Quantcast
Help Matt Spend Money - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Help Matt Spend Money

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Help Matt Spend Money

Continuing the RX100 (et al.) vs. GR II/III conversation.

Part of me wants to bring my 810 + 16-35 and filters and tripod on this trip. For one, we're going to a few places that are on my photo bucket list, such as Cinque Terre, Lake Como, Neuschwanstein...southern France in general...

My better half is not thrilled about that idea. It certainly wouldn't be a daily camera so I don't see the problem because I don't want to lug it around the streets of Paris either, for weight and theft reasons. Why I do want to bring it in the first place is mainly for long exposures at the seaside or at night, ISO performance in churches and wide angle POV for all the aforementioned spots.

If there was a compact that could do those things without needing to weigh 800 lbs that'd be sweet. But I'm a bit reluctant to leave my ol' faithful behind and be in a spot regretting not having it.

Thoughts?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

If I was going on that trip, I'd definitely take the D810 + Compact tripod for landscape stuff. Actually, I'd take a DSLR for landscape, my Q for daily carry and a GR for when I want to be super light.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My better half is not thrilled about that idea.
    If she ain't carrying it, I don't see how that factors in to anything

Take both the SLR and a compact.

I was in Europe in the Fall and for the exact reasons you described, I left my D850 at home and brought only my drone and a RX100VA. It was the first trip I have done so. Honestly it was refreshing, and having a camera that small and that flexible/capable with me so easily accessible all the time was awesome. I even brought a tiny tripod along so I didn't miss out on those shots. Image quality exceeded my expectations, and JPEGs were good enough I didn't even bother editing many of them. ISO 1600-3200 is very good and F1.8 helps. I added the grip ($20), which does not increase packable size at all, and makes world of difference for ergonomics.

The RX100 VA is a tech powerhouse, which may or may not be important to you, but it's loaded with nice-to-haves even if you only use them once in a while. It's just nice to have literally everything available to you in a pocketable package. The pop-up viewfinder is awesome, 24FPS RAW with huge buffer and full AF is pretty cool, and you can obviously set much lower FPS for normal scenarios. It has a built in ND filter, 4K/60P with S-Log, 960fps slow-mo and everything in between on the video side. Tiltable pop-up flash for bouncing, WiFi remote control with your smartphone, etc. 24mm/1.8 without any adapters and still F2.8 at 70mm. OS is very effective, I have lots of shots in single digit shutter speeds. Full articulating LCD, 1/32000 shutter, eye-AF that actually works really well, etc. General response is instantaneous, at least as fast as most DSLRs. You can charge it with a micro-USB so you don't even have to carry a block charger. I don't even know how they can upgrade it anymore, it already has virtually every feature imaginable packed inside. I guess you can always make buffers deeper and FPS faster.

If you are comparing a GRIII and RX100VA specifically, the only advantage on the GR really is sensor size, and I think you would be surprised how good that 1" stacked BSI Sony sensor is. You also get a viewfinder on the RX which is a huge help in bright conditions or for tracking a moving subject. The GR is a very simple camera, no zoom, relatively slow maximum aperture, no 4K, etc. You're pretty much paying for the sensor size, in which case you should also look at a Fuji XF10 which is $550 cheaper (almost half the price) - it lacks image stabilization but is otherwise very similar and still has a leaf shutter. More than anything I wouldn't want to give up the ability to zoom if it was my sole camera for travel, I used the zoom a lot. That very much depends on your own style though. The RX100 VI has a 24-200mm lens which would be even better for general travel, but $1600 is getting pretty crazy. The VA is the sweet spot IMO, and is between $0 and $100 cheaper (depending on sales) than the IV for a massive improvement.

I upgraded from a Coolpix A which was almost the identical camera to a GRII and I am much happier with the RX line. The RX and GR are really different cameras but cost almost the same. It's basically a case of sensor size vs maximum tech in the smallest possible package. I'm going to Iceland for 3 weeks in May though and I am 100% taking my D850, some trips I am not willing to compromise - if this is one of those trips for you then you may want to consider just taking the D810 in a holster bag or something relatively compact. The RX line also makes a perfect DSLR backup, and is so small you can always take it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-26-2019 at 12:11 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

are you a zoom lens kind of guy or prime?
    what kind of photos are you looking to get?
    pick a compact standard focal length and add if needed.

first time in Europe I had the M240 with 21, 35, 50, X100 and a 28mm P&S film.
    I used the M240 with 35mm most of the time and the 21mm only for certain wide-angle shots.

second time we were i Europe I had the X-T2 with (in 35mm equiv) 18mm, 28mm and 75mm.
    I used the 28mm 90% of the time.

We are backpackers too so space is limited for us so I gravitate to small/light bodies and lenses.
    Plus I find that I use my iphone most of the time for quick/street snaps.

On our coming trip to Mexico I'm just planning on bringing the 21mm, 35mm and my instax wide camera.

for you, I would bring your d810 w/ 16-35 for landscape shots, pick a portable mirrorless camera as day to day shots or use your phone if you are comfortable with only one focal length. GRIII or X100F are good options that I' would consider if I were on your current situation
    Last edited by taemo; 02-26-2019 at 12:22 PM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Camera's are much more than specifications on paper. There might be a reason why the Coolpix A was a discounted flash in the pan for Nikon, and the GR line has been around for decades.

Figure out your most used/favorite focal lengths and make sure you have those covered with a camera you enjoy using.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Last time I was in Europe I was definitely more a wide-shot shooter but every once in awhile there is that time I'm looking for zoom.

The shots I'm after are all landscape. But since we're travelling with a group of 8 for ~2/3'rds of the trip, it's inevitable I'll want to get more candid shots, looking 'adventurer' from a parking lot in Switzerland etc.

A couple summers ago I was in France and only took my phone. I took maybe 20 shots but since it was just my phone I thought "who cares". Different type of trip then and now however and I'll be much more in control of the itinerary.

Definitely gotta get a good shot of Manarola. We're there 3 nights so the odds are good!...but I'll be so choked if I don't it the shot in my head.

The more I think about this, the more I'm hesitant to spend >$1K on a compact. Maybe my better half will help me pay for half
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    Camera's are much more than specifications on paper.
    I think for some people comparing specs on a spreadsheet is part of the photography experience.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    Camera's are much more than specifications on paper. There might be a reason why the Coolpix A was a discounted flash in the pan for Nikon, and the GR line has been around for decades.
    The GR and Coolpix A were virtually the exact same camera aside from appearance so I'm not sure what that reason would be. Also the Coolpix line has been around quite a bit longer than the GR line and the Coolpix line is the only one that spans more than 2 decades They are neat cameras but neither are/were ever big sellers. The GRII is currently on sale for half of what the the GRIII is expected to sell for. Basic fixed FL APS-C compacts are very much a niche market.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    The more I think about this, the more I'm hesitant to spend >$1K on a compact. Maybe my better half will help me pay for half
    Consider the Fuji XF10 if price is a major consideration - you won't beat that IQ for $650 but features are limited, no zoom, etc.