Quantcast
Cellphone battery performance, health and maintenance. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cellphone battery performance, health and maintenance.

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These 2 aren't really problems anymore. It's been for a few years now that devices are smart enough to drain the battery and charge, while still showing "100%" to make you feel like you're at 100% but actually doing it's best to maintain battery life by going through a slow charge/discharge cycle.

I have an iPod touch that's plugged in all the time as a baby monitor, and still has surprisingly good battery life.
    On that note, I have an iPod Touch (4th gen, I think--3.5" screen), that I hadn't used for 2-3 years and so the battery was left uncharged for that time. Fired it back up for school (because I HATE the iPhone 7 adapter) and I get hours of playback.

- Leave your phone on the charger overnight
    - Let your phone battery get extremely low or die
    - Leave your phone battery at a low charge for a long period of time
    - Leave your phone battery at 100% charge for a long period of time
    I suspect all of these are dated.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Going on 1.5 years with the OnePlus 5.

Have noticed zero difference in battery life. I only "normal" charge overnight at 2amps, the fast charger travels with me in my backpack/luggage. I do normal charge all night though.

So I'd say 75% of charging is normal charging (not to be confused with "slow charging", which seems to be 1amp or less in my testing).

With the advent of fast charging, its alot easier to get away with abusing the battery as well. Battery draining quickly? Plug it in.
    OP5 as well, it's definitely weaker than new but not enough to really make a difference on daily.

During trips tho, I did notice I have to bring out banker bank more often.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I only "normal" charge overnight at 2amps, the fast charger travels with me in my backpack/luggage. I do normal charge all night though.

So I'd say 75% of charging is normal charging (not to be confused with "slow charging", which seems to be 1amp or less in my testing).

With the advent of fast charging, its a lot easier to get away with abusing the battery as well. Battery draining quickly? Plug it in.
    I think true "fast charging" is more than 2A. But in reality it doesn't matter much, on a phone with ~3000 mAh battery, charging at 2 amps will get you from 0-100 in an hour and a half (in theory). And even at 800 mA or so, you should get a full charge overnight even if you only sleep 5 hours or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:54 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    OP5 as well, it's definitely weaker than new but not enough to really make a difference on daily.

During trips tho, I did notice I have to bring out banker bank more often.
    I'm a very hard user, I do everything on my phone, and I also run it down below 5% quite often. If I have a difference, it sure isn't much, and with how fast the thing charges, it really isnt much of a concern.

I want my next phone to have built in wireless charging. That would make me upgrade early.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I want my next phone to have built in wireless charging. That would make me upgrade early.
    The phones in my house have wireless charging, and I don't find it compelling.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The trick is to not fast charge unless absolutely necessary. USB PD high speed charging absolutely destroys the battery over time.
    Damn, I didn't know this. I just thought it was sweeter technology with no drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    On that note, I have an iPod Touch (4th gen, I think--3.5" screen), that I hadn't used for 2-3 years and so the battery was left uncharged for that time. Fired it back up for school (because I HATE the iPhone 7 adapter) and I get hours of playback.

I suspect all of these are dated.
    You suspect incorrectly Leave a phone at 0% out in the garage all winter and let me know what happens to it.

I don't know how many more times I can say it, not all of those things are of equal severity, not all batteries are created equal, and how concerned you are about following best practices will depend on the usage of the item. Most people and their 1-2 year cellphone cycles they are a non-issue other than 0% charge for extended periods, extreme heat, etc.

Regarding your iPod, I can pretty much guarantee you it doesn't still have 100% of the factory battery capacity, even if you still get lots of playback time. Whether or not that is an issue is up to you.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-26-2019 at 09:53 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I feel like ever since I switched to wireless charging, I'm always topped up. My phone sits on a wireless charger at work, in the car, when I sleep, in the kitchen, pretty much everywhere. Since it's a slow charge, battery doesn't degrade either. My original iPhone X was almost exclusively wireless charged, and before I AppleCare'd it for a broken mute toggle switch last week, was still showing 100% Maximum Capacity. @Mitsu3000gt would lose his shit at my 24h charge level graph.

Name:  A355EE9D-6EA1-46D4-929B-70E1039BDC3F.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  72.8 KB
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Damn, I didn't know this. I just thought it was sweeter technology with no drawbacks.
    It's not going to cause any significant damage over the normal life of an electronic (tablet, smartphone, etc.) There are much, much, worse things you can do. The device slows the charge rate down dramatically the closer it gets to 100%.

Just like most things in this thread, if you don't follow best practices, the consequences aren't that bad depending on what device it is. But there is still a difference between optimal battery care and just doing whatever is convenient.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hey, does something like this exist for wireless charging a cellphone? Bought some wall/plug mounts for the google home mini.
    Name:  Google home wall mount.PNG
Views: 256
Size:  97.0 KB
    Anything like this that hangs from a plug and wirelessly charges a phone?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    To be fair, you still have a land line, maybe the technology isn't aimed at you?

Remember shower glass door slamming? Plugging in electronics is super high on my irrational hatred list. Just the act of doing so frustrates me (I am constantly on the move, between my business, work, hotels, racing, etc, so I don't really have a "spot" that I can reliably leave a charger plugged into and just plug my phone in every day). Wireless charging in comparison would be bliss, everytime I set a device down to charge, I'd get a little dopamine shot while I thought to myself "God damn this is amazing".

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

To be fair, you still have a land line, maybe the technology isn't aimed at you?
    Hah, well it's a VOIP land line, but I get your point. I am pretty . . . Slow . . . to adopt new technology.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2