Quantcast
Photo Radar going bye bye in Alberta?? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Radar going bye bye in Alberta??

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    exactly, i am all for photo radar, its just a tax on the stupid, you can see those things from a mile away
    I agree with this. At least in the context we see it, where the cars are easy to spot. I am all for photo radar as it exists in Calgary, I'd be pissed if this revenue had to be generated through more property tax hikes. I haven't gotten a photo radar ticket in years.

I'd obviously rather no photo radar at all, but it depends where they will go to get the money instead. In Calgary anyway (sounds like Edmonton puts in way more effort), the Photo Radar is so, so, painfully obvious that nobody should be getting more than 1 ticket before never getting one again. Sometimes they even have their 4-way flashers on ffs. They use the exact same 3-4 cars and 99% of the time don't even bother to hide them. If you are driving through an area where you think they can hide them, just drive the limit through that area and speed up afterwards when the coast is clear. There are also many roads where you will never see them because there is nowhere to park, and don't even have to worry about it, such as long stretches of Crowchild.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone know if Edmonton cops keep the money or if it goes to city general revenue like Calgary?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Comparing Edmonton to Calgary, I personally did not notice an increase in photo radar. Ironically, I think I see more PR in Calgary than I ever did while living in Edmonton the last 3 years.

Most PR in Calgary is obvious, but some are still pretty sneaky hiding behind giant signs or buildings...for safety.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

90 millions ... big $$ !!

I am ok with photo radar, just for it few times a year, won't affect insurance ... If they cut photo radar, probably more cops hiding here and there to make $$ from "Actual ticket" anyway ...
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Anyone know if Edmonton cops keep the money or if it goes to city general revenue like Calgary?
    The article touched on this, it says the revenue is split between the Province and the Municipality. I don't know if Edmonton has a specific use for it's half? I'd assume it just goes to general revenues.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Comparing Edmonton to Calgary, I personally did not notice an increase in photo radar. Ironically, I think I see more PR in Calgary than I ever did while living in Edmonton the last 3 years.

Most PR in Calgary is obvious, but some are still pretty sneaky hiding behind giant signs or buildings...for safety.
    If anybody wants to see how fucked up Edmontons PR is, just join the Edmonton Area Radar Sightings page on facebook for a day, just to scroll through and see the pictures of these hiding spots. They hide them on a lot of overpasses where you cannot see them in advance. On the overpasses where you can see them, they started disguising the trucks as construction vehicles. Buggy whips, orange strobes, etc. There is 2 spots on the Whytemud where they pull it up a hill into the trees.

It is beyond a money making scam in Edmonton, it's practically extortion.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    According to the City of Edmonton, the money does NOT go to general revenue.. It goes to Traffic safety programs...

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...forcement.aspx

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I agree with this. At least in the context we see it, where the cars are easy to spot. I am all for photo radar as it exists in Calgary, I'd be pissed if this revenue had to be generated through more property tax hikes. I haven't gotten a photo radar ticket in years.

My Ride
    B8 S4

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
    So in Calgary, we spent 2.7M hours on photo radar to generate $38M...nice.
    Where did you get the number of hours stat???
    Last edited by TheGeneral; 02-22-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    It is beyond a money making scam in Edmonton, it's practically extortion.
    Im no fan of MOBILE photo radar - but how exactly is driving the speed limit, extortion??

Also, if its this bad in Ed, my license plate would be very worn and dirty (but still legible up close) as the law does not state the DISTANCE at which the place needs to be visible at (just clear and legible) - so, not obviously covered or otherwise obstructed (bike hitch).
    Last edited by revelations; 02-22-2019 at 12:36 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This.

The whole thing is political and aimed at Edmontonians. We have it fucking easy here with photo radar. Anyone can simply not get tickets by just looking. Photo radar is absolutely fucked up in Edmonton as a cash cow. The effort they go through to hide the vehicles in impressive, and it's always in speed transitions.
    The NDP (based out of Ed) knows their voter base are pissed and want to gain votes.

It does sound like they have gone too far though - do they not have ISC's like here in Calgary?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    The NDP (based out of Ed) knows their voter base are pissed and want to gain votes.

It does sound like they have gone too far though - do they not have ISC's like here in Calgary?
    If "ISC" means Intersection Speed Camera, then yes - Edmonton also has those. Quite a few actually.

Im no fan of MOBILE photo radar - but how exactly is driving the speed limit, extortion??

Also, if its this bad in Ed, my license plate would be very worn and dirty (but still legible up close) as the law does not state the DISTANCE at which the place needs to be visible at (just clear and legible) - so, not obviously covered or otherwise obstructed (bike hitch).
    Practically is the key word there. I didn't say it was extortion. However, when the speed limits are intentionally kept below traffic engineer recommendations, and then the threshold for photo tickets is within the acceptable error range of a speedometer. To say this is unethical is the understatement of the year.

My Ride

(ISC)

yea those ..... I have no issues with those if the threshold is set to what we have here, 11kph over and, obviously ..... the dumb red light runners.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    If "ISC" means Intersection Speed Camera, then yes - Edmonton also has those. Quite a few actually.
    And more going up every week it seems.

- - - Updated - - -

^ yea those ..... I have no issues with those if the threshold is set to what we have here, 11kph over and, obviously ..... the dumb red light runners.
    I'd be fine with red light cams still. At least that's a tax on an unsafe act.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Practically is the key word there. I didn't say it was extortion. However, when the speed limits are intentionally kept below traffic engineer recommendations, and then the threshold for photo tickets is within the acceptable error range of a speedometer. To say this is unethical is the understatement of the year.
    How many speedometers do you know of that are off by over 11Km/h at normal speeds? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    How many speedometers do you know of that are off by over 11Km/h at normal speeds? Lol
    Not many. What's your point? Acceptable error is or was 10%. So when they're handing out tickets for 6km/h over in Edmonton, that falls within that range. In any sense, the bigger picture is the speed limits that have been artificially kept low.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The threshold seemed to be reduced in Edmonton at some point. I heard rumors as low as 4kph over could get you a ticket, but was unable to confirm.

My Ride

4-6kph is utter horseshit for a threshold .... at least the CPS traffic guys got it right.

Slip on some bigger winter tires and suddenly your speedo is 4-6kph slow.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast