Quantcast
Laptop <$1k - what are my options? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop <$1k - what are my options?

The Asus is a full pound or 40% heavier than the X1 Carbon (~2.5 vs 3.5lbs).

The Asus has a dedicated GPU which is nice if you ever do more than office work on it.

The Lenovo has a better PCIe x4 SSD with ~3 times the speed of the one in the Asus. Unless you buy the 1TB model Asus is only using x2 PCIe SSDs - it won't be slow, but they are cutting corners there.

Processor speed difference between the two is in most cases less than 10%, you will not notice anything there one way or another.

Battery life will be better on the X1 Carbon, but if you're docked that is a moot point.

You're getting better surrounding hardware in the Lenovo (keyboard, chassis, trackpad etc.) and also paying for the fact that it's a lot smaller/lighter. The 15" Zenbooks are good entry/mid level value though and are relatively compact for a 15 incher.

Either will suit your needs just fine given the intended usage - again it comes down to screen size, weight, & chassis quality for the most part.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Huh, hadn't realized the older X1 was so much lighter. Hmm, that is a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Huh, hadn't realized the older X1 was so much lighter. Hmm, that is a big difference.
    That's a big part of what you're paying for there - the ultra premium chassis. The other reason why its lighter is because it's simply smaller. It's still spendy, but normally it carries a much higher premium.

The CPU also is not that old, they are both built on the same 14nm process and have the same iGPU. The 8265u is just a minor refresh of the 8250u. I wouldn't be surprised if the older CPU is actually faster under sustained loads because it's clocked lower and should run cooler. Probably splitting hairs there though.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I suppose the Zenbook 14 is more of a fair comparison on the weight side. Although weirdly it's not cheaper.
    Asus ZenBook 14 UX433FA-Q52S-CB 14" Notebook - 1920 x 1080 - Core i5 i5-8265U - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD - Icicle Silver - Windows 10 64-bit - Intel HD Graphics - $1170 from Software City ( https://www.softwarecity.ca/item/UX4...mpaign=shopbot )
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 07-18-2019 at 03:57 PM.

I suppose the Zenbook 14 is more of a fair comparison on the weight side. Although weirdly it's not cheaper.
    Asus ZenBook 14 UX433FA-Q52S-CB 14" Notebook - 1920 x 1080 - Core i5 i5-8265U - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD - Icicle Silver - Windows 10 64-bit - Intel HD Graphics - Tru2Life - English, French Keyboard - Infrared Camera - Bluetooth - 13 Hour Battery Run Time $1170 from Software City ( https://www.softwarecity.ca/item/UX4...mpaign=shopbot )
    Those are good price/performance, and you get the dual-use trackpad which is the first innovative thing I have seen on a laptop in probably 10 years. Again it's using a x2 interface for the SSD, but it's not slow. The only thing I don't love about them is they don't have the same build quality as the higher end Zenbooks (flex in the keyboard, etc.) At the price point though it's also a fine choice. The ergo-hinge is nice for desktop usage.

It might help if you went to Memory Express - they have most of what you're looking at on display, and perhaps an in-person look will help narrow it down for you. The specs are 90% the same on all of these so you're still down to screen size / chassis / build quality.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hmm, and then there's the "high spec" version of the zenbook 14 :
    Asus Zenbook 14 UX433FA-DH74 w/ Core™ i7-8565U, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 14.0in FHD, Windows 10 $1499 (although out of stock locally at memex, so would end up using some online retailer.)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yes, I suppose I need to get to memex and feel these to be sure.

Yes, I suppose I need to get to memex and feel these to be sure.
    I was at the SE location tonight and I think they only had 1 Zenbook out - before they had a lot more. Best Buy might be better, they have lots of Asus product on display but they don't sell the X1 Carbon to my knowledge.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Went to NE location, selection wasn't great. Wasn't feeling compelled. Went home and ordered the X1 carbon 6 Gen. The amazing Lenovo keyboard, light weight, and supposedly high quality were all factors. Lenovo website checkout wasn't working well. Had to complete transaction with customer service chat. Sorry to the sub $1k crowd. I was nearly one of ya..

Oh well, can't wait for the new laptop to arrive.

Went to NE location, selection wasn't great. Wasn't feeling compelled. Went home and ordered the X1 carbon 6 Gen. The amazing Lenovo keyboard, light weight, and supposedly high quality were all factors. Lenovo website checkout wasn't working well. Had to complete transaction with customer service chat. Sorry to the sub $1k crowd. I was nearly one of ya..

Oh well, can't wait for the new laptop to arrive.
    Nice choice. And if you don't like something about it, I believe their return policy is 30 days, no restocking fee, and they pay return shipping - so put it through it's paces when you get it to make sure it suits you.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Looks like there is an extra 5% for the weekend on some Lenovo stuff. Code is cyber5. The one time I don't procrastinate enough....

Looks like there is an extra 5% for the weekend on some Lenovo stuff. Code is cyber5. The one time I don't procrastinate enough....
    Call/chat them - I bet they give it to you. I'm sure they would prefer that to you canceling/reordering.

The Lenovo Thinkbook is much tougher than a Zenbook. I only buy Thinkbooks for the employees now as every single Zenbook gets broken on the screen hinge. Also MemEx is an authorized Lenovo repair partner.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    The Lenovo Thinkbook is much tougher than a Zenbook. I only buy Thinkbooks for the employees now as every single Zenbook gets broken on the screen hinge. Also MemEx is an authorized Lenovo repair partner.
    I have a 2011 Zenbook that still looks and operates as new, including the screen hinge. The battery capacity is still in the 90% range as well according to HWMonitor. Another thing it has is a full aluminium grid in between all the keyboard keys which is very hard to find and adds a lot of rigidity. It has outlasted almost every other laptop I have come across of the same vintage and at this rate should last until it's simply not supported anymore. Myself and 2 other friends bought Zenbooks around the same time ~8 years ago and they are all still going strong in various configurations. One of them is abused every day in a field work environment and he is still using it. Could use a spec update for sure, but hardware wise they are as good as anything else. There are also different levels of Zenbooks - the more expensive ones are built better than the cheap ones, just like Lenovo or any other brand really.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Oh wow, I wonder if too many people ordered or something. That's kind of a shitty thing for MS to do.
    Another one for you if 17" is OK, and you can use your $50 credit haha:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/as...%3aoverviewtab

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Another one for you if 17" is OK, and you can use your $50 credit haha:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/as...%3aoverviewtab
    Thanks I saw that too.
    I don't even need a gaming laptop... just looking for a good deal on a sub $600.

Pretty hard when the following things make me cringe:
    -HDD
    -4gb or less RAM
    -Not FHD screen
    -The word 'celeron'
    Last edited by jwslam; 07-25-2019 at 08:05 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Which model did you end up buying?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

6 Gen x1 carbon. It hasn't arrived yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Thanks I saw that too.
    I don't even need a gaming laptop... just looking for a good deal on a sub $600.

Pretty hard when the following things make me cringe:
    -HDD
    -4gb or less RAM
    -Not FHD screen
    -The word 'celeron'
    Haha yeah sub- $600 is tougher. That Acer Swift from earlier though was $569 and would have checked all your boxes. There will be more deals.

Lenovo had 12% ebates that weekend of the extra 5% off too which all in all was pretty significant additional savings.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

6 Gen x1 carbon. It hasn't arrived yet. Maybe tomorrow.
    Specs? Price?
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast