Quantcast
Teen dies during 'completely random' home invasion attack, police shoot intruder - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Teen dies during 'completely random' home invasion attack, police shoot intruder

Default Teen dies during 'completely random' home invasion attack, police shoot intruder

This really bothered me personally and it's so sad. Makes me super angry to see this. The teen called 911 quickly but it was too late as the operator could hear him getting beat to death before cops showed up. This shit can happen ANYWHERE and I just want everyone to have a plan and weapon to defend themselves and their family. Cops may not make it to your home in time so keep a baseball bat / knife / hammer / whatever that you're comfortable with to defend yourself.

Unfortunately you can't use a gun to defend yourself and it can take too much time to unlock and load. Keep a weapon handy and hope to never use it but it'll be there if you need it. I remember back in Elementary school in University Heights, a home invader killed the dad of 2 twin girls in my class, that stuck with me and it's so sickening. Keep you and your family safe everyone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...bers-1.5044016

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This really bothered me personally and it's so sad. Makes me super angry to see this. The teen called 911 quickly but it was too late as the operator could hear him getting beat to death before cops showed up. This shit can happen ANYWHERE and I just want everyone to have a plan and weapon to defend themselves and their family. Cops may not make it to your home in time so keep a baseball bat / knife / hammer / whatever that you're comfortable with to defend yourself.

Unfortunately you can't use a gun to defend yourself and it can take too much time to unlock and load. Keep a weapon handy and hope to never use it but it'll be there if you need it. I remember back in Elementary school in University Heights, a home invader killed the dad of 2 twin girls in my class, that stuck with me and it's so sickening. Keep you and your family safe everyone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...bers-1.5044016
    The assailant was well known to police. This is a tragic case of violent offenders being allowed to roam free because our justice system allows them to do so.

EDIT: My reply sounds insensitive, I do not mean it as such. Rest in peace to the victim of such a horrific crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Silverado

I wonder why the name of the attacker wasn't in the article

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

This is why I have a few implements around my house. Always within reach.

I had my garage door blow open and my little alarm go off. I was out of bed in a flash with my softball bat in hand running for the garage. Found nothing, but at least my kids always pee themselves a little with laughter when they recount me running outside in my underwear.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

You certainly can use a firearm to defend your home and family, even with the current storage regulations. You can purchase bio-metric safes which open very quickly at the push of a fingerpad, or even a rapid 3 button code. Under the current storage regulations anything regarded as a safe/vault can have restricted firearms stored without trigger locks, as well as have ammunition stored inside with the firearms. Have a shoulder supported carbine/shotgun, along with a handgun(optional), with loaded magazines alongside. Ta-da. If you're really THAT worried, you can build cubby holes/shelves in various places in your home, and put a poster over top of them, and have a small safe with a springloaded door with the same biometric/key combo rapid opening system, again, along with loaded magazines inside. Just punch through the poster, and gain access to your safe/cubby hole.

IMO relying on tools/bats/edged weapons beats nothing, but they are all far from the best options, in fact retreating to a pre built safe room is a far better option than going toe to toe with a threat at bat/knife fighting range, again IMO. Also, just having defensive weapons is one thing, being able to properly and consistently employ them is another - that requires training, and in terms of defending a fixed position/location like your home, pre planning as well.

For starters have a solid door on every room, with a good lock, and a door-kick resistant door jamb/stop on the floor in the corner of each doorway inside the room. Train your family if faced with an intruder/threat to rapidly retreat to the closest room and engage the lock and floor jamb bar. Have old cell phones in every lockable room on a charger, even without a plan they are still able to access the 911 and other emergency services. The door jambs we use were only $40USD each - an example of how a simple thing that can be quickly positioned works - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnJ-HSrbEoA

This and many other simple measures can be taken to greatly increase your security and make your home a harder target, with and without firearms...
    Last edited by Gman.45; 03-05-2019 at 11:55 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Because in Canada... he is the real true victim

The courts will need to ensure he get an NCR and that tax payers foot the bill for his identity change and college education
    Heh, yep, I wonder when the Trudeau government will start implementing "deferred prosecution" for regular street criminals too....

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    Unfortunately you can't use a gun to defend yourself]
    I've seen this myth perpetuated so many times .... here we go again:

In Canada we have the right to defend against deadly force with, deadly force. This has been shown time and time again. Obviously, shooting at fleeing perps is a non starter.

A case in SK not too long ago - a woman shot an UNARMED intruder, no charges were ever laid.
    https://thestarphoenix.com/news/crim...-duplex-police

A shotgun (most) are unrestricted and can be kept unlocked and unloaded around the house.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    A shotgun (most) are unrestricted and can be kept unlocked and unloaded around the house.
    Lolwut. I get what you are trying to say here, but just the way this is written as a general statement is pretty terrible advice.

GMan’s safe advice is much better if you don’t want want to end up with storage charges.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Legal or not. As the saying goes, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Anyone came breaking into my home, they would not be met with an easy time that's for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Lolwut. I get what you are trying to say here, but just the way this is written as a general statement is pretty terrible advice.

GMan’s safe advice is much better if you don’t want want to end up with storage charges.
    The only poor advice is that a shotgun is not an optimal close quarters weapon.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Except research has shown guns at home don't increase safety, rather they increase the odds of homicide and suicide by x2 and x3, respectively. Moreover, there is a significantly higher risk of dying in an automotive accident than a lethal break-in.

This is a gratuitous and horrific event, no question, at all. OP hope you're doing alright, events like this can surprisingly bring up stuff in your past you long thought you dealt with.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'd guess that owning a gun also raises your odds of getting shot by someone else's guns. Wonder if that stat exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

You can buy biometric safes that are actually spring loaded, so the door opens by itself and it further extends the firearm out for you to grasp handle-first. Takes about the same amount of time as pulling a knife out of a kitchen block. Pistols are fairly poor home defense items though because most people don't have any stress training and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn while fearing for their lives in close quarters.

Pepper spray is a really good thing to have on hand, non-lethal, purchasable by anyone, and extremely easy to use/hit with. Your average homeowner wielding a knife with zero combat experience is a recipe for disaster.

I also don't know how this person got in the house, but there are a lot of relatively cheap/simple things you can do to make your home way harder to enter for the average opportunist criminal.

In Canada, the only thing to remember is if you do get in a fight like this, make sure you finish the job and tell everyone you truly feared for your life or you could end up in jail way longer than the intruder.

If someone enters your home like this, it is extremely irresponsible and naive to assume anything other than the worst (I.e. they are there to harm you or your family). The last thing you want to do is wait and see what they do before deciding what level of force to use as it will be far too late by then.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-06-2019 at 10:41 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I don't need a gun, I have a dog. Nor do I need to worry about a homicide or suicide by dog.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Except research has shown guns at home don't increase safety, rather they increase the odds of homicide and suicide by x2 and x3, respectively. Moreover, there is a significantly higher risk of dying in an automotive accident than a lethal break-in.

This is a gratuitous and horrific event, no question, at all. OP hope you're doing alright, events like this can surprisingly bring up stuff in your past you long thought you dealt with.
    Yeah they can manipulate all sorts of anecdotal statistics to prove whatever they want. I don't think it's any surprise that gun related accidents go up in homes that have guns. Duh! Show me the statistic on gun related accidents in homes that practice responsible gun ownership vs homes that do not. If such a statistic was measurable you'd see pretty quick that guns aren't the problem, retards are.

Nobody should own a gun if they aren't comfortable with them. But I know if I ever need one, I'll be happier to know it's there than if I didn't have one at all and had to fight an intruder with a kitchen knife.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Yeah they can manipulate all sorts of anecdotal statistics to prove whatever they want.
    Research is the gold standard. Until it challenges someone's internal belief system. Then it's a bullshit conspiracy to support a narrative.

Carry on.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Research is the gold standard. Until it challenges someone's internal belief system. Then it's a bullshit conspiracy to support a narrative.

Carry on.
    Well, here's some research for you - there were over 7 million registered firearms in the RCMP database, and the RCMP's lowball estimates of non compliance was 35%, which means at least 10 million firearms in Canada. RCMP stats also showed that every 3rd home in Canada had on average at least 2 firearms, while in the Central/Western Provinces this went up to every 2nd home. If firearms ownership increases the odds of homicide/suicide by such a factor, shouldn't we be seeing 10000x the number of suicides and homicides?

The problem with that age old statistic from your first post is that there is NO way to prove a negative - ie that statistic was formulated by taking the number of homicides/suicides in homes without firearms, vs those with firearms, and the method used being a firearm in all those specific cases. Even then it's wildly inaccurate. Look at the sample sizes as well...

There are on average about 6000 suicides in Canada each year, of which 10% or less are done with a firearm on average the last 2 decades. There are roughly 800 firearm related deaths in Canada each year over the last 10, of which 130-200 are homicides. Several times more homicides happen in Canada each year as well without a firearm.

Then balance these RCMP bases statistics against the number of times violence from criminals is stopped using a firearm (I'm not including L/E in this), as well as the immeasurable deterrence factor, and that pretty much sinks the whole "having a firearm ensures a 2 or 3x higher chance of there being a suicide or homicide in your home" scare statistic IMO.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

This gun storage solution seems to work well when intruders get in, I think Ikea sells them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txn9y0ulBGk&t=2m0s

Bah, video owner has disabled playback on other sites.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I agree there are always increased risks with a firearm in the house - but the Canadian tale of "YOU CANT LEGALLY DEFEND YOURSELF WITH A GUN IN CANADA" is complete horseshit.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

@gman.35 From your previous posts, it is obvious that you have abundant firearms training and a strong grasp on 'guns' as a whole - in other words, you're coming from a very respectable position pertaining to this topic. It's important to keep that in mind and how that shapes your perspective when talking about subject matter that encompasses the population as a whole, and not your 1 or 2 degrees of separation. Lets be clear - what you're stating are numbers and asking for correlations, or reasons. This is not research.

For example, this is research:
    https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/1...ers-systematic

Because I do not possess the level of knowledge these authors do, I cannot and will not attempt to answer your questions. I would strongly suggest you to bring your knowledge, training and experience into an email and inquire further with the authors. It will be far more effective and enlightening. If and when you do, please report back with what you find to benefit us all.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast