Quantcast
Photo Radar going bye bye in Alberta?? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Radar going bye bye in Alberta??

My Ride
    LNF

In Edmonton, they routinely set up mobile PR in areas where the speed has changes. For instance, West on 82nd ave, right after Bonnie Doon Mall. The roadway stays the same but the speed drops by 10km/hr. So it can be very easy to accidentally be driving slightly too fast and get a ticket.

Another area, 142 st, it drops from 60 to 50 and back to 60 in under 10 blocks. Road way design does not change but photo radar is consistently set up there.

Also, I will see if I can dig up the article but there was a PR operator that came out to the news a few years where he stated that his managers would pressure the operators into setting up in areas where they would get more tickets.

Edit: Found the article..

If operators did not get high numbers of violations, they were directed to go to sites where more speeders would be caught, White said. “That’s not about safety anymore. That’s about, ‘Let’s get the numbers up.’”

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...former-insider
    Last edited by mzdspd; 02-22-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The threshold seemed to be reduced in Edmonton at some point. I heard rumors as low as 4kph over could get you a ticket, but was unable to confirm.
    I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for 4 over with photo radar other than on the "zero tolerance" days used to make a point. I have a hard time believing that is standard practice, but maybe someone has an objective source for this info.

edmonton has released data showing zero tickets for 0 to 6 km over but hundreds of thousands of tickets In the 6km to 10km over but Edmonton hasnt officially announced the threshold.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    edmonton has released data showing zero tickets for 0 to 6 km over but hundreds of thousands of tickets In the 6km to 10km over but Edmonton hasnt officially announced the threshold.
    46,155 in 2017 for 6-10 km over.. 0 tickets for 1-5 over..

https://tpavlek.me/edmonton-photo-radar/

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

There's a reason why I don't drive, or minimize driving in Edmonton. Park car at WEM hotel, either stay there the whole weekend or Uber. I've got dinged twice in Edmonton because I'm just unfamiliar with the damn place and I'm on the road alone. When there's other cars around, you're frustrated at how fucking slow everyone is driving, under the limit, because they all know there's secret Photo Radar everywhere. Even then, trip with @legendboy 2 years ago, we're in an uber, guy gets dinged twice driving us back to the hotel haha.

With the Oilers being so bad, I don't know how anyone living in Edmonton not want to shoot themselves in the head 24/7.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    With the Oilers being so bad, I don't know how anyone living in Edmonton not want to shoot themselves in the head 24/7.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    There's a reason why I don't drive, or minimize driving in Edmonton. Park car at WEM hotel, either stay there the whole weekend or Uber. I've got dinged twice in Edmonton because I'm just unfamiliar with the damn place and I'm on the road alone. When there's other cars around, you're frustrated at how fucking slow everyone is driving, under the limit, because they all know there's secret Photo Radar everywhere. Even then, trip with @legendboy 2 years ago, we're in an uber, guy gets dinged twice driving us back to the hotel haha.

Knowing that I am on the path to take my tax revenue and leave this hole for the beach one day, is the light at the end of the tunnel that keeps me from ending it all.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    46,155 in 2017 for 6-10 km over.. 0 tickets for 1-5 over..

https://tpavlek.me/edmonton-photo-radar/
    ah I was close. Look at that. lol

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:56 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

It's such a scam. I dislike Edmonton but it's good they are doing something about it.

You can only tax the ppl so much before Bastille day comes around.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    According to the City of Edmonton, the money does NOT go to general revenue.. It goes to Traffic safety programs...

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...forcement.aspx
    That would be photo radar, no?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Population of Edmonton in 2016

Speeding Tickets issued in Edmonton in 2016

basically you have a better chance of getting a speeding ticket in Edmonton than you do of being Male or Female

What a joke
    Holy shit, no wonder they are pissed up there.

Whats also interesting is that of the 500k tickets, there was only 300k unique plates. 200k people got dinged MORE than once. 5000 plates more than 6+

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    That would be photo radar, no?
    i'd say so when you see them sitting on top of bridges in brand new Lariat F150s.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

Thank god for Waze, saved me multiple times in Edmonton. Our office usually gets at least 1-2 tickets a month from Edmonton photo radar.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Visible photo radar has it's merits in certain locations, such as playground/school zones. People see photo radar units and slow down. If it's about safety, that's what the goal is, ensuring people slow down in critical zones.

If it's about revenue, you hide the units in areas of transition, or at the bottom of a hill, or where ever people would be prone to going over the maximum.

Overall, I think it's worth the gov going after this, but I was quite shocked at the City of Red Deer's response. They say this will change nothing from what they do. I can think of numerous areas in Red Deer where PR units park that are not justifiable for safety sake.

I also read once that increasing use of PR caused Alberta motorcycle license plate dimensions to grow to what they are now because the smaller plates were not legible in the pictures. If that's true then fuck PR. I hate the plate dimensions in AB.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    Visible photo radar has it's merits in certain locations, such as playground/school zones. People see photo radar units and slow down. If it's about safety, that's what the goal is, ensuring people slow down in critical zones.

If it's about revenue, you hide the units in areas of transition, or at the bottom of a hill, or where ever people would be prone to going over the maximum.

Overall, I think it's worth the gov going after this, but I was quite shocked at the City of Red Deer's response. They say this will change nothing from what they do. I can think of numerous areas in Red Deer where PR units park that are not justifiable for safety sake.

I also read once that increasing use of PR caused Alberta motorcycle license plate dimensions to grow to what they are now because the smaller plates were not legible in the pictures. If that's true then fuck PR. I hate the plate dimensions in AB.
    Even on places like Deerfoot IMO. Half the time it's a pretty obvious vehicle with their four ways on, it's a good habit to slow down anytime someone is on the side of the road anyways. No need to blow by someone doing 120 if they're changing a tire or waiting on a tow truck.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:55 PM.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I know edmonton is bad, but Medicine Hat has mobile photo radar stations disguised as garbage cans. Either “public use” ones that you’d find on a street corner, or the plastic green bin type very prevalent in resedential areas. Fucken sneakiest shit I’ve ever seen. Got tagged by one too.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Edmonton its getting out of control. saw it on a straight today on the henday, trying to hide of course. passed it doing 3 under, and up to 10 over once i got passed. its useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    I know edmonton is bad, but Medicine Hat has mobile photo radar stations disguised as garbage cans. Either “public use” ones that you’d find on a street corner, or the plastic green bin type very prevalent in resedential areas. Fucken sneakiest shit I’ve ever seen. Got tagged by one too.
    Edmonton has the ones disguised as utility boxes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    Edmonton its getting out of control. saw it on a straight today on the henday, trying to hide of course. passed it doing 3 under, and up to 10 over once i got passed. its useless.
    I've literally seen 3 in a row on Henday over passes. If you were to set your cruise at 110km/h and safely putz along in the right lane that day, you would receive 3 separate $89 tickets.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast