Quantcast
Filing a Car Crash Police Report, Dude tries to cut in, I don't let him in... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Filing a Car Crash Police Report, Dude tries to cut in, I don't let him in...

Default Filing a Car Crash Police Report, Dude tries to cut in, I don't let him in...

*please move thread if it's in the wrong place.

I had a fender bender today with a guy that first tried to cut into my lane.
    This first happened where Beddington Trail to Deerfoot goes from 3 to 2 lanes. I was in the middle lane, he came flying in on the right at the last second into a space not big enough for his F-150 truck.
    He proceeded to ride the shoulder next to me.
    I was kinda in both remaining lanes, he backed off and followed me.

I stayed in the right lane, heading up to 64 ave. He went passed me on the right lane. I change lanes, following him, heading to the left turn lights to 64, he slammed on the brakes. I attempted to stop but failed. I know there are no cars ahead of him

I have video footage all of this.

However, how much should I be putting on the police report? Just the moment of impact? How there were no car ahead of him and he stop suddenly? Is the evens leading up to him slamming brakes something to mention?
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Yikes. Maybe just mention the brake check and give footage of just the brake check. Shitty situation for you to be in, because at the end of the day you hit him not the other way around.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferio_vti View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

This first happened where Beddington Trail to Deerfoot goes from 3 to 2 lanes. I was in the middle lane, he came flying in on the right at the last second into a space not big enough for his F-150 truck.

I stayed in the right lane, heading up to 64 ave. He went passed me on the right lane. I change lanes, following him, heading to the left turn lights to 64, he slammed on the brakes. I attempted to stop but failed. I know there are no cars ahead of him

However, how much should I be putting on the police report? Just the moment of impact? How there were no car ahead of him and he stop suddenly? Is the evens leading up to him slamming brakes something to mention?
    Give your account of the events as honestly and accurately as possible. Provide the full video. Better to give more detail than not enough- you can count on the other driver trying to fuck you over.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

Good thing you got it all on camera, next time don't follow these type of fools, I would provide all the video

Quote Originally Posted by Ferio_vti View Post

I wouldn't go into a bunch of detail. But it doesn't hurt your case to mention he was driving erratically and trying to pass on the shoulder prior to this. Either way, your video is going to be your evidence for the actual dangerous driving you would be trying to have him nailed for.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I hope you didn't tell him you have a dashcam. These types of people deserve to be charged with filing a false police report.

I explained a detailed summary with insurance, mentioned I have video.
    But I don't think the earlier part is needed for the police report. Just moment of impact details.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think he saw the dashcam.
    He was also filming on his cellphone when he got out.
    I refused to get out of my car, as I felt threatened. Also, I think he wanted me to talk/say things he could get recorded.
    we showed info thru the window.
    Damn +44411's

Playing the devil's advocate, could he not just claim he thought he saw an animal or something run out in front of thim, and you should have been a more safe distance behind him? Whether or not that is true, as long as he says he thought he saw something, it is reasonable to slam the brakes just in case, and there should have been no accident if following at a proper distance.

He sounds like a giant d-bag but I feel like even with video all he would have to do is say he thought he saw something he needed to stop for, no? What if this exact same thing happened (minus the ill intent) and the front car honestly did think they saw something dart out, so they floored the brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Playing the devil's advocate, could he not just claim he thought he saw an animal or something run out in front of thim, and you should have been a more safe distance behind him? Whether or not that is true, as long as he says he thought he saw something, it is reasonable to slam the brakes just in case, and there should have been no accident if following at a proper distance.

He sounds like a giant d-bag but I feel like even with video all he would have to do is say he thought he saw something he needed to stop for, no? What if this exact same thing happened (minus the ill intent) and the front car honestly did think they saw something dart out, so they floored the brakes?
    You make a good point. One thing to point out, he came to my car, saying repeatedly that it's my fault cuz I was following too close, hoping I would react or something.
    Sounds like that will be his story for now...
    I guess we'll just see what happens...
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Yeah, it's almost impossible to prove a brake check with the intent to cause harm. If the cam footage shows aggressive driving leading up to the brake check it would help but still a long shot. All he has to say is he was having chest pains and hit the brakes. 99% of the time backing away from these ragers before an incident is the best bet.

Good luck OP, hopefully this works out for you.

Let's see the video

My Ride
    NC1

What a shitty situation all around and yup, let's see the video.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Let's see the video
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I'm interested in the outcome but I think the OP is SOL. For example if I saw a shadow or something on the road, thought it was a dog or a child, and slammed on the brakes, it wouldn't be my fault if someone hit me from behind. The dash cam in the following vehicle wouldn't necessarily capture what the lead driver saw, and that shouldn't matter as long as the lead driver thought they saw something. It's something very easily abused if your plan is in fact to brake-check someone and cause an accident they will then be liable for. I think the insurance response will be that regardless of the lead car's intentions, the accident would never have occurred if following at a safe distance. Frustrating for sure, especially because it really sounds like this guy did it on purpose.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

yeah i think you're fucked, if you couldn't stop, you were following too close, regardless of how quickly and unexpectedly he stopped.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Depends on what the douche says happened to the police /insurance. If he says there was a car in front of him, the video shows otherwise.

My Ride
    E90

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Depends on what the douche says happened to the police /insurance. If he says there was a car in front of him, the video shows otherwise.
    yep, hopefully his statement is false and the video proves him wrong.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Brake check or not, a rear ending is always 100% fault of the person behind unfortunately. He could have any amount of things he can say he stopped for. Unfortunately filing a false report won’t change the fault for the accident just cause the other driver problems potentially, but I don’t know if the dash cam will show that he stopped for no reason.

How did the conversation go right after the collision? You both knew what’s up at that point, or did you not talk to one another?

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

What the police report says vs what insurance sees is two different things. its as simple as you hit a car infront of you. it doesn't matter why, what happened before, or if he slammed on his brakes for fun.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast