Quantcast
TV people - are LG any good? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: TV people - are LG any good?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Default TV people - are LG any good?

Costco has a couple of LG 50-inch for cheap, anyone have any thoughts on these?

They'll be used for cable and Netflix and that's about it.

Name:  Screenshot_20190310-194656.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  29.0 KB
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride

They have cheap ass Vizio units as well, @rage2 you have any input here on this end of the spectrum of cheap and reasonably sized?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I do not. I picked up a entry level Sansung UN50NU6900 for my parents at $500 a couple months ago, so these LG's aren't that cheap.

Really, I just make sure whatever cheap TV I get has calibration data out there (rtings really covers a ton of TVs include entry level) and that's my deciding factor haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Everything in that price range is about the same, brand doesn't matter too much if you're shopping the bottom end of the market. I have a 60" LG Plasma I bought around 5 years ago that is still perfect.

Those aren't that cheap though - basic 65" 4K TV's can be had for around $450 if you watch out for sales, if you just want a TV for general viewing and don't care too much about the rest.

Also the word "smart" usually adds at least $100 to the price and you can get the same features with an Amazon Fire Stick or similar.

Costco is nice to buy from because their extended warranty is so cheap, and remember you probably get an extra year with your credit card as well.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those aren't that cheap though - basic 65" 4K TV's can be had for around $450 if you watch out for sales, if you just want a TV for general viewing and don't care too much about the rest.
    @Mitsu3000gt what brands are you referring to at those costs please? Honestly it's been over 10 years since I bought a new TV, the 40 inch Samsung I bought then still works fine haha I literally just need it to provide background babble and fill a wall space in a new house beyond my kid watching shows on it so it just isn't something I care to spend even 1000 dollars on. And yeah, I use a chromecast at the moment to stream to the old tv for him, no big deal.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    @Mitsu3000gt what brands are you referring to at those costs please? Honestly it's been over 10 years since I bought a new TV, the 40 inch Samsung I bought then still works fine haha I literally just need it to provide background babble and fill a wall space in a new house beyond my kid watching shows on it so it just isn't something I care to spend even 1000 dollars on. And yeah, I use a chromecast at the moment to stream to the old tv for him, no big deal.
    RCA was the brand of the last one I saw sub-$500. Sometimes Toshiba. Occasionally you'll see a LG or Samsung down in that price range, usually just 55-60" instead of 65".

Many of the panels come out of the same factories though, especially in the lower price range they are all pretty well the same. Also with TV's it's hard to know what you're getting just by looking at the brand - just as one example, Sharp TV's are manufactured by Hisense in Mexico, but there are probably lots of people who would scoff at Hisense being a cheap Chinese brand and buy the Sharp instead haha. Some Samsung TV's use LG panels. Most brands have their manufacturing outsourced (not always to the same place), and it's especially common for the entry-level TV's.

From what you are describing it's usage will be, if you just want a basic TV for Netflix/cable, something like that would be totally fine if you're not doing any kind of critical watching - especially when its in your house and you have nothing to compare it to, every giant 4K TV looks awesome. For casual viewing, a 65" 4K from RCA or Toshiba or Hisense or Proscan or whoever will look way more impressive to most people than a 50" entry level LG that costs more.

If the TV can be 40-50" you can get it even cheaper, around $300 on sale for a basic one.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-11-2019 at 09:27 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Within reason, I just don't want to waste money on something that is used only for basic functions. I'm not going to feel more important having my friends see a 3000 dollar tv on my wall. That being said, it'll be on a lot so I don't want something that'll break in the first couple years.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

Most of the cheap TV's are cut from the same cloth - whether you spend $300 or $600 is mostly whether or not it says Samsung on the front in the entry level realm. I think a second-tier brand would be ideal for your application, that's what I'd buy if it was just for my kids and/or background noise. Buy an extended warranty if you want and you'll be covered for several years and still come out ahead financially. Lots of expensive TV's break within the first couple years too, it's a crap shoot either way.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

At that price range I'd consider a TCL. Bought one for my dad and it seems like the best bang for the buck