Quantcast
Sick while on vacation... Get vacation days back? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Sick while on vacation... Get vacation days back?

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Faith in humanity, lost.
    My GF works in triage at one of the major hospitals in the city, people even take ambulances for hangovers because A) they think they will get seen faster if they arrive via ambulance (you don't) and B) there is no collections/recourse, even if they get billed for the ambulance ride. Sometimes they get a saline drip (which is presumably what most of them want), other times they just get to sit in a chair and sleep it off, but the doctor has to see them either way.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I agree with you that anything self-induced (and not contagious) should not be a reason to miss work or under-perform at work.
    Like injuries from Motorcycle accidents?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Sick days are encouraged to be accumulated in the event of a serious accident or illness so that you'd have 100% of your regular income vs going on short term disability which only pays 55% of your income.

Abusing sick days may give you short term satisfaction but in the long run you're just taking money out of your pockets if you ever needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by freshvibes View Post
    Sick days are encouraged to be accumulated in the event of a serious accident or illness so that you'd have 100% of your regular income vs going on short term disability which only pays 55% of your income.

Abusing sick days may give you short term satisfaction but in the long run you're just taking money out of your pockets if you ever needed it.
    Well I’ve never worked somewhere where sick days carry over so...

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

same. I can't even carry over vacation days. I either use them, or lose them.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    same. I can't even carry over vacation days. I either use them, or lose them.

So I'm currently on vacation right now and will probably need to do a root canal or tooth extraction. Can I get those recovery days back for it? Serious question, I know my work doesn't have this policy whatsoever as I work in the dealership trade so theres no such thing. But for curosity asking
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Like injuries from Motorcycle accidents?
    Most people don't intentionally get into a motorcycle accident, so no those are not the types of things I am taking about. I guess I should have been more clear but I was more referring to drugs/alcohol and the like, or you are tired because you stayed up all night so you call in "sick" instead of using a vacation day.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Most people don't intentionally get into a motorcycle accident, so no those are not the types of things I am taking about. I guess I should have been more clear but I was more referring to drugs/alcohol and the like, or you are tired because you stayed up all night so you call in "sick" instead of using a vacation day.
    I guess if any company had a policy like that they'd need to be pretty clear.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I guess if any company had a policy like that they'd need to be pretty clear.
    You can't ever prove it, so it doesn't really matter either way - people do it regardless and over time you just start to learn who the deadbeats are. There's always at least one in every workplace in my experience.

It's a big problem with AHS. Large numbers of nurses call in "sick" every long weekend, weekends in the summer, on holidays, etc. Nothing anyone can do about it so the system gets abused big time. You don't need a doctors note or anything either if it's just a few days at a time.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

You can't ever prove it, so it doesn't really matter either way - people do it regardless and over time you just start to learn who the deadbeats are. There's always at least one in every workplace in my experience.

It's a big problem with AHS. Large numbers of nurses call in "sick" every long weekend, weekends in the summer, on holidays, etc. Nothing anyone can do about it so the system gets abused big time. You don't need a doctors note or anything either if it's just a few days at a time.
    Works out for my wife who gets double time when her colleagues call in sick. She'll get calls for OT from time to time which is just an extra shift but it can be brutal to work two shifts in a row though.

What I will say is that nurses have a high rate of burnout and it's not an easy job so I won't sit on my ivory throne and tell them they shouldn't call in sick.

100% agree that you start learning who doesn't pull their weight because their sick days only ever fall conveniently on Fridays and Mondays.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Works out for my wife who gets double time when her colleagues call in sick. She'll get calls for OT from time to time which is just an extra shift but it can be brutal to work two shifts in a row though.

What I will say is that nurses have a high rate of burnout and it's not an easy job so I won't sit on my ivory throne and tell them they shouldn't call in sick.

100% agree that you start learning who doesn't pull their weight because their sick days only ever fall conveniently on Fridays and Mondays.
    Haha yeah my GF does the exact same thing when she's not the one making the calls to try and get people to come in. You only get double time for OT on certain days though, assuming it works the same as what I am exposed to (otherwise it's still time & a half). It used to be so plentiful that she almost only worked for 1.5-2X but they cracked down on it big time and there are a lot more nurses now who want it.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Broke my ankle today, was supposed to take tomorrow off. Damn straight I switched it to a sick day

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I always shake my head when friends claim they can take Friday off “sick” for a camping trip. Usually because of the way their union works 90% of their year is “blacked out”. Then they usually complain about how their careers are going nowhere.

Yea unions rock lol.

Also I don’t get sick days. Somehow the world hasn’t stopped spinning.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I always shake my head when friends claim they can take Friday off “sick” for a camping trip. Usually because of the way their union works 90% of their year is “blacked out”. Then they usually complain about how their careers are going nowhere.

Yea unions rock lol.

Also I don’t get sick days. Somehow the world hasn’t stopped spinning.
    huh?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    huh?
    Smaller words?

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

sick day for a weekend camping trip and another sick day for the Monday hangover

What times we live in

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Exactly.

fact.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Man did this thread ever derail, to be fair I knew I was opening a can of warms haha.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5