Quantcast
USA vs Apple - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: USA vs Apple

Default USA vs Apple

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/21/tech/...doj/index.html

Could be the easiest win ever. Apple has without doubt made a walled garden and crippled anyone trying to enter that garden.

As for the legality of it, should it actually be a level playing field? Is Tonya Harding your competition, simply USA competition?
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The only section where I partially agree with the DOJ is what Apple is doing in the App Store. It’s purely to print money for them. Apple users are wealthier, and spend way more on App Store and transactions than google users. Devs make a choice, stay out of this lucrative business, or pay 30% to Apple. Def some anti competitive actions in there.

The messaaging stuff is stupid. Everyone has a choice to install a variety of apps for messaging. Just because assholes like me don’t do it and your messages are green doesn’t make Apple monopolistic. It makes me an asshole. Amirite @Buster ?

The CarPlay stuff is just laughable and doj have no fucking clue what they’re talking about.

Dunno about Apple Watch as I don’t use it. AirTags, I love them. Android can open up their apis to allow it. But they won’t because it’s a massive privacy issue to let anyone do it.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

A company with 20% market share being accused of being a monopoly?

So fucking stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only section where I partially agree with the DOJ is what Apple is doing in the App Store. It’s purely to print money for them. Apple users are wealthier, and spend way more on App Store and transactions than google users. Devs make a choice, stay out of this lucrative business, or pay 30% to Apple. Def some anti competitive actions in there.

The messaaging stuff is stupid. Everyone has a choice to install a variety of apps for messaging. Just because assholes like me don’t do it and your messages are green doesn’t make Apple monopolistic. It makes me an asshole. Amirite @Buster ?

The CarPlay stuff is just laughable and doj have no fucking clue what they’re talking about.

Dunno about Apple Watch as I don’t use it. AirTags, I love them. Android can open up their apis to allow it. But they won’t because it’s a massive privacy issue to let anyone do it.
    Apple's strategy for their messaging app does nothing but hurt Apple users.

iMessage is iRetarded.

My Ride
    Bicycle

iMessage with RCS probably take care of the complain. Just switched to iPhone as I'm last hold out and I have to say the quality of images and videos on iMessage between iPhone users are way better than all other platforms. RCS should fixed this except RCS implementation is a crapshoot. Pixel and Samsung works. Samsung with iPhone seems to work already? But other Android brands is YMMV.

As for the switch, meh. Other than smoother animation, iOS navigation sucks. But it does suck less now it adopted a bunch of Android way of doing things. The switch isn't as horrible as it was 5 years ago when I tried it.

Carplay is a crashy POS tho. Not sure if MBUX's fault or my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

So fucking stupid.
    Well, 87% market share for teenagers in US. 58% for 18-34 and quite solid 50% across other age ranges. Probably not as bad in other countries but even S. Korea reported 25% share for the 1st time. That's Samsung's turf with ton's of Apple feature blocked and delayed.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-23-2024 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    iMessage with RCS probably take care of the complain. Just switched to iPhone as I'm last hold out and I have to say the quality of images and videos on iMessage between iPhone users are way better than all other platforms. RCS should fixed this except RCS implementation is a crapshoot. Pixel and Samsung works. Samsung with iPhone seems to work already? But other Android brands is YMMV.

As for the switch, meh. Other than smoother animation, iOS navigation sucks. But it does suck less now it adopted a bunch of Android way of doing things. The switch isn't as horrible as it was 5 years ago when I tried it.

Carplay is a crashy POS tho. Not sure if MBUX's fault or my phone.

Well, 87% market share for teenagers in US. 58% for 18-34 and quite solid 50% across other age ranges. Probably not as bad in other countries but even S. Korea reported 25% share for the 1st time. That's Samsung's turf with ton's of Apple feature blocked and delayed.
    Its 61.3% overall in the US. More than half of the total market in a given region i would say is monopolistic.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    Its 61.3% overall in the US. More than half of the total market in a given region i would say is monopolistic.
    Well when there are only 2 choices in the market someone is going to be over 50%.

It’s not apples fault that all the other incumbents who had decades of head start couldn’t make a profitable go of the smartphone transition.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Well when there are only 2 choices in the market someone is going to be over 50%.

It’s not apples fault that all the other incumbents who had decades of head start couldn’t make a profitable go of the smartphone transition.
    Yeah, I'm not an apple guy, but calling it "monopolistic" is kind of a weird take. There's probably some kind of "anti-competitive" behavior in terms of the app store, but it seems the lawsuit is much more broad than that. This seem like an activist position the DOJ is taking.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yeah, I'm not an apple guy, but calling it "monopolistic" is kind of a weird take. There's probably some kind of "anti-competitive" behavior in terms of the app store, but it seems the lawsuit is much more broad than that. This seem like an activist position the DOJ is taking.
    Well if under 20 has 87% market, fast forward a few decade, it could rival IE market share back in the days.

And I don't get the App store fees either. Steam, Google both charges the same. And there are plenty of competition against those market leaders on those platforms.

In the meantime, Tesla/Meta/Rivian are all doing their own stores as well and everyone sub to Google Automotive default to Play Store.

So is DOJ's end game that if you offer a store front on your platform, you must allow other storefronts?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-23-2024 at 11:56 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Yea, nobody really brags about it because most people don’t notice, but WhatsApp videos looks like potato quality compared to iMessage sent videos. iMessage will send videos at 4k hdr but reduced bitrate. If you’re on shitty internet, it’ll send at hd resolution but once on good WiFi upgrades back to 4k hdr max.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If you read the lawsuit, DOJ is defining monopoly based on “performance mobile phone” which excludes cheap shit, then by revenue, and in that scope it’s a monopoly. Literally rewriting the rules. Should’ve just shortcuted and called it a monopoly by profits where iPhone owns something like 105% of profits. Over 100% because there are phones that are loss leaders.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Us government uses the courts as a tool of activism, which is crazy usurpation of what should be legeslative powers.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

The worst anti competitive behavior is iOS constantly asking if I want to continue letting Google maps have location access. Choosing “Always Allow” to Apple means “Allow for now, nag me again next week”. Of course it doesn’t do this for its own apps.
    ---

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

So fucking stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Apple's strategy for their messaging app does nothing but hurt Apple users.

iMessage is iRetarded.
    Found the green bubble!!!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    The worst anti competitive behavior is iOS constantly asking if I want to continue letting Google maps have location access. Choosing “Always Allow” to Apple means “Allow for now, nag me again next week”. Of course it doesn’t do this for its own apps.
    Weird, I never have this and I use both. Apple Maps prob 70% of the time and google maps 30%. I do get that prompt on my nest app a couple times a year tho.

Just watch it start happening on Apple Maps now haha.