Quantcast
Sick while on vacation... Get vacation days back? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick while on vacation... Get vacation days back?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed, not sure why all the hate, it is obviously a thing, as crazy as it may sound. No I am not part of any union and don't work in any kind of a government.
    I think it starts with jealousy, with a dollop of stubborn arrogance. "I don't have that why should they!" Also, it seems like there are a lot of people out there that simply like to see others suffer so they can feel better about themselves.

This type of thing is quite common. It's been available in every company I've ever worked for. I also make sure I work for companies that value their staff and don't treat them as a cheap commodity. Ensuring staff get adequate vacation ensures they stay productive and don't burn out. I think it's great that a lot of companies recognize the difference between sick time and vacation time. It's a sign of a good company culture. I think they also forget that paid sick leave is legislated in Alberta, so functionally its no different to use and have a nice feel good perk.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you company has it, that's a great perk. But if your company doesn't, I sure wouldn't complain about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by codetrap View Post
    I think it starts with jealousy, with a dollop of stubborn arrogance. "I don't have that why should they!" Also, it seems like there are a lot of people out there that simply like to see others suffer so they can feel better about themselves.
    Beyond reeks of this lately.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Interesting situation...

I think I would allow my staff to credit his/her vacation days back if this happens to them, as long as we are talking about sick like hospitalization, not catching a cold...

My Ride
    Ford F150

Never in my life would I have ever imagined this scenario or that work benefit. Colour me shocked.

If your job offers it however, take it. I'm a vocal supporter for employees using up every cent of possible benefits allotted to them, it's all calculated in your salary anyways. If you can sneak a few more vacation days from getting a doctors note, do it.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Beyond reeks of this lately.
    The whole country is like this. If I can’t have it, nobody can.

Lots of union bashing too, probably from people who haven’t spent any time in one. Unions changed the world. That’s why we have weekends, and benefits. You don’t think an employer would take all that shit away if they could? Are they perfect? No. But they’re pretty good for a lot of people.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If you company has it, that's a great perk. But if your company doesn't, I sure wouldn't complain about it.
    ExtraSlow is right again.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Wouldn't this be the case where your manager allows you to use your sick days, instead of vacation days? That way, you get to keep your vacation days later on.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by 95EagleAWD View Post

Lots of union bashing too, probably from people who haven’t spent any time in one.
    There could be some beneficial trade Unions still, perhaps. Government Unions? Run by trash.

- This opinion brought to you by 12 years Government Union employment including direct involvement in transitioning a sector from Executive Government to a new Crown Corp, negotiating the creation of a new Collective Agreement and enforcing it for 4 years on the Union side provincially. In my current career, I was hired to build the local headquarters for
    a massive national Union on the proviso we didn't reveal who our client was. They specifically hired our non-union business because they couldn't afford union labour. That experience should me how crooked and hypocritical the rest of them are.

So we don't all hate unions because we haven't been in them
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 03-10-2019 at 04:42 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    Wouldn't this be the case where your manager allows you to use your sick days, instead of vacation days? That way, you get to keep your vacation days later on.
    Unless this is a trick question....this is exactly what this whole thread is about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by codetrap View Post

This type of thing is quite common. It's been available in every company I've ever worked for. I also make sure I work for companies that value their staff and don't treat them as a cheap commodity. Ensuring staff get adequate vacation ensures they stay productive and don't burn out. I think it's great that a lot of companies recognize the difference between sick time and vacation time. It's a sign of a good company culture. I think they also forget that paid sick leave is legislated in Alberta, so functionally its no different to use and have a nice feel good perk.

I agree with your post 100%....starting with the first line.

I am with you about picking the right company to work for, I believe mine is one of those types of companies, but being a multinational, the rules that apply to Canada don't always to USA, the whole idea of a Flex day is foreign to them for example, and since my new boss is from there I don't think he values the culture we have down here or understands it, but more on that later, will see the outcome tomorrow morning.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Unless this is a trick question....this is exactly what this whole thread is about.
    I don't think he read anything in this thread.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Lots of union bashing too, probably from people who haven’t spent any time in one. Unions changed the world. That’s why we have weekends, and benefits. You don’t think an employer would take all that shit away if they could? Are they perfect? No. But they’re pretty good for a lot of people.
    I've been with 3 unions in my time. They are mostly useless in the modern day and age, and with workers who are mobile and take initiative.

Unfortunately they are necessary in some industries and occasions still - I am looking at you, WestJet and how you pissed off the average worker.

We have much stricter labour laws in Canada than we did in the 1920s. Unions are nowhere near as necessary now.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

On topic - hopefully OP gets the deal, the best thing about hearing how many non Union businesses seem to offer such a policy is it further underlines how they're not needed to extort their members under the guise of "protection". Good luck OP!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I've been with 3 unions in my time. They are mostly useless in the modern day and age, and with workers who are mobile and take initiative.

Unfortunately they are necessary in some industries and occasions still - I am looking at you, WestJet and how you pissed off the average worker.

We have much stricter labour laws in Canada than we did in the 1920s. Unions are nowhere near as necessary now.
    I somewhat agree, and I definitely agree that unions are needed in airlines. ALPA is a great example of that. All Air Canada and WJ strike action (or close to) is good examples of why unions are good for them.

We may have stricter laws now, but look south. Decades of union busting, and erosion of those laws has led to shitty working conditions for a big chunk of the population down there. That's a direct result of union busting; it won't happen tomorrow, but it can happen.

Remember, I did end it with this...

Are they perfect? No. But they’re pretty good for a lot of people.

Wow the butthurt on this is hilarious. This is standard practice a lot of places, but it isn't even a perk. You get nothing extra for it. Yay! Got my vacation days back........... But now I have less sick days to use for the year. It's all even at the end of the year regardless how you code your time off. And honestly, I'd rather have the sick days left over, because you can use sick time whenever the hell you need it. Doesn't need to be requested and approved like vacation time. So if I was sick on vacation, I'd just let it lie, and then use my sick time as more days off whenever I feel like it.

But anyone crying about the way OP codes his time should just be happy they get vacation and sick time at all. I'm a private contractor and get neither of either. If I'm not at clients site, I don't get to invoice.

some peoples companies have awesome benefits for time off. If my wife wanted to she could take up to 5 months off work every year with little issue.

It's crazy and stupid but great to know if she needed the time off she could get it.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    It's crazy and stupid
    No, no it isn't. The LESS time I spend at work, all things considered, the happier I am. If I could comfortably take 5 MONTHS off, of course I would. Why the hell would you go to WORK instead of going ANYWHERE ELSE.

This isn't nearly as uncommon as some of you think - I think some people are just jealous of the policy haha. It's not even a perk the way it's often handled.

Some companies will even give you unpaid leaves of absences for as much as a year and guarantee your job back when you return. Some companies still have nap rooms.

Happy employees are way better workers, everyone wins - good companies understand this.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

No, no it isn't. The LESS time I spend at work, all things considered, the happier I am. If I could comfortably take 5 MONTHS off, of course I would. Why the hell would you go to WORK instead of going ANYWHERE ELSE.
    Some people obviously don’t hate what they do nearly as much as you lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Some people obviously don’t hate what they do nearly as much as you lol
    I feel bad for anyone that hates their life enough to love their job. lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast