Quantcast
Cheaper Unlimited Internet Options? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper Unlimited Internet Options?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Cheaper Unlimited Internet Options?

Hi guys,

My parents are currently with Telus on Fiber and have been for many many years, however, they are thinking of cord-cutting and getting rid of TV all together. Their current internet is like 50mbps line with 500gb montly limit, but with cutting of the TV service, they will probably be streaming random crap all the time, thus going over the limit. The internet is like $75-80 bucks but itself, so in effort to save costs (they are close to retirement, not much $$), I am thinking of switching them to any other kind of internet provider, as long as it's cheaper and unlimited, even if the speed is much slower, as long as it's enough to stream a couple of streams at the same time of Youtube and Netflix. I have been out of the intenet shopping game for many many years, last time I was involved 3web was still around....so i was wondering what options are available in Calgary for cheap internet providers, and if there are upfront costs with modem purchase etc.

I do plan on calling telus and saying that we will be canceling and seeing what they will offer, but I want to have all options on the table.

Thanks

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Unfortunately Shaw and Telus are your best bets.

Anything else just feeds off of them.

Also don't need unlimited.. If all they do is stream 200-300gb is more than plenty.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Telus has a good feature in the self serve that will show you actual usage. How much have they been using?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I pay 42$ with tax through Lightspeed. 75 down / 7.5 up unlimited.

You can either rent a modem (I think 4$ a month) or buy one outright (100$? I think*), there's no install fee at the moment if you order online.

I believe Teksavvy and Nucleus internet are in the same ball park. Probably good to shop them all as they might have deals on the modem or something.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Hi guys,

My parents are currently with Telus on Fiber and have been for many many years, however, they are thinking of cord-cutting and getting rid of TV all together. Their current internet is like 50mbps line with 500gb montly limit, but with cutting of the TV service, they will probably be streaming random crap all the time, thus going over the limit. The internet is like $75-80 bucks but itself, so in effort to save costs (they are close to retirement, not much $$), I am thinking of switching them to any other kind of internet provider, as long as it's cheaper and unlimited, even if the speed is much slower, as long as it's enough to stream a couple of streams at the same time of Youtube and Netflix. I have been out of the intenet shopping game for many many years, last time I was involved 3web was still around....so i was wondering what options are available in Calgary for cheap internet providers, and if there are upfront costs with modem purchase etc.

I do plan on calling telus and saying that we will be canceling and seeing what they will offer, but I want to have all options on the table.

Thanks
    Telus retention should be really good. Seems like they've been giving 2 year retention deals which is great because you don't have to call in every few months depending when the discounts expire. So I would give that a try. Unless you're looking for something long term.
    I'm currently on Telus 750/750 unlimited for $50+tax. I can PM you some screenshots if you like because it will help you get the discounts with retention. They will ask to see if you can email them something.

I also recently extended my parents Shaw internet with a 2 year value plan @ $55 for 600/20 unlimited. So retention deals can definitely be had.

Both providers includes their latest equipment rental at no extra cost.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

Thanks guys. Lightspeed seems like it might be just what I need, I presume it's a Shaw reseller. I looked and it's $89.99 for a modem purchase, or $169 if you want a modem/router combo with Wifi. I looked at my parents usage and they only do about 150gb per month on the monthly, but this would definitely go up if all they got is streaming. Currently really it's just my dad watching Russian shows/movies on Youtube with a Roku, but he is famous for just falling asleep on the couch and the stream just continuing all night or whatever.

It's a major pain in the ass for me for them to switch, but it's currently $160 per month for them for TV and Internet, and they don't want to pay that much anymore. I will call telus and see, I have done it before a few times and they have always offered some discount if I call in and agree to another couple year term, so perhaps i can bring it down to something my parents would be happy with. I know for a fact they will miss normal TV as they like to have something going in the background even when not watching.

I'm on Telus as well and have previously gotten retention type deals, and since both accounts are under my name, i should be able to get discount on both lines. I have no intentions of ever leaving telus, love my super reliable fiber connection too much

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

isn't unlimited $15 with TELUS? Also, I got TELUS 300 for $55 include 2 years of unlimited. I still don't use more than 500 gb

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    isn't unlimited $15 with TELUS? Also, I got TELUS 300 for $55 include 2 years of unlimited. I still don't use more than 500 gb
    Unlimited is $15 on top of the base price. I think without the unlimited its 1tb of data included.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    It is, but add that on top of normal $80 for 50mbs, you are looking at $100 for internet alone. I have been with Telus forever and have unlimited, but it's listed as a loyalty free addition.

My worry is that even if I stick with Telus, if I cancel the TV portion they won't be too interested in giving me discounts on internet, plus $40 a month with Lightspeed looks pretty good, 25mbps more with unlimited for half the normal price from Telus. We will see how this plays out. If I can get TV and internet for ~$100 for a couple of years for parents then they may just stick with that.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    It is, but add that on top of normal $80 for 50mbs, you are looking at $100 for internet alone. I have been with Telus forever and have unlimited, but it's listed as a loyalty free addition.

My worry is that even if I stick with Telus, if I cancel the TV portion they won't be too interested in giving me discounts on internet, plus $40 a month with Lightspeed looks pretty good, 25mbps more with unlimited for half the normal price from Telus. We will see how this plays out. If I can get TV and internet for ~$100 for a couple of years for parents then they may just stick with that.
    Look up some channels on the Roku. When I switched my parents they had a few shows they wanted to watch like survivor and young and the restless so I was able to add CBS on the roku for an extra like 8$ a month or something so they get a bit of live TV.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Check how much your parents use and at what speed.
    Im with Telus, but I found Teksavvy at a similar price. Im waiting till my promo finishes then I'l switch.

My Ride
    Bicycle

This is a Shaw resellers:

https://www.can-com.com/Bundles/Inte...-Phone-Bundles

You can buy a modem for $60 or pay rental for $5/mth.

All plans are unlimited, just pick the speed. But since you are on Telus, you may want to find a Telus reseller. Support via these firms are never good because Shaw and Telus put them into lower tier of response when you have trouble.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Bump -
    shaw has 'rate adjusted' me up. Anyone getting anything good out of retention without signing the 2 year plan? I don't anticipate cancelling within 2 years so may go that route anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Bump -
    shaw has 'rate adjusted' me up. Anyone getting anything good out of retention without signing the 2 year plan? I don't anticipate cancelling within 2 years so may go that route anyway
    I simply called them, said I was happy and wasn't going to cancel or anything I just wanted to see if they could offer me "X" deal and they said no problem. They even did the math for me to see which combination of promotion and discretionary "retention" deal would be cheapest for me. They were super pleasant. That ended up being a pretty standard deal that most people got, but my last experience with them was very good. The 2-year deals are where it's at though - by far the best pricing (from what I've seen) and they can't change your rate. You're also first in line to get the next wave of deals at renewal time. Price went down last time too, compared to the previous 2-year deals.

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Telus folks - is there some sort of trick or method to actually get a retention/loyalty person on the phone?

I have a 2-yr plan with Telus, and this month they randomly overcharged me by $8. So I contacted them and the rep couldn't offer any explanation as to my bill was $8 higher than regular, and then offered me a $5 discount (so still a $3 overpay over my agreed-upon plan). I said no, that's not the agreement, put it back to the correct amount. They said the only person who could do that was a loyalty rep, and they would have a loyalty rep contact me within 2-3 business days. After a whole week no call, so I contacted them again, and told them if they didn't fix my bill or have the loyalty rep call me by the end of the day, that I would cancel. Again, no call.

Not sure what to do at this point. I'm happy with my internet/tv services but this level of atrocious customer service is nuts. Advice?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Telus used to have thier loyalty /retentions people only available by phone. Not sure of that's the case still. So using online chat means you can never be "transferred" to retentions.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

If you're truly unhappy with their service, put your money where your mouth is and cancel them. That's the only thing that matters to them. Switch to Shaw or something else. Their service isn't going to magically improve if you eventually get your $3 back.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Quote Originally Posted by a social dsease View Post
    Telus folks - is there some sort of trick or method to actually get a retention/loyalty person on the phone?

I have a 2-yr plan with Telus, and this month they randomly overcharged me by $8. So I contacted them and the rep couldn't offer any explanation as to my bill was $8 higher than regular, and then offered me a $5 discount (so still a $3 overpay over my agreed-upon plan). I said no, that's not the agreement, put it back to the correct amount. They said the only person who could do that was a loyalty rep, and they would have a loyalty rep contact me within 2-3 business days. After a whole week no call, so I contacted them again, and told them if they didn't fix my bill or have the loyalty rep call me by the end of the day, that I would cancel. Again, no call.

Not sure what to do at this point. I'm happy with my internet/tv services but this level of atrocious customer service is nuts. Advice?
    Call and choose the option to cancel. That goes to retention.

Quote Originally Posted by a social dsease View Post

i called last month and told the agent i just can't afford the services now that the credits expired and would like to talk to someone about renewing them. they transferred me right away to loyalty.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Bump -
    Follow up. Went from the 75 internet for $88/month to Internet 300 for 85/month for 2 year locked in. Through Chat. See if i even notice the difference but cant complain too much..

but now that i dig more, they have new signups for internet 300 on 2-year valueplan for $50/month for first 12 months, and then $70 month for the 13-24 months..

see if i can fight them on it.Difference of $600 over 2 years. Hell, i'll cancel and put it under my wives name if that's the case
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 03-29-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast