper to get one main.

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Bahahaha Nicely done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Fairly equal in our house. My wife does all the cooking/shopping/kids stuff. I do laundry/yard/car/finance stuff. Cleaners do the dirty work and kids have some chores.

We both work full time and similar hours and 98% of the time everyone is happy.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I work from home and she's a stay-at-home mom, so it's nice to have the flexibility to tag-in if needed throughout the day. I would say things are pretty evenly split as far as total workload in our house, but there is a definite division of duties.

I do 80-90% of the cooking. I enjoy it and am honestly better at it

She does about 80% of the laundry. I can put a load of laundry through, but refuse to fold and put away, so that's where the laundry duties get skewed in her favour.

Dishes and dishwasher unloading are about 50/50... as are packing lunches and getting the kids ready for school in the morning.

I (think I) tend to do more of the random tidying, like picking up that errant sock, but she deals with the major crap like getting the kids to clean up their toys etc.

From drop off to the end of the school day, it's 99% her. I tag-in for at least one of the evening activities for the kids, we share bedtime duties and that's about it for a typical day.

Frankly, our life is utter chaos (4 kids, 3 of which are 4 and under) and finding little efficiencies that free up some time make an enormous difference... Things like scheduling activities properly, grocery pick ups, etc. all help keep the sanity. We're fortunate that we're also able to pay for some help to do the heavy lifting... Cleaners and outside maintenance like snow and lawn care.

I actually enjoy a lot of the house work, mostly because I am so anal about everything. I don't mind doing laundry either but we do our own. She does most of the cooking and "obvious" cleaning - by that I mean vacuuming, floors, bathrooms, etc. I do all of the less obvious cleaning, such as baseboards/mouldings, cooktops, ceilings, cobwebs in storage room, dismantling the dishwasher to clean out all the build-up junk, etc. I do all upkeep/repairs/maintenance/installations. I also enjoy shoveling snow and yard work (to a point haha). I load the dishwasher now, to avoid dumping entire meals, seeds, rinds, dairy products, etc. in there. She usually empties the dishwasher. She buys most of the groceries, I buy most of the household goods (detergents, paper towel, dishwasher pods, etc.) Fully separate finances works for us and I think it ends up being surprisingly even.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I think women just like to bitch when they're in a sewing circle.
    They don't call it a "Stitch and Bitch" for nothing.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

We both work full time. I do 95% of all the house work (make coffee, trash, recycling, lawn care/shovel, laundry, vacuum, wash/gas car, cleaning bathrooms/kitchens, dishes, maintenance, pay bills, feed and groom the dog, let the dog out, etc). She cooks (although we only eat at home 10% of the time) and buy groceries..

Mostly because I enjoy doing it and I'm faster/better at it. Also because she sleeps early (~10-1030pm) and I sleep late (1am+), so I like to do these stuff from 11pm - 1am.

Our first born is due anytime now, so we will see how this will change....

My Ride
    NC1

Hope he was smashing it good lol I'm sure there are a lot of dudes out there with similar stories haha

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Nicely done rupee
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast