Quantcast
Recommendation: Compact car for $15-20K? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation: Compact car for $15-20K?

My Ride
    2018 Audi Q5 2.0T - Stage 2 Tuned

Default Recommendation: Compact car for $15-20K?

Hey all,

I have a family member looking for a compact car in the $15-20K range. I haven't shopped for a car in that range for a while, so I am looking for some suggestions...

Right now I am leaning towards recommending a 2019 Kia Forte, or looking at a used 2016 Civic, as they are both in the $17-19k range.

Any suggestions for a good, reliable compact in that price range that I'm missing?

Thanks Beyonders!

My Ride
    1.8GHZ of V-TECH

2L Civic

I travel often for work and drive a bunch of rentals on a monthly basis.

When comparing entry level compacts, Civics are the best.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:01 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

In the city, Honda fit > all. Highway, a little more weight gives a more relaxed drive.

Buy this one. Cheap, 11,000kms, so it's basically new.
    Name:  Screenshot_20190312-074518_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  42.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

I'd say a Golf TSI would be my choice.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Civic would be my choice. If its just city driving i'd go for the Fit, but get one 2015 onwards.

Corolla or Matrix is a option. But interior is outdated compared to the Honda. The 2019's have caught up.
    If Kia is a option, would not Hyundai Accent or Elantra be a option..?
    Are they paying cash/finance or both..?
    Last edited by tonytiger55; 03-12-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: My grammer is shit.

2016/17 Civic would be the easy choice in that price range IMHO. I don't think there is a better compact out there for the price, and you can still get a hatchback if you want.

My Ride
    NC1

I got a Kia Forte for a rental and it's a good car. My first experience with a heated steering wheel. Comfortably seats 5 and can put a few bodies in the trunk.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of those cars tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    I'd say a Golf TSI would be my choice.
    Always Always Always the best choice for a compact but now I'm back to being budget baller and not just budget lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Bicycle

Stay away from Civic's with 1.5T engine, especially used. There is oil dilution issue.

I believe they should have fixed the issue around 2019 model and going forward. Anything before that is up to owner getting the recall done.

Hyundai and Kia is fighting a engine recall right now for Theta II engine catching fire. Luckily I believe 2019 Forte is on Nu so it's not part of the recall. New Kia depreciates like mad tho, so make sure you are ready to drive that way past warranty to make it worthwhile.

And like Extraslow said, if you don't leave the city, Fit is a good car at that price range. But if you merge on highway or carry people onto highway often, you may not want a Fit.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-12-2019 at 11:44 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Partner has had her 2014 Hyundai Accent GLS, bought almost a year used, and we've had zero issues with it just regular maintenance. Bit noisy on the highway but more than acceptable. I think she paid something like $13K for it back then? Decent on gas too so we drive it almost exclusively. ~$30 for 500+km.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    In the city, Honda fit > all. Highway, a little more weight gives a more relaxed drive.

Buy this one. Cheap, 11,000kms, so it's basically new.
    Name:  Screenshot_20190312-074518_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  42.4 KB
    For a newer vehicle it's gone through quite a bit. It's a rebuilt title, Carproof shows a claim of $21k and later sold at auction.

My Ride
    4x4

10.5k$ for a brand new Nissan Micra. It's a shortened versa so it's a known entity... Decent enough, flip when warranty's almost up

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    10.5k$ for a brand new Nissan Micra. It's a shortened versa so it's a known entity... Decent enough, flip when warranty's almost up
    The issue I have with the Micra is the engine size relative to its body.
    In the UK, that car is usually bought with a 1L engine. You can get a 1.3. Its a city run around. You can take it on the highway, its not ideal though.
    It has a 1.5L engine here. I personally think thats waaay too big for that size. But meh..

My Ride
    4x4

I had the 88 1.3(?) Version - kinda handy could dead lift it in the parking lot (don't ask) easily. We can't have nice things in North America you know

My Ride
    BB6

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    The Micra is a solid, all-around vehicle. I'd buy another stripper model if I had a need for another car

When we were shopping we looked a the Micra because it was $9999 with a MT and no options (not even power windows). It is a POS, and ridiculously underpowered but that was expected for the starting price. Want an automatic and basic options that come standard on every other vehicle? It jumps up to around $16K and you might as well buy a 'real' car. That's how it was a few years ago anyway. I think it's still good for someone who wants a warranty and basic transportation for the lowest possible cost, but that's about it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-14-2019 at 08:48 AM.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    The issue I have with the Micra is the engine size relative to its body.
    In the UK, that car is usually bought with a 1L engine. You can get a 1.3. Its a city run around. You can take it on the highway, its not ideal though.
    It has a 1.5L engine here. I personally think thats waaay too big for that size. But meh..
    Are you saying the engine is too big for the car? If that is the case, I don't think I've ever heard anybody ever complain about an engine being too big for a car. It is hard to assess how fast (or slow) a Micra is since the world outside of America doesn't often do instrumented tests beyond fuel economy and braking distance but I would have a hard time thinking the car is overpowered if it can't muster a 1/4 mile time under 15 seconds. If it could do that, nobody would be buying a Fiesta ST. Automakers will rarely make anything other than a sports car that can routinely be driven past the limits of adhesion, whether in braking, cornering or accelerating, it just doesn't sit well with buyers and turns them off to the model, and brand.

Not to derail the thread or anything. I would go Civic or Cruze hatchback myself, especially if you can find a diesel (they do exist in hatchback but maybe not yet at the stated price point). Even if the Cruze is not the fastest, best handling or most reliable, its styling is enough to keep me interested long term.

My Ride
    FB6

I agree with the others saying that nothing beats a hatchback for the city. We have a Nissan Versa Note, it's basically Nissan's Honda Fit and it does it's job. I think I might replace it with a Fit though, as the Versa Note just feels cheap.

These little hatchbacks have so much room once you fold the rear seats down flat, it's like a mini cargo van. Tons of leg and head room for the rear passengers and the rear doors almost open 90° wide for better access too.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    For a newer vehicle it's gone through quite a bit. It's a rebuilt title, Carproof shows a claim of $21k and later sold at auction.
    Good detective work. I didn't look into that car at all. Agree it's not a bargain now that these facts are known.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    I agree with the others saying that nothing beats a hatchback for the city. We have a Nissan Versa Note, it's basically Nissan's Honda Fit and it does it's job. I think I might replace it with a Fit though, as the Versa Note just feels cheap.

These little hatchbacks have so much room once you fold the rear seats down flat, it's like a mini cargo van. Tons of leg and head room for the rear passengers and the rear doors almost open 90° wide for better access too.
    In 2015 we bought a Fit but the Versa was our second choice. Similar cars size-wise, but the Honda had the magic seats (you can fit a bike in there which is ridiculous), ~30% more power, better resale, no rattles/creaks, a better CVT, more options on the cheap trim levels, and had a much nicer interior. Rear leg room is amazing in both, not much different than an S-class or something haha. I've had a Versa Note as a rental a few times too in the States.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast