Quantcast
Hit and Run accident and Enterprise Car Rental - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Hit and Run accident and Enterprise Car Rental

Default Hit and Run accident and Enterprise Car Rental

I have a question about rental car agencies that I hope someone can help me with. I rented a car on February 9 at Enterprise Car Rental. When I had parked at Beddington Towne Centre, an old Chinese man backed up and hit my vehicle. I knocked on his door but he fled the scene. I got the license plate, reported it to Police and he is charged with a hit and run accident. The next day I gave the police incident number, insurance claim number, and reported it to Enterprise. The lady took all the info, informed me that I would not have to pay any damage deductable, and since it was a criminal act. Today, after returning the vehicle, the exact same lady claimed I had never came in the business on that date or any other date, told about the accident, and she would come after me for the damage deductable. It was one of the most bizarre experience of my life. I am assuming they have video surveillance, and that would prove that I had reported the accident to the Enterprise lady as mentioned. My question is would I have to fight this, go after the old Chinese man for the deductible, or pay it myself. I apologize as I am umfaunfamiwith this type of situation. Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry if this is not the right place to discuss this matter.
    Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 02-27-2019 at 02:10 PM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Does your own insurance policy not cover rental cars when you have them? If so, just let your insurance company deal with it as you have the police file and everything. It might be a case of Enterprise charging you and then you get re-imbursed by insurance company? I dunno just a guess
    Last edited by dj_rice; 02-27-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Do you not have rental car insurance coverage through your credit card or through your personal auto insurance?

Did said lady give you a claim number or case number when you first reported it?

Edit: dj_rice beat me to it

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am assuming they have video surveillance, and that would prove that I had reported the accident to the Enterprise lady as mentioned. My question is would I have to fight this, go after the old Chinese man for the deductible, or pay it myself.
    It doesn't matter what they have in terms of video surveillance, because they aren't going to give it to you. However, if you wanted, you could escalate this issue to Enterprise corporate if you want to get this lady punished. Customer satisfaction surveys are complaints are taken very seriously in that industry, so by all means feel free to complain and continue complaining until you are happy. Don't act non-confrontational and compliant, that won't get you anywhere. Be firm and politely displeased.

It sounds like you did purchase Enterprises optional Loss and Damage Waiver (LDW) insurance at the time of rental? If you did, you should have gotten paperwork that outlines your liability in terms of the deductible. Read that first.
    Secondly, did you rent with a credit card that has coverage for rental vehicles? If so, Call your credit card company.
    Thirdly, does your personal auto insurance cover rental vehicles, or were you using this rental vehicle due to repairs being completed by your auto insurance company? If so, Call them too.

When they call you for the deductible, Don't say you won't pay it, just say your personal insurance covers it and you are working on the details. Stall for time.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 02-27-2019 at 02:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Secondly, did you rent with a credit card that has coverage for rental vehicles? If so, Call your credit card company.
    I totaled a rental mini-van on vacation, which was also a hit and run. Contacted the rental company, and promptly called my credit card company (had rental coverage) and they handled everything. They worked it out between them and I wasn't really involved. Very easy.

My Ride
    NC1

That is so fked up.

I have a rental vehicle right now and if they tried to pull that shit on me I would just laugh and tell them to pound sand.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Update:

Spoke to manager and he apologized, and said that they implemented new software computer systems in the past couple of weeks and they are going after the man responsible for the hit and run. It's odd since when I asked the lady to speak to the manager of the location, she said she was the manager, which was obviously false, and hung up on me, and did it again when I tried to call back. Even more bizarre, I got three calls at work from the same number (Enterprise) after the issue was resolved. I finally called back as I did not recognize the name, and curious to see who called three times in five minutes. Turns out it was a Enterprise employee. When I asked what he called about, he asked for my name then said "sorry wrong number, I was trying to call my manager."

This all occured at the Edmonton Trail Enterprise location.

Bizarre customer service lol, but at least I am not on the hook for the damage to the vehicle.
    Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 02-27-2019 at 03:40 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

It sounds like having a single conversation with this lady could be one wild ride!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Given Beyond's demographics has everyone checked their dad's car for new rear damage?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Interesting, that location was super awesome to deal with when I had my car in for repairs.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Edmonton Trail location is super sketchy now in my opinion.

I rented a car as my car was in the shop. Did a walk through with the one guy that was there, everything checked out. I literally drove the car home and parked in the garage, went on a business trip, came home a week later and returned the car.

The manager there....went out to inspect the car. As I watched him, he went out, didn't even look around the car but was able to single out this spot on the left side rear door near the bottom that all of a sudden has this dent. Couldn't even see it to be honest as the car was dirty but he said it's damaged and right away sent it to claims. I tried to fight it, but what it came down to was it wasn't marked down on the initial inspection and it was my fault. Cost me almost $400 via paintless dent repair.

My issue.....instead of checking out the car anywhere else, this guy knew exactly where to find this dent on a dirty car. Even after the road dirt was cleaned up, I still couldn't even really see the dent especially from far away. I swear the guy knew it was there and hit me up for money, but can't prove.

Again, my personal opinion and my personal experience. But i'll never go to that location again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

It wasn't Enterprise but I had hail damage few yrs back. Phoned rental and had a car booked ahead before I brought my car to the shop. I was told that it's good to go, just phone them when I drop the car off for pick up. Later I was at the shop, phoned them for pickup. They had no clue about the booking. After a bit they finally got me a car and it was a hail damaged piece of shit. I didn't have a choice I got to go to work, whatever. Fast forward to that evening when I was driving that piece of shit home, I got a call from them asking me if I still want the car that was arranged for me. I lost my shit there and the call ended really quick lol.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post

I rented a car as my car was in the shop. Did a walk through with the one guy that was there, everything checked out. I literally drove the car home and parked in the garage, went on a business trip, came home a week later and returned the car.

The manager there....went out to inspect the car. As I watched him, he went out, didn't even look around the car but was able to single out this spot on the left side rear door near the bottom that all of a sudden has this dent. Couldn't even see it to be honest as the car was dirty but he said it's damaged and right away sent it to claims. I tried to fight it, but what it came down to was it wasn't marked down on the initial inspection and it was my fault. Cost me almost $400 via paintless dent repair.

My issue.....instead of checking out the car anywhere else, this guy knew exactly where to find this dent on a dirty car. Even after the road dirt was cleaned up, I still couldn't even really see the dent especially from far away. I swear the guy knew it was there and hit me up for money, but can't prove.

Again, my personal opinion and my personal experience. But i'll never go to that location again.
    Probably the previous renter dented the panel and the employee that closed the reservation didn’t catch the damage so they had to pin it on to the next renter (you).

My Ride
    NC1

That's insane.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Happens all the time. It happened to me back when Ikea did rentals and I was able to prove them wrong by going back to the previous renter's form and good thing they marked the damage in their form.

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Probably the previous renter dented the panel and the employee that closed the reservation didn’t catch the damage so they had to pin it on to the next renter (you).
    Yes, def suspected that for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Bodyshop rented a car with Hertz, they paid for it all as they messed up on my paint repair collison, Cadillac ATS, picked it up and drove straight to work. Took pics of it all around as a just in case, and thats when I spotted one of the rims was curbed already. Nothing was noted on the inspection form, but when I picked up the vehicle, the guy renting me the vehicle had a lineup, so he made his lot guy do a walk around and give me the car. The lot guy didn't do a walk around, all he checked was the windshield and that was it. But luckily they didn't ding me when I returned it. But I did have an issue 3 months later, I see a $600 charge on my credit card. Went there in person to inquire, worker there didn't know anything about it, file was closed, only manager had access to view, manager was on vacation, asst manager was off. And they wouldn't issue me a refund. Bodyshop even called them while I was there and said all charges was supposed to go them, to refund me. They wouldn't. Took a week of fighting them and threatening a charge back on my credit card.

In terms of rental places, I think the staff is either not trained properly or come and go.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Took a week of fighting them and threatening a charge back on my credit card. .

Should have immediately done a charge back and let the CC handle it. Thats what you pay insane fees for.