Quantcast
Traveling to London, Paris and ? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to London, Paris and ?

My Ride
    2013 C63 AMG , 2022 Acura RDX A Spec, 2005 BMW M3

Default Traveling to London, Paris and ?

Hey Guys,

me and my girlfriend are traveling to London 1st week of may.

we have 10 days going to London 1st then pairs for 3 days, where else would you guys suggest we go that's close to Pairs

and

any suggests on what to do in London and Pairs

Thanks guys
    2022 Acura RDX A Spec
    2013 C63 AMG Sedan
    2006 Nissan X-Trial
    2005 Bmw M3 vert
    2008 Ducati 848
    1977 Ford F150

Arras, go see Vimy Ridge.

The town of Arras is also quite awesome, I personally preffered it to Paris. Just as much history and no lines.

I suggest you skip Pairs and check out Paris.

In London, the Natural History Museum is free. Tower of London is cool, and that is right by the London Bridge. Check out Westminster Palace/Big Ben / London Eye (go up at sunset) - they are all right beside each other. Pretty easy to do all the tourist highlights in 1-2 days. Grab an Oyster card for the Bus/Subway. I wouldn't spend more than 1-2 days there personally, and it's extremely expensive. If you have extra time consider heading North to check out Edinburgh - way better than London IMHO.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-25-2019 at 11:48 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm having a hard time following you...10 days total between London and Paris?

Anyways around Paris, if you've never done Versailles I think it's a must and takes a day.

Are you taking the Chunnel from London to Paris? If so, I'd spend time in Normandy, rent a car for a few days. Beautiful area, especially the Bay of Mont St. Michel.
    Ultracrepidarian

I thought Paris was a dump when we were there last year. See the big sites you want then GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Anyways around Paris, if you've never done Versailles I think it's a must and takes a day.
    To each their own, but I HIGHLY disagree with this.

The gardens were beautiful, no question... However the palace itself was a dump, just room after room (offices) packed full of people... There is no freedom to explore, you are glorified cattle looking at desks.
    The only cool part was the hall of mirrors, which was ~ 10 minutes of our day.

I'd suggest the Louvre instead, it was the "old" palace while Versailles was being built, the royal family moved to Versailles during the French Revolution.
    The Louvre will give you a very good idea of the architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I thought Paris was a dump when we were there last year. See the big sites you want then GTFO.
    I feel this way about Rome.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    I feel this way about Rome.

any big European cities in general for me.
    after hitting most major tourist attractions, I prefer exploring the smaller rural places.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Exactly! You gotta do the big stuff, otherwise you'll always wonder what it's like.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    NC1

Exactly! You gotta do the big stuff, otherwise you'll always wonder what it's like.
    Yup and then just wander around. Everyone likes different things on vacation.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Completely agree with this. It is just part of the Paris experience. Once you check out the big things, you can do everything else. We went to the Arc de triomphe, Eiffel Tower (seeing this from far is good enough - ie Trocadero), Louvre, etc., and didn't spend too much time doing any of this since they are all fairly centrally located. We did go inside the Louvre for a few hours though - braved the crowds at the Mona Lisa and then wandered into the quieter parts of the museum. If you're into art that isn't quite as old, the Musee d'Orsay is great too.

Once you are done seeing the big things, you can spend your time wandering the streets or le marais, mont marte, st germain, etc., drinking at wine bars, eating, visiting local markets. With only 10 days total for two cities, it is hard to recommend adding to your itinerary. Perhaps a day trip to Versailles? For me, I just enjoy being in Paris and walking and eating. So much good food and wine.

My Ride
    2013 C63 AMG , 2022 Acura RDX A Spec, 2005 BMW M3

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza View Post
    Completely agree with this. It is just part of the Paris experience. Once you check out the big things, you can do everything else. We went to the Arc de triomphe, Eiffel Tower (seeing this from far is good enough - ie Trocadero), Louvre, etc., and didn't spend too much time doing any of this since they are all fairly centrally located. We did go inside the Louvre for a few hours though - braved the crowds at the Mona Lisa and then wandered into the quieter parts of the museum. If you're into art that isn't quite as old, the Musee d'Orsay is great too.

Once you are done seeing the big things, you can spend your time wandering the streets or le marais, mont marte, st germain, etc., drinking at wine bars, eating, visiting local markets. With only 10 days total for two cities, it is hard to recommend adding to your itinerary. Perhaps a day trip to Versailles? For me, I just enjoy being in Paris and walking and eating. So much good food and wine.

i was planning on spending 3 days in London 3 days Paris and then 3 days in Monaco or going down to Barcelona

just want to see the big things that you always wonder about and what it's like
    2022 Acura RDX A Spec
    2013 C63 AMG Sedan
    2006 Nissan X-Trial
    2005 Bmw M3 vert
    2008 Ducati 848
    1977 Ford F150

My Ride
    Bicycle

Going up any towers is one of the dumbest and touristy things you can do.

But you will do it anyway, just to say you've been there.

Pro Tip, if they still allow it and you are not afraid of height, walking down Eiffel is quicker than waiting for the elevator and actually redeemed the experience for me.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Agree. Definitly check out all the major attractions or you will regret not doing so. However, if possible, set aside some time to just experience the city and the sights, away from the tourist spots.

I remember the first time I went to the big cities like London, Rome, Paris, Lisbon, Barcelona, etc.. it was rush rush rush to see all the iconic attractions, but the second, third, or even the fourth time going back we took it easy and just lived like the locals and those trips were so much more fun. With that said, I don't think those re-visits would've been as enjoyable if we didn't already visited all the tourist stuff.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 02-25-2019 at 05:42 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You have to do SOME of the major tourist stuff, but you won't have time to do it all, so don't rush around attempting to do that. Put some time aside to walk the streets, eat at the cafes, and really experience the city.
    Also, I don't think you should do Monaco at all. Ten days for london and paris is fine. Don't go more places.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Anyone who has travelled has made the mistake of cramming in too much shit.

In the end it's a vacation, not a check list. You shouldn't be exhausted at the end
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Especially in a place like Paris, where the atmosphere is one of the big draws.

Anyway, my user name isn't an accident. Travel like ExtraSlow. I suggest you get a hotel in a nice area and have one full day where you don't take a taxi, train or subway anywhere, just enjoy the neighbourhood.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

WTF is London Pairs..? Then I re-read that aloud in with a madeup character in my head of a angry old Indian man with constipation and a thick thick Indio Canadian accent. Indian Paaaairs... Oooohhhh I get it... Paris. Ok ok...

Name:  angryindian.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  33.1 KB

If your into museums, as mentioned above, then check out the VA and Natural History museum. South Kensington Station on the Piccadilly line. Then you can walk down Cromwell road to Harrods, and then Hyde park.

That being said. No offence Nav and nothing personal to you, Im stereotyping but I don't know any Indian person (other than myself) that does museums, history and old building shit. So I wont give you that list.

Soooo that being said...You can take the tube and get off at Westminster Station. Walk along the southbank side of the river. You will pass the London eye. You can walk all the way to London Bridge. Lots of photo ops. Just before London Bridge is the Tate Modern. You can walk across the bridge to St Pauls Cathedral. Take the tube from St Pauls (central line) and change at Oxford circus to the Piccadilly line and get off at Piccadilly Circus. Again photos ops. You prob hungry by now..some good restaurants and bars in Soho. Take a open top tour bus after. You can walk anywhere from Piccadilly circus, you can go to Buckingham Palace or Trafalgar Square. National Portrait gallery is also there.

The east end of London past Whitchapel(don't go to Whitechapel, its a shithole) has some great bars and nightlife in the eve.
    Westfield (shepherds bush/Whitecity station) is for shopping or go Oxford Street.

If you ARE into old shit, take a trip to Bath or Windsor just outside of London. You can take a tour that does StoneHenge too.

Orleans is a hour outside of Paris by train. Its a lovely city. It really is, very romantic. Your gf will be happy. She will think she is in a Hindi Movie (but without the dancers). I highly recommend it.
    Name:  123492-fb9a613465404c84a4f1875ef5966527-2.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  44.7 KB

But like extra slow said. Don't rush around too much. Take your time and enjoy it. So many places to eat, so many parks and lots to see and experience. If you do decide to check out other cities, you can fly pretty cheap on budget airlines. They fly from Gatwick, Luton and Stansted airports.

If you need any detailed info. Shoot me a PM.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I think Amsterdam was a 3-4 hour train ride. Tons to do and see there.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Going up any towers is one of the dumbest and touristy things you can do.

But you will do it anyway, just to say you've been there.

Pro Tip, if they still allow it and you are not afraid of height, walking down Eiffel is quicker than waiting for the elevator and actually redeemed the experience for me.
    If you want a great view/pics of Eiffel, go here as sun is setting.
    https://www.tourmontparnasse56.com/en/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast