Quantcast
Bell cuts phone service to family struggling to pay surprise $1,800 bill (lol) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bell cuts phone service to family struggling to pay surprise $1,800 bill (lol)

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Bell cuts phone service to family struggling to pay surprise $1,800 bill (lol)

Hilarious that this is actually considered news. Entitled people crack me up.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bel...bill-1.5035728

TL;DR

Family has a phone plan, daughter texts someone in US thousands of times. She gets warnings. She ignore warnings. Racks up $1800. Dad pissed warning didn't go to him. Bell emails dad if he doesn't pay his service is getting disconnected. He doesn't see those warnings, might have ended up in Spam folder. Work is slow so now dad is fed up with Bell and will go elsewhere. Wah wah wah.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

And ironically.. .its rage posting about it

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

"We just feel like they're bullying us," said Joy Zylstra. "I don't know how they're able to get away with this."
    Stop making us personally responsible for our bills!!!

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stop making us personally responsible for our bills!!!
    Adulting is hard.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have something on my account that cuts data when it reaches a certain amount over my plan. Is such a thing available for a certain amount of dollars over your plan? It should be and it should be mandatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I left my water running in my kitchen sink for 3 weeks while I was on vacation, those bullies at "City Hall" think I should pay for the WHOLE WATER BILL!!!!!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Family fail, cries to media, media able to get bill reduced. History will repeat itself.

Bell should just say GFY
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Wait until they switch to another provider, someone in the family does the same shit again and they find that there's no difference between TELUS, Bell, and Rogers.

That said, they did try to put $400 towards the bill and just needed more time. $1800 can be a bit of change for what I assume to be an low income family.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

I smell a GoFundMe starting up...

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I have something on my account that cuts data when it reaches a certain amount over my plan. Is such a thing available for a certain amount of dollars over your plan? It should be and it should be mandatory.
    According to the article, this fell through a loophole in the system:

Following complaints about teens running up data overage fees on shared phone plans, the CRTC, Canada's telecom regulator, added protections to the Wireless Code in 2017: it mandated that the account holder must approve all data charges beyond $50.

Unfortunately for the Zylstras, the same rule doesn't apply to texting charges.
    I guessing "texting" data is different from all other data...

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

I find it funny that they mention they have a business plan for their cell service. I bet the full amount is being deducted in the business yet I am sure the daughter does absolutely nothing for the business nor the wife. Would be funny if "CRA" bullied them and denied the expenses in the company and tacked on a taxable benefit for using the company's phone line.

My Ride
    Bicycle

14 year olds still texting each other?

I thought they are all IG this, sanpchat that.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    This relic of history is maddening. Many carries are getting away from it though.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Many carries are getting away from it though.
    I can't find any info about that, help! I still find texting to be the most prominent way that people message each other in my personal and professional circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    According to the article, this fell through a loophole in the system:

It could be applied to MMS. Although data is required to be turned on to send pictures via SMS, makes sense since it isn't using a strictly data based (???) messaging service like imessage or whatsapp.

Stupid gonna stupid

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    I can't find any info about that, help! I still find texting to be the most prominent way that people message each other in my personal and professional circles.
    The only people that text, are my family. Everyone else uses Facebook Messenger, What's App, or Google Hangouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    I mean carriers getting away from charging for each text. Not getting away from offering that product. I didn't make that clear.

My Ride
    *The First*

I'll play Devil's Advocate and say Fuck Bell.
    I guess those electrons were quite costly and it's totally fair for them to immediately require full payment on a bill that was 20x higher than normal so they could recoup all those "costs" that they are carrying for a bunch of extra texts. You know... Those costs?
    I thought the new regulations that came in about 2+ years ago were supposed to curb these issues. The same regulations that the Big 3 spent millions to fight in ad campaigns. I thought they had higher obligations to notify their customers of wild overages to prevent this. I hope they didn't technically meet those obligations and they get nothing but irregardless they should not be demanding full payment within a month for something so extraordinary.
    Again, fuck Bell. Canadians pay some of the highest rates in the developed world for cellular service that is essentially a commodity.
    Adulting is hard but not being a corporate cunt is showing to be harder in this instance.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'll play Devil's Advocate and say Fuck Bell.
    I guess those electrons were quite costly and it's totally fair for them to immediately require full payment on a bill that was 20x higher than normal so they could recoup all those "costs" that they are carrying for a bunch of extra texts. You know... Those costs?
    Does what it costs them matter? I mean it's clear it doesn't cost them that much when they offer an unlimited package for $12/month. Who are you to decide if they have a wildly profitable option that really only stupid people would use?

I thought the new regulations that came in about 2+ years ago were supposed to curb these issues. The same regulations that the Big 3 spent millions to fight in ad campaigns. I thought they had higher obligations to notify their customers of wild overages to prevent this.
    They do. They were notified. They were ignored.

Again, fuck Bell. Canadians pay some of the highest rates in the developed world for cellular service that is essentially a commodity.
    Adulting is hard but not being a corporate cunt is showing to be harder in this instance.
    I mean I'm not defending Bell or anything, as you're right, cellular service is expensive as fuck here. To be fair, I would be more than happy to continue paying what I pay for the level of service that we receive here. I travel a lot, and I've mentioned this many times, whenever I land back in Canada, I'm back to 2019 and mobile internet speeds are normal. Everywhere else I've traveled, either there's a ton of shitty spots, or massive congestion where you can barely load a web page.

We are spoiled here in Canada in terms of performance + reliability. Anywhere I am in the city, I can fire up a TV stream in perfect quality over mobile networks, at times even better than whatever place I'm at with their free wifi.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Does what it costs them matter? I mean it's clear it doesn't cost them that much when they offer an unlimited package for $12/month. Who are you to decide if they have a wildly profitable option that really only stupid people would use?

They do. They were notified. They were ignored.

I mean I'm not defending Bell or anything, as you're right, cellular service is expensive as fuck here. To be fair, I would be more than happy to continue paying what I pay for the level of service that we receive here. I travel a lot, and I've mentioned this many times, whenever I land back in Canada, I'm back to 2019 and mobile internet speeds are normal. Everywhere else I've traveled, either there's a ton of shitty spots, or massive congestion where you can barely load a web page.

We are spoiled here in Canada in terms of performance + reliability. Anywhere I am in the city, I can fire up a TV stream in perfect quality over mobile networks, at times even better than whatever place I'm at with their free wifi.
    You're right but if your customers are humans, the business needs to be a bit humane from time to time.
    If simply notifying in some manner that likely went to a spam folder meets the regulations, then that's a shame. Service should be cut off once a bill is 2x to 4x higher than normal and the onus is then back on the adult to contact Bell/Rogers/Telus and simply say "it's all good, switch me back on" or "holy crap - thanks for warning me". I don't know what extent the regulations demand on "notification".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast